Introducing my own reverb toneprint for HOF Mini. Editor required.

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by 5F6-A, Nov 1, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I was after a decent spring-esque reverb with my HOF mini. Not an easy task as spring reverb is notoriously ans infamously difficult to emulate digitally. However, i've been tweaking the whole afternoon and I'm quite pleased with the result. I'm sharing the settings here for all of you who have the HOF mini and who would like to give them a try. It's not as springy as I'd like and it lacks a genuine dirty, drippy spring boingness so characteristics to accutronics tanks but rather cool nonetheless. Not a million miles away from some vintage amp-reverb tones.

Reverb settings. Nice and bright but smooth sounding. Knob now controls 3 parameters. The wetter the sound, the shorter the decay with a progressive increase in a deliberate faux mechanical trashy add-on (see below).
    [​IMG]

Modulation. Just a touch of flanger does a good job at simulating some of the sonic flutter of the revered spring reverb. It's not 100% accurate as achieved by more recent units (e.g. Keeley) but it works to some degree and surprisingly meshes okay with the reverb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The final product sounded nice with my Strat and a small 1x10" Marshall combo. You might want to try it... Please let me know your opinion.

2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Very cool of you sharing your work! The only real problem I have with the Tonepring stuff, is that TC has not "opened up" the software to users, so they can store their presets in files, recall them when they wish, share with other users etc. Your effort just reminded me of that.

Regardless, thanks for sharing!

5F6-A likes this.
  3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Cheers!!! See if I can make a quick demo.....

That's so true. The only way to share is to copy and paste the actual parameters (like I did :D)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  4. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I keep tweaking the setting whilst listening to different reverbs to find a sound I'm happy with. I found this video very helpful as it compares real plate and real spring reverb. The HOF plate is rather nice actually but I must admit that I hated the spring setting. Now, it's fairly good.
    Spring reverb is temperamental and trashy but that's why I love it sometimes.
    Key ele,emts for achieving a reverb that sits wells in the mix and is reminiscent of the old spring reverb in Fender amps are IME the following: almost no predelay or early reflections, conservative low frequencies and some subtle sonic metallic debris in the reverb.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017