Is David Lee Roth Gay ???

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by FLICKOFLASH, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

It took me a while to appreciate New Wave, but gosh, there were some great bands coming from that set ... the Police, the Cars, the Pretenders ... and even in my head-bangin'est days, this was recognizably brilliant:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNSDwGPYfMM]MISSING PERSONS- DO YOU HEAR ME (WORDS REMIX) - YouTube[/ame]

3 people like this.
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thanks for the link.

I wonder how willing you'd be to admit to a stranger that you were gay, if indeed you were?

I'd be willing to bet that that number is underreporting.

2 people like this.
  3. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

what's new wave? Like Devo? Whip it..type stuff? Synth pop music? ( I think that's what we called it,..synth pop.)

Thump you said 'The Police',....I always kinda thought of them as a light rock band.

(but I was impressed that Sting hid really disturbing lyrics in pop songs. I still think that's brilliant,.....and blatantly stole the idea. :D :thumb: )

2 people like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Like Skinny implied, New Wave was really a bunch of different styles. One side of it took punk and mixed it with pop melodies played on cleaner guitars. Another side of it took island grooves and injected them into standard pop. Another school foreshadowed electronica.

It was a wide genre but to my ears stuff like "Roxanne" or "I Cant Stand Losing You" put the Police squarely in the New Wave camp.

Devo was a cool band, too. They got everything upside down, and still made it understandable. Fvckin' brilliant.

1 person likes this.
  5. Roberteaux

Roberteaux GOOMPH! V.I.P. Member

I really dug Dale Bozzio... and Chrissy Hynde... as you know, I play some of Jame Honeyman-Scott's riffs, and learned how to slur things nicely by copying guys like Eliott Easton... that solo from Just What I Needed is cool as hell, and who cares what particular species The Cars was? I like that song a lot, even if some of their other stuff makes me barf.

When I was in HS (early Seventies), the stoners listened to Zep, Sabbath, Floyd, Tull, and Alice Cooper... while the jocks listened mainly to Elton John...

I was one of those weird stoners who listened to most everything, and never did give up on The Beatles, the Grateful Dead, Bowie, Yes, King Crimson, Mott the Hoople, or much of anything else, simply because of the inclinations of other, more thematic groups of individuals.

As usual, I got caught in a kind of a social crossfire. My stoner friends thought I was weird for liking Elton John, and my jock buddies thought I was weird for listening to Zep. Nobody trusted me, because I didn't somehow "stand for" something. I still don't fit in much of anywhere these days, which is just fine with me... it isn't that I'm trying to be "different" or any of that. I just don't seem to have gotten into anything on a wholesale basis.

Same with politics. I'm not a lib or a con, but libs think I'm a con and cons think I am a lib. Nobody invites me to their parties because of this. :laugh2:

I never understood any of it, and still don't. I listen to a lot of pop bubblegum music, even, and don't think a thing of it. I did not like Huey Lewis and the News, but that didn't have anything to do with anything other than that I didn't like them...

I thought this kind of crap would end when everyone reached middle age, but no: it didn't. The other day my instructor was freaked to find me listening to Earth, Wind, and Fire...

My bar band buddies (which includes my instructor) sometimes go haywire when they find out that I spent the evening watching a videotape of a Korn concert or something. They hate it that I dug on Limp Bizkit and RHCP.

Back when my son was all rebellious and such, I had to act as though I didn't like Ministry just so my boy wouldn't think that I was trying to insert myself into whatever his Gen X thing was all about... what was nice, though, was that I really didn't like Skinny Puppy... :laugh2:

He gave me a walk on Nitzer Ebb, though. I figure it was because he didn't actually like them so much, so it was encouraging to him that I did. Everybody gotta be all different and such, but if you want really different try being a musical omnivore.

Strange world, when you're not so particular.

--R :dunno:

3 people like this.
  6. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

Nice post Rob. (Skinny Puppy had their moments btw. :thumb: )

I never heard the expression 'Kicking the Habit' the same way after I heard their song about Nun beating. :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  7. Thumpalumpacus

The best thing I did for my own musicianship was to stop caring what others might think of my tastes, and to simply listen to whatever aroused my curiosity.

There's a station here in Austin called Bob-FM that plays a very eclectic playlist -- I've heard everything from Garth Brooks to Soundgarden to the Bee Gees on it. I love driving down the road not knowing what's coming on next, and telling myself that I'm not going to change the station.

1 person likes this.
  8. DRF

DRF Senior Member

Yeah sure Jump is tiring now but when it was fresh off the presses and ...wow that video, it was "quality", at that time there was VH and then there was the others who later became/seemed hair metal like.

9. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

True story, ...I was driving down the road and two people had the road blocked off talking, one of the guys was standing out between the two vehicles talking to the other guy. I gave them a couple minutes to finish their conversation, as it could have been important . when I saw the guy laugh , I bumped the horn a little and the guy standing flipped me off !! Well I got out of the truck to beat him, and my wife was hanging on my arm screaming ...Donnie that's a girl, that a girl !! flustered I got back in and so did she and drove off. My wife tells me shes a lesbian that dresses like a man. Im like are you sure shes like 6'1'' ! Not even a year later In college I meet this same girl and we actually became friends , she never knew it was me that Day ! I swear she actually hugs me every time she sees me !!

10. poncho

poncho Banned

New Wave is great