iPhone X

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by acstorfer, Dec 7, 2017.

1. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Well I done did it and got me a new iPhone X. Ironically I’m writing this post on my old iPhone 6+ while the new one is still being set up.

I was actually going to make the move to Android this time around, but there were a few reasons I stayed with Apple.

1. Apple did something very cool with iTunes. Every movie you own on iTunes that becomes available in 4K gets converted for free. Add to that no movie is over $19.99 and it’s actually a great bargain. Also they fused iTunes with Vudu, Amazon, and Ultraviolet so most of the videos purchased from any of these sources is available through all of the apps. Most work, but there are some exceptions.

2. I just got the AppleTV 4K streamer and it’s excellent. It is much preferred to my previous version AppleTV’s, Xbox 1S, Fire Stick, Fire TV, and chrome cast.

3. This is actually the main reason, my car stereo syncs with Siri. I push down on the volume button and I’m completely hands free on calls (of course), navigation, messages, and music (works awesome with iTunes subscription). While I could still do that stuff without iOS, I wouldn’t be able to do it hands free.

I just got it so I can’t do a thorough review yet, but so far so good. Here’s what I got so far.

It’s incredibly easy going from one iPhone to the X. All I needed to do was set the X up near my 6+ and it does everything for me. Well except for reinstalling all my apps. That’s a bit of a pinta.

It’s very fast.

The video quality is exceptional. It has some serious picture quality.

Music out of the speakers is much better.

The Animojis are a lot of fun, but really just a novelty.

It works quite different without a home button so I have a lot to learn, but it’s nothing terrible.

The screen size isn’t much bigger than the previous + models, but the phone is a good deal smaller.

The Face ID works well, but I think I prefer the Touch ID. Time will tell with that.

There is a tab on the top of the screen that can make watching videos a bit weird, unless you want to shrink down the size of the video.

I am shocked at the amount of storage! Something like 250 gigs. That is insane.

I am a bit bothered about my computer right now though. It’s been a long time since I turned it on. I have over 35 gigs of music on it that I wanted to sync with my phone. I never bothered with my old phone. Anyway iTunes is outdated. For some reason I can’t get an internet connection with the computer. If worse comes to worse, I’ll have to put all the music on an external hard drive and transfer it to a newer laptop that I have and never use.

AT&T shipped it to me and I actually got it much earlier than expected. Apple went from being able to make something like 50,000 a day to 500,000 a day. Anyway AT&T had a promotion with an OtterBox Defender Case for $20.00. They shipped the phone without a case. I’ve seen the videos of the glass on the back being shattered from pretty small drops so I’ll be sweating it out until the case gets here.

I really haven’t tried out many apps yet but it’s my understanding that many of the apps still need to be optimized for the X by the developers.

It’s quite different from previous versions, while still being somewhat familiar.

More to come

SFK, Donal, Howard2k and 2 others like this.
  2. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

the hardware seems cool though not much different really but the software isnt there yet. imo they jumped the gun and rushed to meet the deadline so I will not be going the iphone x route. I might get the 7 (despite my protest after the loss of the 3.5mm jack) but I want something with the dual cameras.

3. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Thanks for the write up and your thought process on how you made the decision.

RAG7890 likes this.
  4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

All of the new phones pretty much rock. I may be on the Razer next.

parts likes this.
  5. nauc

nauc Senior Member

what car stereo?

6. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I'm enjoying the note 8. Thought it was too big but best phone I've had to date. Glad you like yours

Malikon likes this.
  7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

My S8+ has been pretty much flawless.

Malikon and Crotch like this.
  8. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Sony MEX XB 100 BT

9. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Very cool. I have a 7. Work provided, so it’ll be a while before I can justify an X. It’s an interesting phone, I think they’ve been pretty adventurous.

10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Handled a work colleague’s X today. It’s pretty awesome from what I can tell.

I use a 6.

:cheers2:

11. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

I still have a 6, that I plan to keep until it dies. I have zero desire to piss away $1k on a phone. Especially for one that will most assuredly break when dropped, unless it is placed in some unergonomic, vault-like protective case.

My run with new Apple products may be over. New MBP's are shit. New iPhones are stupid-expensive shit. OMFG, could I have come full-circle 2+ decades later and be going back to the evils of Microshit?

Please let my Apple stuff last another 5 years!!!!

lancpudn and Who like this.
  12. Who

Not likely:
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/11/15952654/microsoft-windows-phone-end-of-support
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/09/windows-phone-dead/

Also not likely. Your phone may work just fine. They will stop releasing iOS versions that are supported on your phone. App vendors will later make apps that won't be allowed to download or run on your version of iOS.

The very last iOS version that gets forced on your phone will make it run like such a piece of garbage, you will throw it in the river.

This is what happened to my "still working fine" iPad2. The iPad is fine, it just runs like sht on the software "upgrade" that you can't roll back from.

SteveC likes this.
  13. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I’ve had this thing going for over 8 hours and I just hit the 20% mark. Nothing extraordinary, but better than my 6. From what I understand, the 8 has a better battery life than the X.

SteveC likes this.
  14. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

love my 8 plus. probably the best phone i've had.

...i also may give the razor a try next time around

15. Who

Where is the iPhone 9? Is it in hiding, along with 'Windows 9'?!

16. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

I know <sigh>... I am locked in. Calendar, contacts, email. they all just "work" from device to device seamlessly. I really don't wnat to have to undo that

17. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

On a pocket-sized screen does 4k resolution make any difference?

Malikon likes this.
  18. rxbandit

rxbandit Senior Member

I'm absolutely loving my Pixel 2 XL. Best phone I've ever had by a pretty good margin and I've had some good phones. Most flagships nowadays are excellent.

The camera is absolutely incredible on this phone. Can truly get close to DSLR quality

19. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Surprisingly it does. A lot more information is in 4K videos. Standard definition usually takes around 3 gigs of information. High definition is usually around 6 gigs of information. I loaded in some HD movies and they run around 16 gigs (Batman vs Superman was almost 24 gigs).

It really is noticeable, at least as much as my 65” 4K TV.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  20. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I charged my iPhone from 5% to 100%. It took around 3 hours. That is much slower than my 6+ was, but that phone after a couple years probably only had around 50% to charge.