Is it just me or does Jimmy Vaughn complete suck at guitar?

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by logen99999, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Really, you pity me? jeez. suffering?.... ok

I think you're making a ton of assumptions. furthermore I dont think JV is telling any stories with his playing. but that's just me. Some people seem to be agreeing. I think that validates it enough to warrant at least a little consideration.

dont overthink this, and dont make the assumption that I dont understand real genuine skilled musicianship because i think JV sucks. John Lennon was a crumby guitar player as well. but he could tell a story and make beauty with his songs.

2. RJB

RJB Junior Member

logen99999 you can see how ridiculous social media is. You are being attacked for legitimately calling into question a vastly overated player. They 'pity you' and you need to 'keep practicing'. If all those guys think he is a top player, by definition their own standard of guitar playing sits below that of the 'great Jimmie Vaughan' and that pretty much says it all. If anyone can watch the above clip and not be convinced of your argument then they either unable to musically process his lack of ability or they just don`t want to go there.
    I`ve rarely seen guitar player assessments as obvious as this one, but it`s probably time to let it go and move on because some of them are acting like 'trolls'. One other thing- 'Does Jimmie Vaughan completely suck at guitar'- Well yes he does and credit to you for at least being musically astute enough to see through one of the many falsehoods and illusions that exist in the very strange world of successful electric guitar players.
    Over and out.

1 person likes this.
  3. twangydave

twangydave Senior Member

Here's the thing, you stated JV 'completely sucks at guitar' and that you were a better player than JV after 2 years.

I found that statement to be arrogant, probably inaccurate and a bit offensive. Asked for proof to back up your claims you posted some clips of you doing a decent, but highly derivative, Jack White/Dan Auerbach impression that proved that like most people on this board, you can knock out some half-decent garage rock. You didn't however prove your statement, you didn't demonstrate some kind of 'prodigy' status and you didn't post any songs.

I'm not knocking you, you're a better guitar player than me and I enjoyed listening, but some mates banging out some repeating riffs in their cellar doesn't sell millions of records and doesn't fill stadia. Guitar playing exists to support songs and, apart from the few purely instrumental players, professional blues and rock and country performers all understand this.

Your John Lennon example isn't a good one, he's an incredible rhythm player, try working your way through some Beatles songs using the proper chords and then see how you feel about that. But your point was good, guitar playing isn't always all about flash and appearance, you have to play for the song.

This is essentially the point about a good professional like JV, he's a guitar player, a performer, a songwriter and sometimes a sideman.

You don't have to like his songs, his playing or anything about him but to denigrate the talents of a fellow player who is a real professional in the business is a low blow that most of us don't like to hear when it's coming from someone who has achieved nothing in comparison to JV.

1 person likes this.
  4. twangydave

twangydave Senior Member

The musical careers of successful electric guitar players are built on ordinary people buying concert tickets and records because they like an artist and the music that the artist produces. Guys on forums are not a factor. JV has a career because people like him.

The worst musicians and songwriters I've ever met spent their time wringing their hands trying to work out why the general public kept buying music from artists they didn't rate. Heads up, if the people don't like you then you probably suck, you might not know you suck but you probably do.

It's called popular music for a reason, you can hate on it as much as you like but the men and women that make it understand it way better than those that rail against it and they always have the last laugh.

5. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Twangdave

you make some good points. I'll admit saying I was better then him after 2 years was a bit arrogant. I will take that back. furthermore thanks for calling my clips derivative. even if you posted clips of your playing that I didn't think was amazing i still wouldn't call it derivative because i'm not a dick. I respect the hobbyist guitar player too much to do that. anyone trying to accomplish something with music deserves respect.

a seasoned pro like JV on the other hand is fair game. yeah the guy sold albums, played shows. In exchange he's open to criticism. and that's all i was going for. I think his playing is a stark contrast anyone that could be considered decent. It's not a low ball to criticism a professional musician. it's a low ball to denigrate somebody that's trying their hardest to be an actual musician. You wouldn't yell at a pitcher for sucking at a high school baseball game, but in a major league match it's pretty common.

and now you're probably asking, well who am I to judge? i'm a fan of music, i have taste and this forum is about discussion. so that's what's happening here. I'll take a few things I said back (like what i mentioned earlier) but i refuse to believe that you need to be an equally successful accomplished musicians to criticize another musicians. That's never been true for anything.

That's all the points I think I can make on the subject. If you want to keep discussing it feel free to message me, i'll reply. but I doubt anyone will because there wont be an audience anymore. And arguments like these tend to be more about mud slinging and showing-up somebody else.

2 people like this.
  6. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Thanks, but i'm really not trying to make this about me vs them. That's why i didn't post any clips for so long. Nor did I throw mud back when people started posting their own clips. why make it personal and bring that negativity into a discussion?

