Is it just me or does Jimmy Vaughn complete suck at guitar?

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by logen99999, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Thanks. This is a super respectable response. And I agree with everything you said. Live and let live :)

1 person likes this.
  2. lazz

lazz Senior Member

It's just you, you either like it or you don't. That's the amazing thing about music there's something for everyone.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

He's kind of an under the radar player. I have one of his records. Some pretty cool playing on it and it sounds nice and old fashioned like old blues records that were recorded with everyone in one room together.

Plus this one is playing when they are walking into the titty twister. Lead in to one of the most awesomest scenes in movies ever.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhwQUgqnPPg]Jimmie Vaughan ~ Dengue Woman Blues - YouTube[/ame]

And this little ditty he played in that stratocaster documentary. I think that influenced me quite a lot. later learned it's Lightnin Hopkins style. I really like that kind of blues in e playing. For playing this cool little thing he's pretty ok in my book.

at 8:16
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27tXEMfZFoc[/ame]

4. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

I really like JVs work with the Thunderbirds back in the day and what he did with SRV.

To be perfectly honest I don't care for his playing recently. It seems too often he is phoning it in and going through the motions. I miss the commitment and energy he used to have. This is entirely my own viewpoint, but his playing of late to me seems tired and uninspired. And I say this as a fan of thirty years.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

No, you didn't. You attacked someone who isn't here, in your OP. But I'm the one who likes putting people down in front of an audience?

Easy money, right? :laugh2::laugh2:

6. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Thanks Thump. but lets just drop it. nobody here really wants to argue anymore. no point in dragging on this negativity. I can appreciate some of the other posts points, and I have conceded on some of them. Follow the example of some of the other people who commented and just agree to disagree.

7. The Wedge

The Wedge Banned

To me a guitarist's worth is found in what he has put down on tape, or 1s and 0s.

I mean real original stuff.

If all you do is regurgitate other people stuff and never create someting new then you're just another average player.

An exceptional player creates something new out of nothing, something that makes the ears happy. You don't have to be a virtuoso.

Jimmie Vaughan has done this, have you? And if you have, is that all you listen to? Your own music? Because if you really thought it was the best then that's all you'd listen to.

8. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

All's I know is this STILL blows my mind with the amount of groove and grease involved:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73tsnfT4Kk0]Jimmie Vaughan Boom Bapa Boom www keepvid com - YouTube[/ame]

And for the kid that grew up at their feet at the "band house" : He turned out pretty good too!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiXNcbVb6Kc]Doyle Bramhall[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  9. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Here is a legitimate point for discussion here: How do we measure talent...or ability? I have to say that over the years I have heard things I didn't get...or at least it didn't resonate with me at the time. I would put John Lee Hooker and even Robert Johnson in that category. In fact I first heard the Cream version of Crossroads and went on a search to find the origins of the song and was pretty disappointed. Huh? At the time I couldn't appreciate it. In fact the same was true with Django Reinhardt and several other people. I heard about em, went in search of their stuff because it was supposed to be so great and came away (at the time) disappointed. The issue wasn't really the music (how could it be given that list)...it was me.

So...here's what I would pose to critics of JV. Is it possible that you just do not understand what he is doing. I actually do know what JV has done and have been a fan of his for years. In fact...(and I know this may be shocking) I like JV more than I like SRV. There...I said it :) Why? He does some things that just resonate with me. I was big on Stevie for years, and originally was not that hot on Jimmie. I liked the Thunderbirds...but there was no flash, etc. Stevie had that in spades. THEN I sort of got a new set of ears, especially as I dug deeper into the blues. Here is what I can tell you: Jimmie is the king of swing, vibe and note placement when he wants to be. I am not sure I get some of the other things he does...but he has that. I've been a player for many years...but he just blows me away in that regard. He has some licks too that are REALLY cool. It's subtle though, and maybe that's the issue. SRV is all in your face and power...Jimmie is subtle and careful most of the time.

So...that said. Maybe what many of us guitar players need is an ear and attitude adjustment. There is more there...but ya gotta search for it. When you find it though...the reward is pretty great.

