iRig & Amplitude

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Splattle101, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Who's using the simple iRig into Amplitude on a phone or pad? Is anybody getting any decent sounds out of this thing?

I got one to see what it was like, with the intention of my daughter using it for practice or whatever on her old iPod touch 5. But I'm finding it kinda crappy sounding and not particularly easy to use anyway. Tips welcome.

And the feedback!! WTF is that about?!!? Even with the feedback filter working, it's just about unmanageable with the gain control past 3 o'clock.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Maybe it's the headphones?

cybermgk likes this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Headphones can be an issue, yep.

Love my high end modelers, but never really liked Amplitube, personally.

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

What interface are you using? There's an analog one and a digital one. The digital one costs twice as much as the analog and is reported to be much better.

5. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I'm using reasonable headphones and the little analogue interface. Perhaps that interface is contributing to the crappy sound.

The other thing is that it just doesn't seem to be a very friendly way of doing the business of playing the guitar. I dial up the amp on my phone. Fine. I then dial up a stomp box. Fine. And now I have to use my finger on a touch screen to turn the stomp on and off. I was doing that with my foot before, so this is a step backwards. It's basically a pain in the arse, unless I get a MIDI controller of some sort.

And a foot controller defeats the purpose of having the app on two levels:
    - first, I've got a bunch of real pedals on a board, so why would I use simulations of those things that are more awkward to use; and
    - it completely nullifies the portability advantage of the iPlug. Great, I have an iPlug I can connect to my phone, and use with headphones...and a floor controller.

It's also really, really noisy. Like, constant hiss, crackle, pop, hum, bzzzt, fart, bzzzzt. Like you're sitting right up next to the speak cloth of a cranked Marshall, in a room full of flouro lights with a washing machine running off the same power in the next room over.

After 24 hours I'm coming to the conclusion that this concept is a waste of space unless you're really space constrained and are willing to only use the iPlug and the app itself, with no external controllers or FX. In those circumstances, it's better than nothing. But only just.

Think I'll put this one down to experience and try a Micro Terror next.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Do your homework on the MT. I’ve heard it and it’s a great little amp, but according to MLP Batman, the headphone is not pleasant. But the Micro Dark supposedly has a cab sim?

The Tech 21 Sansamp line of pedals make for good headphone amps with a decent mixer. Myself personally, I just don’t like playing with headphones.

7. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes, the analog interface can do that, as can the trs jack your plugging into. It's a cheap interface.

I'd say not so much space constrained as cash constrained. A Helix floor unit isn't that big, and eliminates EVERY issue you mentioned. But, it's cost is a bit more. Amplifire options fix most of what you complained about, (all if right model), but again costs a bit more. Heck, imho, even many of the PODs would be a better option than that analog irig and amplitube.

8. stp

stp Member

bias amp is the way to go in fact its all I use lately my amp been sitting