Is David Lee Roth Gay ???

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by FLICKOFLASH, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

I don't know. It's not really the music I loved, but it was the soundtrack for a lot of people's good time... Early Van Halen was like the ultimate party band. Viewed like that, it's hard for me to hate it too much.

But I will say, that at least by the late 80s, there was a lot of crossover in music, and socially, at least as far as the underground music fans went. Metal guys and punks mixed pretty freely... Someone would have a gothic girlfriend that looked like Siouxie Sioux... It was all good.

What I remember about music and the 80s was that the normal, popular kids seemed to listen to junk like Huey Lewis and the News, or the awful Bruce Springsteen music of the era, and if you didn't like that stuff, and listened to anything weirder, you were very much an outcast.

And outcasts of different walks eventually walked together... Or at least hung out and dropped acid while going to a Cure show one night, and a Motörhead show the next...

2 people like this.
  2. vulture

vulture Senior Member

yer complex...that confuses me.

3. Gin&Pentatonic

Gin&Pentatonic Senior Member

I've actually never encountered a lipstick lesbian before. I know that makes it sound like they're some sort of exotic, elusive animal that only comes out just before dawn :laugh2:

What I was referring to was the really butch ones with the aggressive frat boy attitudes. I mean, I understand they've adopted a persona that isn't the norm and they're expressing themselves as they feel they naturally should, but sometimes it's just way too abrasive. Very off-putting. I just avoid whenever possible. But I've met some that almost seem to want an awkward confrontation. I dunno, I guess there's some that feel the need to assert dominance over males they meet?

4. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

I always heard DLR liked the stage look/presence of Jim Dandy and copied him in VH early days. :hmm:
    Don't know if it's true or not, just one of those things you hear.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGAPhLK8qdk]Hot And Nasty Black Oak Arkansas Jim Dandy - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  5. circles

circles Senior Member

did somebody say something about early black sabbath?

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  6. Gin&Pentatonic

Gin&Pentatonic Senior Member

I always wish I could have experienced that part of town back when it was the cool, thriving, artsy part of town it once was. And I think it still is to an extent, but every time I drive through there going to a Rockets game or whatever it just gets slummier, which really bums me out.

And yeah Houston does have a huge, throbbing gay scene. My wife and I lived across the hall from two gay guys years ago. Really friendly guys, had dinner with them all the time, just good people, and they had all the gay 411 that was always interesting to hear. They would talk about the specific places to go to depending on what you were looking for, what places we're handouts for men who openly had HIV, the places for the curious who just wanted to experiment, etc. And according to them, the Walgreens that's pretty much in the heart of Montrose is the biggest distributor of HIV medication in the entire nation :shock:

1 person likes this.
  7. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

Yeah, the Montrose has changed an awful lot. There is still stuff to like about it, but it's been a victim of it's own success. A lot of people from the suburbs moved there because of it's reputation for being "cool" and "artsy", but they didn't like the flip side of that, which was the slightly seedy stuff... So they bought up all of the old houses, and slowly killed off a lot of the shops and clubs that gave the neighborhood the character they were initially attracted to.

Most of the edgy artist musician types that I know who used to live in the Montrose have had to leave because it's gotten too expensive for them. The neighborhood is worse for that loss.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

In Ventura County, punk and heavy metal (not hair metal, but speed/thrash metal) were crossed over early, in the Nardcore movement, with bands like Ill Repute and Dr Know borrowing from the DKs, BF, Slayer, CoC, and others -- feet in both camps. It wasn't proggy Metallica sort-of stuff -- it was much rawer -- but there was plenty of crossover there between 84 and 88.

1 person likes this.
  9. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

Interesting, I'd not heard that before.

sorry. to me the 80's seemed like what I've heard the 70's were like. Southern Rock, Sabbath, pot, dark basements with wood paneling, shag rugs, gold drapes over windows, etc. That's what I remember from childhood.

When the 90's rolled around and grunge hit, most of my friends just looked around and shrugged, because we were already wearing boots and jeans and listening to Sabbath (which sounded alot like Soundgarden),...so it was kind of like, "More of the same,...only now that same is 'cool',..and suddenly we were cool because we were dirty bums." :laugh2:

so for 2 decades not much seemed to change for me, I was stuck in the 70's and didn't realize it, I was just living life.

Then 2000's hit, the internet explodes, the 9/11 crap, .... the world just seemed to go to sh*t. Cellphone Zombies,...super selfish people, bad 'Nu-Metal' on guitars that should be called basses.