10. RJB

RJB Junior Member

Wasn`t going to re-post. As with all of these blogs, some of the aggressive and nasty personalities just love to get off on this sort of stuff, but seeing people are still posting video`s that they think prove how good a player he is, I`d like to at least comment. I think something has happened to him in recent years to affect the standard of his playing - not that I`ve ever thought he was a very good soloist. One person has suggested arthritis or something similar. To me it seems a fair bit deeper than that, but I don`t know what the problem is. I just know there is something wrong with the way he goes about trying to play a solo. He always seems on the verge of being totally lost, so he just repeats his simple licks without the solo ever going anywhere and developing. Perhaps the solo in the clip shows what I`m getting at. Just can`t keep saying he`s great, has this cool vibe etc because what`s showing in these clips is a man really struggling with the instrument. Not what one would have said about Jimmie Vaughan of The Thunderbirds era
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NceDENbILU"]Jimmie Vaughan - #3 - Continental Club - Austin - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  11. The Wedge

The Wedge Banned

I only attack bonamassa.

12. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Sorry---didn't read all the posts,but saw this one.
    A lot of info in that 2nd paragraph----sounds like you go to some testosterone-laced head-cutting competitions rather than jam sessions,which are supposed to be FUN,everyone gets to play, and NO ONE is asked to leave.
    Whenever I smell the locker room at a jam,I pack up gracefully and get out myself,don't need to be asked.And I can play.....;)

13. TheDevice

TheDevice Senior Member

He had a pretty mean heart attack last year. just a fyi.

14. RJB

RJB Junior Member

Refin,
    I know this thread is about Jimmie Vaughan, but I checked out your playing page after you ended your post with 'and I can play' . Well you certainly can play and that`s a gross understatement. You are indeed one terrific guitar player.

15. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Well,thank you for the very kind words.....:eek:
    I wasn't try to point me out,but to the fact that we've all been to jams where there were all levels of playing.Sometimes we are the bug,sometimes we are the windshield as far as talent/touch/feel/phrasing,but if everyone plays supportively to everyone else,it hardly gets noticed.
    Back to Jimmy---I hear what he's doing.Old style economic phrasing.Personally,I like it.

16. RJB

RJB Junior Member

refin,
    You are most welcome, some extremely impressive work in all of that. I`ve nearly fired all my shots on this one, so I`ll let it go, but I remain absolutely convinced there has been a steep decline in his ability to play a decent solo. His limitations and lack of ideas are demonstrated if you compare his recent live soloing on 'Texas Flood' and 'Dirty Work At The Crossroads' - The 2 minimalist solos in the clips I recently viewed are almost total duplications of each other and that points to a player very short on ideas and with not many 'notes in the bag'. Just got to produce an awful lot more from your instrument if that`s been your thing for the last 50 years. I think the term 'use it or lose it' applies pretty heavily in the case of a lot of minimalist pentatonic players like Jimmie. Never stretching out and pushing the boundaries, but content to let the same simple handful of notes and licks be played over and over and over again until you can`t play anymore. I think there`s a bit more to unlocking the magic wrapped up in a musical instrument than that.

Well done logen99999 for bringing this one to the surface, even if your early 'in your face' posts did set the cat amongst the pigeons but I`m still with you 100% on this one. Been interesting for sure.

17. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

And "dang" to BB King too....those same 5 notes for 7 decades.:laugh2:

18. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

I thought it was seven notes for pushing nine decades! ;)

19. The Wedge

The Wedge Banned

5 notes is enough for me, unless I'm going chromatic.

20. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

Some times less is way more.

As far as this crazy thread goes Logen sounded good to me.

I (as always) will say that what is seen as good and bad in art, is always more about what the person offering the judgement is looking to learn then if there is an objective standard.

Sometimes I wish that art was like easy math with correct solutions but any time I try and apply theory as a way to generate music it sounds cold and clinical. Theory opens up ideas and those ideas when internalized become expressive but by itself it achieves little (there are exceptions to this rule and sometimes doing something purely by the book can make you the money).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.