Instrument Cables?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Fretboard, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

or Silent Angled Jack to Angled SILENT Jack?

2. jco.1

jco.1 Senior Member

I wandered into GC this past weekend for my three month supply of strings, and found the Live Wire Elite cables on sale with a $20 instant rebate; 18.5 ft cable for $24.99. I'm going back this weekend to see if they have any left; it sounds great. I was prepared to shield one of my guitars, and now it is dead silent.

3. Geetarguy

Geetarguy Senior Member

I buy Monster.....they have a lifetime guarantee.....if it stops working just take it back to GC and they will replace it with a new one.......I have had an occasion to return a few cables and GC honors the warranty (I know I hate GC too)......

4. Last

Last The Cleaner Premium Member

I have a friend that honestly felt that most if not all insturment cables of the higher end were just snake oil & not worth the expense.

That is until his wife bought him this...

Klotz cable for his birthday one year. He was pizzed until he plugged in. Then as they say, the rest is history. :)

It completely changed his entire outlook on a "good instrument cable" & how it can truly hep with your tone.

5. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

I've still got a load of Klotz cables. In fact Klotz was my preference prior to the discovery of Van Damme. They sound pretty similar, but the Van Damme cable suffers marginally less "handling noise". Not a lot in it.

Cleartone used to use Klotz cable, but now use Van Damme. Neutrik connectors are still the industry standard, and for good reason.

Liam

6. BluesLover

BluesLover Senior Member

How long is 8MO? Does that mean 8 Meters?

7. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Probably about 20-25 feet

8. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Very long haha.

9. BluesLover

BluesLover Senior Member

Yeah, I wouldn't need more than 20 feet at most. :laugh2:

10. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

i want about 12-13 feet.

11. nickthenail

nickthenail Junior Member

I've been using a braided 25ft Spectraflex cable for the past 15+ years and it's built like a tank...although I've never done a tone comparison with other cables.
    It sounds damn good to me though!

12. Bionic Muffins

Bionic Muffins Senior Member

spectraflex fatsoflex and planet waves pro.

13. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

keep the length to a minimum and get planet waves circuit breakers...as the name suggests you can switch off the signal if you change a guitar and prevent blowing peoples heads off with your amp cranked.....ive used them for years...and if they break you just cut that bit off and push the jack back on...also no soldiering required and they guaranteed for life......so they say..although i have bought 3 in my lifetime and only have one left...its just easier to buy a new one

14. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

why dont you make some? anphernol connectors and mogami cable

15. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

This thread interests me, as I know little about cables. Oh, I know those thin little gray things with molded jacks that come with cheap guitars (and some not-so-cheap guitars) are crap and should be thrown out. I've just been using an 18' cable I bought at my luthier's store for $18 from my guitar to my pedals. My luthier does not sell junk (and if he has to because he took it on trade, he tells you it's junk). So I presume this cable is decent, because he said it was.

Thing is, I had my pedals running from a 20' cable to the amp, and that is a total of 38' (not counting the patches between cables). And I had wondered why my rig sounded so much better with the clean boost on!? So for my practice room, I replaced the 20' cable from pedals to amp with a 6' cable, and it sounds much better with the clean boost off now, as well as with it on.

16. Bakelite

Bakelite Guest

I used to run Canare GS-6 which does the job, tried a few others that were supposed to be better, none of them were to my ears,
    until I tried Evidence Lyric, it's the GS-6 but clearer, bassier, more full range.
    Pricy though

17. Barabus

Barabus Senior Member

I've just bought another les Paul and for some reason they don't like the Nuetrik leads? They work great for every other guitar I've got, anyone else found this?