I simply believe you should be able to think somebody sucks without having to prove anything.

1 person likes this.
  7. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

I guess this guy should have been hung for his capo fetish . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd25GoyRdkY]Albert Collins, "If Trouble Was Money" (live)[/ame]

2 people like this.
  8. twangydave

twangydave Senior Member

That's good enough for me bud. That's all anyone had an issue with. We're all free to like and dislike as the mood takes us and discuss it endlessly, as you say, that's what forums are for.

As to 'derivative' all guitar music is derived from something else, the records we listen to define and shape the music we play. Same for me, same for you, same for most folk. Some have managed, despite this process, to form individual voices, that's why some of us like and respect JV.

Good luck to you, I meant no harm. Let's agree to live and let live.

9. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I think Nickelback sucks. But for some reason, they sell tons of albums, sell out arenas and make tons of cash. I'm pretty sure they don't care what I think. JV's playing doesn't do anything for me but it's my right to ignore him and listen to someone else. Is he better than I am? Hell yes.

2 people like this.
  10. DrakeZero

DrakeZero Senior Member

Unlike his little brother, Jimmie Vaughan is a student of the traditional 50's blues of the time. He likes to keep things simple unlike SRV as we all know loved Hendrix and experimenting with his sound for that Raw hot sounding Blues tone he is known for.

I'm not a big fan of Jimmie Vaughan's sound, but I can appreciate it. And he has done well for himself without relying on his brother's name.

11. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Wow - what a weird thread. The discussions about which players are good always seem to go well, but those attacking them really don't. Still, it seems to be going in a happier direction now...

I'd just like to say, for the record, that I do sometimes play live in Tokyo, but every single person I have listened to in this thread - whether a poster or playing in a video on YouTube - is a better guitarist than me.

That is all. :wave:

1 person likes this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

lol, you may well be a better player than me. You're also a bigger asshole.

It's the latter that is your real accomplishment; I mean, I'm no good player, and most players around here are better than I am ... but I'm renowned around these parts as a top-notch asshole. Outdoing me there is a real trick, but you're certainly giving me a run for my money. :laugh2::laugh2:

I'm relaxed, kid. I just think you slagging him is rich, especially with your "blues" playing; and your butthurt over someone reposting what you yourself posted is silly (although I can understand you not wanting that stuff to be heard).

As for my stuff, I've posted some crap and some good stuff, but I don't start threads slagging working musicians, except for Kirk Hammett, who deserves it. :)

Hey, Jimmie's playing Antone's here in Austin tonight, to a packed house on New Year's Eve. What are you doing?

I thought so.

3 people like this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Hahah, four posts, and this topic draws you out?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Just to be very clear , I was not comparing JV and the OP . Do I think JV is a top guitar player ? nope , not even close .

But The OP , in my opinion , needs to practice more. As what I heard on that demo was not that good . That's not an attack what so ever . I was being nice . I could have ripped him a new 1 , but that is not the point . The point is , if he wants to back up how good he says he plays , he needs to practice more and more hours .

They are many more, much better guitar players out in the world that can run rings around this guy all day every day .

15. troyad

troyad Senior Member

Jimmy Vaughn doesn't suck nearly as bad as this guy
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrcqWYGOSns]The Joe Perry Project - Break Song - YouTube[/ame]

16. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

If I knew nothing of Jimmy Vaughn before I saw him at the Crossroads show in Chicago, I would ask the same questions as the OP. But I know he was a better player than what I have seen the past few years. When I saw him in Chicago a few years ago, he appeared to be really laboring when he played, almost looked as if he had some hand issues such as Arthritis or something similar.

I also wondered if after Stevie died, if maybe he didn't lose his drive or desire to make music as he pretty much fell off the radar for several years afterwards.

Here are some clips that prove Jimmy could play back in the day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaEHFxlmf-k]Fabulous Thunderbirds - Powerful Stuff (Jimmie Vaughan) - YouTube[/ame]

Watch Jimmy help hold it all together while Stevie takes the lead.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQ84qkQgg4]Stevie Ray Vaughan And The Fabulous Thunderbirds--What I Say - YouTube[/ame]

He seems to be paying his respects to his little bro just fine here-

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXwCta6rd4]Jimmie Vaughan - Texas Flood - Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaughan - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  17. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Honestly. This is good advice. I should practice more. I can appreciate that you're not trying to compare me to JV as well. I didn't want this thread to be about that.

Feel free to private message me any specific things i could do better. Honestly i would like to know. It will motivate me to practice and be better.

18. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Oops. Double post. Disregard!

19. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Dont make it so personal. Not once in this thread did I attack you. Yet you have several times. You're being the jerk. I have no problems admitting I was a little arrogant, or that I could use more practice. But I never attacked anyone here personally.

Think about that. You seem to get off on putting people down infront of an audience.

20. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

Dont sell yourself short. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.