Basically I was just saying, 'no wonder I'm a confused person, it just dawned on me I was transported from the 70's to modern times very abruptly. No wonder I don't fit in and feel very uncomfortable in the world lately.'

plus I lost 5 years in my 20's to a serious injury and heavy medication, so I tend to feel 5 years younger then I am, since that part of my life is a bit of a blur.

Life's weird,...and getting weirder.

2 people like this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

Well, it was very much a local scene, and didn't see too much success before it splintered. Gil Hernandez -- the artist who did some of the album covers for the bands -- lived a few blocks down the street, and IR wasn't much farther. I don't know if anyone outside California ever heard of our bands, but especially back in the days of bands like Poison and Mr Mister, we were proud that our local scene was so down-to-earth and bullshit-free. We'd go down to the skating rink, getting high along the way, and get our ears drilled for five bucks a piece.

1 person likes this.
  11. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

sounds pretty awesome. The coolest 'nobody knows about them' band from around DC when I was young was a group called Oblivion that reformed as SPiNE.

Lead by a guitarist name Mike Bossier who was amazing.

..I never understood why there weren't successful.

(and I've since looked online and can't find their music or anything. I guess Mike threw in the towel.)

edit:

AWESOME! I found him! This is Mike Bossier, one of my local heros as a kid. My very first demo I did in his studio.

I guess he renamed the band Audio Terror Regime.

Listening to it now,....f**k! Him and Spiers (the drummer) still kick so much ass!

They were doing this type of stuff in the late 80's if you can believe that. Groundbreaking as all get out.

http://www.myspace.com/audioxterrorxregime

2 people like this.
  12. Thumpalumpacus

This was the way things were in Central California, in high school, for me. Motley Crue was "edgy". :laugh2:

I thought DLR was a great frontman for VH -- like you say, the "ultimate party band", which is how we heard them. The shine started dulling on that ride around the time Diver Down came out, for us. I discovered Rush and Randy Rhoads right around that time, too, so when 1984 came out I was already onto other things. Plus, digging through the Sabs' back catalog took up a pleasurably large amount of time. :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

2 people like this.
  13. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

First concert I ever went to was Malmstein opening for AC/DC!!! I think it was the Philadelphia Spectrum, and I was 15... Malmstein was crazy good but nobody in the audience understood what he was doing...

Oh and who cares if DLR is gay

fletch

3 people like this.
  14. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

The way I remember early VH, at least in my part of Texas, was that they weren't really a popular band in the mainstream until 1984 came out. Up until that album, and the MTV videos from it, they were still under the radar, except in the metal scene.

I knew a few guys with older, dirtbag dope smoking brothers that listened to early VH, and considered them heavy metal along with stuff like Dio fronted Black Sabbath, but they weren't popular with the mall set.

Then 1984 came out, and all of that changed. :laugh2:

15. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

I turned 20 in 1980 and I grew up in Houston...by the 80's we had lost the shag rugs.:thumb: There are no basements in Houston..they'd be underwater.:laugh2:

The decade had it all...what people today call classic rock wasn't all that old yet...and we were swept up in the Urban Cowboy craze.:shock: Houston, unlike most of the rest of Texas, was a pretty full bodied experience and a hip place.:slash:

We had all the music from the coasts...just a little later than they did plus hard rock, southern rock, Texas music (which is strange mix of country, blues, rock and Tejano), country pop/Urban Cowboy, jazz and blues, disco and a shitload of live music on tap everywhere in the 545 sq mile area.

You could find something different to do every night of the week.

I think, the thing that ruined the 80s, was New Wave.:cool:

1 person likes this.
  16. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

Agreed, except the various genres of music that made up "New Wave" were pretty great. Sadly, a lot of the stuff that was popular was the worst of the lot. :thumb:

2 people like this.
  17. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

Van Halen was the shit from 1978-1980....they turned soft and mainstream by 1983.:dude: I never thought of myself as an older, dirtbag, dope smoking brother before...it sounds hurtful when you say it.

5 people like this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

I attended school in Central and SoCal from 1979 to 1984. VH was the shit ... if you had a rager while your parents were away, they were on the playlist. We all wanted to learn those licks, too. They were definitely considered metal, but there was a big difference in vibe, for us. VH at a party would loosen the gals' knees ... Sabbath would chase them off. Hmph.

3 people like this.
  19. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

I say it with affection. :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  20. SainT-314

SainT-314 Senior Member