Is it a good idea to satin finish a neck

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by themanuser, Oct 23, 2012.

1. themanuser

themanuser Junior Member

Hello :thumb:
    I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard and i like to satin finish it (aka: my hands
    are getting wet when i play sometimes.. :hyper: )
    SO iam asking you people if can i satin finish my neck and still guitar looks good or not :D :D

2. Hack

Hack Senior Member

I dont see where that would change the looks of it. Go for it!

...and we are going to need to see this guitar you speak of!

3. Kynlore

Kynlore Member

Looks good is subjective. What one person thinks looks good, another may not.

I feel mine is faster though without it.

4. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I don't do it but a lot of people do. Use some very fine steel wool if you decide to do it.

Welcome to MLP. :photos: please.

5. Papa

Papa Senior Member

Yes, Welcome!

Just remember to tape over your pickups with some masking tape.
    I've used steel wool, fine sandpaper, or Green Scotch Brite pads at one time or another for different projects.

In any case your pickups don't need the dust.

Good luck

6. DagerOne

DagerOne Senior Member

I have an Epiphone Ultra II, and the neck has a satin finish from the factory. It's one of my favorites based on feel.

7. bloodied_fingers

bloodied_fingers Senior Member

I did this to my neck with a green scotch brite type pad. Took about 30 seconds and the feel is 20x nicer to me now.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the rest of the body.

You know if you end up not liking it you can pretty easily buff it back up to a nice shine.

1 person likes this.
  8. mazzith

mazzith Senior Member

When I have my custom guitars made by Carvin I get a oil tung on my necks, feels so good in my hands.

9. LesLuvva

LesLuvva Senior Member

I've done it with a green scotch-brite scouring pad. Doesn't take long, and you don't have to do it very long before you get the desired result. The finish on the neck will look a bit different, much less glossy.

1 person likes this.
  10. lucifarion

lucifarion Senior Member

I'm getting a new Les Paul Standard in two days, the first thing I'm doing when I get it is a satin neck (with a stinger lol). The satin neck is a good idea if like me your fret hand gets sweaty while playing. It stops your hand from sticking to the neck, I've done this to a few Epi's in the past... and even a few F guitars that had glossy neck finishes. It feels so much better then the heavy poly finish on Epi necks, and it will allow your fretting hand to move faster up and down the neck.

Green scotch bright pads are better then steel wool... If you use steel wool it's a good idea to give it a quick wet sand afterwards to limit the scratches.... scotch bright pads don't really need this as they are much gentler.

Happy fretting

1 person likes this.
  11. DHK68

DHK68 Senior Member

Specficially talking Epiphone, with the thick poly finish, I would sand the neck back just enough to stop the sweaty sticking-hand effect. As for looks, who's gonna see the back of the neck except you?

I sand mine back - the neck itself, not the fretboard, you can just move around easier, feels smoother plain n simple, it just adds to the playability. We're not talking about vintage collectables here, so make it easier and more practical to play. You won't ruin the neck, just take off the shine on the poly finish.

12. harpman54

harpman54 Senior Member

My Ultra II has the satin neck, and I got to where I liked that neck so much I went and did the necks on a few more of my guitars. The satin necks are faster, and simply feel better to me. I don't worry about the looks because nobody but me sees the back of the neck.

13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Yeah, I've satined a couple of necks. Any more, I shop for them that way.

14. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

Fender is doing a gloss finger board with a satin neck.
    I like it.

15. 56GT

56GT Senior Member

themanuser with sweaty hands... :hmm:

16. MrKensei

MrKensei Senior Member

I dont think it will do you any harm. Looks wise depends on the colour imo.
    My Zakk has a satin finished neck and it feels awesome. However both my standard and my mockingbird have gloss necks.
    On the standard the poly finish sb feels really thick and a bit tacky at times so I am thinking of sandingbt back.
    The BC rich pickups n the other hand has a much better feeling poly and I dont have any urge to fix that. It's my workhorse/jam session/ soon to be gigging guitar and feels great even after a couple od hours playing in the lower registers (0playing rhythm for a metal band means a lot of time spent in the same spot on the neck).

17. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

My hand turns certain necks to all-out gum for some reason? My 3 Epi's that came with satin necks were great! Never had a problem with them at all.

18. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

So, then .... would your hand sliding up and down the neck "buff" it back up over time? Well, assuming it gets played with any regularity...just wondering, although feeling no need for a satin neck as far as playability...I just pick 'em up and play 'em as is, it's all good:cool:

19. straybeat

straybeat Senior Member

I know that whenever I buff up junior it starts to... uh-oh... nevermind. :laugh2:

20. nzo

nzo Senior Member

Yes, over time with playing, the gloss comes back.