Is it PAF or Classic 57?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by tonehound, Jan 22, 2014.

1. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

Hi all. I am a long time lurker here at the forum. I have a few posts under my belt but I am mainly a daily visitor to the forum to learn from the more experienced than I.

Quick question for the PAF experts if I may? I am trying to identify a set of pickups in my guitar?

Originally, I thought they were early 60's paf. After doing some research changed my mind that maybe they were early 57 classics. However,I was never 100% sure they were not PAF. In the midst of a snow storm here in the north east I'm doing a string change and decided to pull the pickups out and black light them. LOL... case of cabin fever I guess? I noticed that the border of the PAF sticker and the tape around the bobbins glows under the blacklight!!

would this be the case with 57 Classic pickups?? Here are a couple of pics taken with my I Phone. The glow is a bit brighter in person. IPhone camera not so good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

They're definitely purple!

1 person likes this.
  3. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I'm confused, here. Is your guitar an original '60 LP? If not, why do you think they might be '60s PAF p'ups? Also, both Classic '57s and Burstbuckers use the "Patent Applied For" sticker.

If no better pictures, no can do. And a DC reading of both p'ups wouldn't hurt either.

HTH,

4. cristi tanasescu

cristi tanasescu Senior Member

new pics, the ones you posted are big time crapola. no offense but if you want advice, new pics man :)

5. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

No. Not an original Les Paul. The guitar is 73 or 74 Les Paul Deluxe gold top converted to standard. The pickups were in the guitar when I bought it 1994. I recently asked a luthier who was doing work on the guitar if he thought they were original PAF's and he said yes probably early 60's.

The PAF stickers look a little different than the newer Classic 57 PAF stickers. The letters on the PAF label on my pickups are slightly smaller, However, the gold lettering looks cleaner than some original PAF sticker photos I have seen on line.

Sorry for the horrible pics. It took me a while to figure out how to post them here from Photobucket. I will try to correct it soon and add a couple of better pics for you all.

The DC resistance on both pickups are around 7.8k. I was more curious about the tape and border of the sticker glowing. the pictures didn't pick it up too well.

My thinking is that if Classic 57's would not glow under a blacklight then that might mean these pickups could be PAF's. IDK. That's why I am asking some here on the forum that might know a lot more than I do about such things.

6. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

OK. Added a couple of pics to the original post

7. bill m

bill m Premium Member MLP Vendor

Classic 57's.

3 people like this.
  8. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

The decal all flaked out like that among other things make it a '57 Classic.

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

That looks to new to be an old sticker . Whatever the pickup is, i don't think it's a real PAF from the golden age

10. bill m

The decal, the foot bend, wax potting are all typical classic 57 traits.

11. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

Thanks to all. I appreciate the help. I'm not trying to be a P.I.A. I accept that they are not PAF's. I'm still wondering why the pickup passed the sticker border and tape glowing blacklight test? Would anyone know?

12. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Isn't it that obvious?

The p'up forensic info you've gotten is wrong? :hmm:

Never thought 'bout not believing everything you read on the internet? :wave:

1 person likes this.
  13. bill m

It passed the black light test because the pickup is now over 20 years old.

14. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

Sorry no. it is not obvious. I used the search function on this forum and the other LP forum as well and some well respected people recommend using the blacklight on the tape and sticker.:)

I thought people couldn't put anything on the internet that wasn't true.:)

1 person likes this.
  15. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Well, that respected people you talk about obviously doesn't know that there are at least twelve different paper-tape brands in the States alone that you can buy in a DIY shop or Graphic Arts shop that use glue with organic and chemical components that happens to glow under black light.

Hell, the italian-made tape *I* use glows under black light even brighter than my own teeth! ;)

However, it's not your fault you believed on their statements in good faith.

Anyway, now you know: black light, by itself, can NOT be viably used as a forensic tool to ID'ing an original PAF p'up from the '50s.

HTH,

16. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

Just to compare. when checking the pickups I also shined the blacklight on the bobbin tape of an early to mid 80's Dimarzio paf and....no glow.
    So, would it be only certain 20yr old pickups that fluoresce under the light?
    :confused:

17. Ed hunter

Ed hunter Senior Member

it is very hard to determine the age of gibson 57 classics. but just hope it is pre 2006.:D

18. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

Got it Thanks.:)

19. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Those are pre-2006. Also, I think those are pre-1995, if you ask me.

Make him a fair offer, Ed. Those are good ones! ;)

HTH,

20. tonehound

tonehound Junior Member

It has to be pre 2006 because I bought the guitar in 1994. you have piqued my curiosity so I have to ask. Why should I hope it is pre 2006? Something changed in 2006?