Is David Lee Roth Gay ???

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by FLICKOFLASH, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

Meh... Like all groups of people, I think it's a mixed bag. I lived in the Montrose in Houston as a teenager in the 80s. At the time, it was the "weird" and artsy neighborhood... A little dangerous, and also the "gay neighborhood". Houston actually has one of the largest gay populations in the US, actually.

I encountered some pretty unpleasant gay people of both genders back then, and since then, but they are a minority, just like truly unpleasant straight people are.

I've known a few man hater lesbians, but most weren't like that. I think that as a sexual minority, they just prefer to be around other women or something... Just like most people like to be around others that are similar to themselves.

I DO have a male friend that accidentally walked into one of Houston's biggest lesbian bars one afternoon, and he was asked to leave... Which is pretty lame. But most of the lesbians I've known, have been nice enough people.

3 people like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

Its the space suit man--:D

3. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

I had a friend I grew up with that went of to college, and I hadn't seen him for about 5 years, he ended up up dying of aids. All of us neighbor hood guys still hung around together and to a man said we never cared that he was Gay. Looking back I dont know how though, he listened toDepeche Mode, LOL. He was a great guy still miss him. Never threw it in our faces. We never made fun of him for not being a tough guyor any of that nonsense.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

Is it my imagination, or has this thread turned into something personal regarding gayness or non gayness??

minus all juvenile, sophomoric humor on my part---

I really could give a rat's ass who is or is not gay--

I have read some unbelievable bullshit on this thread though--

I liked the one about every single gay man somebody met being genuinely pleasant--

I have known plenty of gay people--the degree of assholeness contained within gay folks is about the same as all other cross sections of Americans--- :)

DLR has lost it as a front man and is more of a flamer now, than Liberace ever was-- I don't care--but he is really out there now days--

He was one of the best front men in rock and roll history in his prime---something that nobody reading this post will likely be able to say about themselves --

3 people like this.
  5. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

Yeah, gay or not, he was the perfect frontman about this time in history:

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCfjv0gGC4]Van Halen - live at baltimore - 1982 (full show) - YouTube[/ame]

3 people like this.
  6. poncho

poncho Banned

Don't care, and, can't believe this is a thread, really. Some of you dudes are real neanderthals tho, yeah?:laugh2:

As far as top frontman of any given year?

I'll haveta pass on that one

36 and I still can't figure out the appeal

7. Malikon

Malikon Skree-ONK! V.I.P. Member

that's probably a part of it. It was before our time.

...Course,...so was Black Sabbath,......:hmm:

...nevermind, .. I got nothin'. :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  8. poncho

poncho Banned

Haha! Yeah, but c'mon Mal, Sabbath rules

9. poncho

poncho Banned

When I was 8, in 84, i had a choice. The Boss, Prince, Madonna or VH. Jump was all the rage. Anybody really like that tune?

seriously?

Anyway, everybody talks about guitar revolution and all that, I just hear math problems and keyboards

pass

10. Malikon

poor guy.

Shame no one was around to show you Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Exodus.

I had that same problem mid 80's, (also being a kid), but I went right to thrash metal after my mama weaned me on Sabbath.

...bless that woman.

2 people like this.
  11. stock_hippie

stock_hippie Banned

[​IMG][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

God, I hope that's a belt hanging there and not an old brown....

2 people like this.
  13. Malikon

I know I was just a kid at the time, but does the 80's ever seem like 2 entirely different decades to some people?

You mention VH, Madonna, Prince, Bruce Springsteen,...and I kind of remember that happening. The bright 80's clothes (neon) and Swatch watches and stuff like that,...but looking back it seemed like that stuff was happening 'up top.' Stuff like that 'Saved by the Bell' tv show was nothing like what I remember of the 80's really.

Meanwhile down below all I or anyone knew was ripped jeans, black t shirts, and trying to find metal that was faster/heavier/scarier then the last fast, heavy, scary thing we could find. It was almost like a brutality arms race or something.

idk, it's kinda funny I suppose. When people talk about the mid 80's I'm always like, "I was there and don't remember any of that."

maybe because I was a kid? Maybe if I were a teenager in the mid 80's it would've seemed different.

Mostly I remember Commodore 64 games, black and white tv with tin-foil for an antennae and no cable, Atari2600, guitar and heavy metal.

I do remember if you had a pair of white high tops that were open with the laces stuffed inside, with good jeans and a metallica t-shirt,....you were a cool MF'er. :dude:

seems like some people lived through the 80's on the glam side of the tracks, and others lived through them on the Speed Metal side of the tracks. (it actually used to be called that,...Speed Metal.)

ol' Stock is probably just glad you looked. :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  14. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

Well, I was 15 in 84, and that era of Van Halen was when I thought the decline began. I'm not even really a fan, but I recognize the weird charisma that most compelling frontmen seem to have, and DLR had it at one time. Same with EVH. Not much of a super fan, but he DID rewrite the rules for rock guitar, and I have to credit him for that.

Snapshots in time, nothing less and nothing more. By 84 I was listening to bands like Black Flag and the like, so Van Halen wasn't exactly my thing at the time. Sabbath? Sabbath was pretty awful by 1984... Although I still listened to plenty of their early material.

3 people like this.
  15. Donnie

Donnie Senior Member

Saw ACDC and Malmstein together. Malmstein was absolutely on fire ! I I was like 27 .lol.

2 people like this.
  16. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

The 80s was really a pretty interesting decade in that there was an awful lot of very different stuff going on musically and culturally. The same decade that spawned bands like Culture Club, spawned bands like Slayer... It wasn't a decade where there were one or two major trends that everyone seemed to follow - There were tons of very different trends, and people really fell into very different camps musically and socially.

3 people like this.
  17. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

I saw that tour.

1 person likes this.
  18. Malikon

that's what I remember most.

Punks didn't associate with Headbangers (for example)

and admitting you liked a rap song was like....I don't even know....it would've just been a horrid confession. Rap was hated!

things were very divided with very little crossover, (and daring to do it like Anthrax did could yield a serious backlash.)

Like the yuppie thing. I remember hearing about them, or seeing Marcy Rhoads on tv (married w/ children), but I never actually met anyone like that.

honestly what I remember about the 80's seems like what I see in movies as being the 70's.

Dark basements, wood paneling, Sabbath on the stereo, all the parents or older siblings smoking pot, cars made of metal and not plastic.....

no wonder I'm confused, my 80's were like the 70's and then the 90's were like the 70's again,...then the 2000's came along and the whole world went to sh*t. :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  19. poncho

poncho Banned

Mal, that was fun to read, thanks fer sharing:thumb: Couldn't wait to grow up at the time, now I go out of my way to go back to that that time. Life's an ocean, or wotever the saying is

Skinny, there's no charisma to me. It's just dork rock for dorks. Not even smart dorks either, like most of the new wave stuff was aimed to, or for

It just seemed fake and sad to me, and obnoxious

1 person likes this.
  20. Malikon

I always viewed it as party music for rich kids.

...couldn't identify,...still don't.

2 people like this.