Is R0s neck more prone to be damaged than R9?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Andy California, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Andy California

Andy California Senior Member

This is a very serious question, even if it sounds silly. I am considering buying an R0 because of the slimmer neck. However, I have two concerns:
    1) Gibson neck/headstock breaks are no secret to anyone.
    2) Neck stability/susceptibility to twisting.

Could R0's slimmer neck be more suspectible to these two things? I know that I will be moving in the future and will have to transport the guitar as checked-in luggage on a plane.
    So could you guys please share some knowledge from your experience?

2. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

There are literally thousands of Gibson USA guitars with even slimmer 60s necks.

You're overthinking this.

RAG7890, dleake, Stuff and 7 others like this.
  3. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

I'm not sure where you're intending to travel, but I would NEVER ever never let an airline handle a guitar - especially United. They are infamous for damaging instruments. My advice would be to have the guitar UPS'd or handled with a special company. There's always a risk of damage no matter the method of shipment, as it all gets put on a plane and/or truck at some point. But it's way riskier to let an airline check it as baggage.

cherrysunburst00 and mudface like this.
  4. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Either buy a site for your guitar or fly business (first) class if you planning to travel with your instrument.

Checking-in your guitar is a 50/50 doesn’t matter how thick the neck is.

Some airline allow “musicians” to hand carry one instrument; it’d be best that you check with them.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  5. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

You might be able to hand carry it to the plane if you're that worried. They do it for large carryons. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask ahead of time.

cherrysunburst00 and jwehrman like this.
  6. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Delta put mine in the "captains closet" as a carry on. I called ahead and that was Delta's policy as of a few years ago.

Allegiant was going to charge extra for baggage and load it in the belly.

As already said probably best to check in advance.

cherrysunburst00 and jwehrman like this.
  7. DanD

DanD Senior Member

I think all shippers are somewhat of a risk too. UPS just destroyed my Marshall Astoria cab. they had been accident free for me over about 7 years. I guess everyone can have a bad day. :(

8. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  9. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

That SUCKS, Brother :(

10. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

11. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

Just buy an MIJ 1960 reissue. They are heaps sick aye

scott1970 likes this.
  12. toymaker

toymaker Senior Member

Research '61 SG neck problems or JPP headstock breaks...I think you will find the complaint ratio on par with R7-8-9's

Both of these reissues have necks smaller than your typical R0 - neither have a high failure rate or any known issues. First post pretty much nailed it - you are overthinking things.

I understand its a big investment - and if your not ready to make the leap, wait. Continue to do your research and READ more until your comfortable. Post like these however making statements with little support are not going to answer any questions you might have.

Yes, shipping a guitar can be a pain - thats why you pay proper attention, pack with care and extra padding and you will be fine. Again, G does not use any additional packaging for its slim necked guitars than they do for their beefiest when shipping them - they send them all out via a common carrier and over 99.999% of the product arrives safely with no issues. Want to know the best way to pack - search, read what others use when selling online - but please do not make it sound like there is a problem when none exist.

Statements like "Gibson neck/headstock breaks are no secret to anyone" make it sound like the R series commonly experience breaks when they do not - what they are susceptible to is damage when dropped or mishandled with a direct impact to the headstock - just like any item would be. I cant drop my computer 4 or 5 feet and expect no breaks or cracks - but I do not go around saying there a build issue with a macbook. Alot depends on the care a user shows for their tools, not the build quality.

13. 59noob

59noob Senior Member

In terms of both of your concerns, I think there's not much difference between R0 or R9 if the same care in handling and storage are taken for both types of guitar. I don't think one is more susceptible or likely than the other.

If you're moving, perhaps you could consider shipping the guitar? You'll probably arrive before the guitar since you said you'd be flying.

14. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Spend the money and buy a flight case ($300-500). Problem solved. Any problem to do with broken head stocks isn’t Gibson’s, it’s the shipper/carrier, or the one that packed it for said journey.

15. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 10, :thumbs: :applause: :applause:

Flight Case or Hiscox or SKB.

IMHO, never transport a Gibson in a Gibson Case on a Plane.

:cheers2:

freebyrd 69 and DanD like this.
  17. Andy California

I have never heard of one :). Could you please tell me who makes them?

18. cherrysunburst00

19. cherrysunburst00

Check ebay "Japanese Les Pauls"

All sorts of manufacturers: Tokai, Orville, etc

20. Andy California

Thanks for suggestions and info, guys. As for shipping the guitar, it's made harder due to the new CITES regulations.

I didn't just dream it up. I read about this theory on this very forum, and just thought that I should ask more people.