Instrument Cables?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Fretboard, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Anyone know of any good instrument cables, I was looking at the Dimarzio and Monster cables. Dimarzio seem to be the most
    bang for the buck and Monster I'm starting to think that I would be paying for the name.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

skydog likes this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I use Planet Waves cables for my entire guitar rig, as well as for most of my band's PA system.

They haven't let me down yet, and if one goes bad I just take it back to the store and get a new one. Lifetime guarantees rawk. :D

- D

3. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Snap Jacks. Interchangeable tips connected to the cable by a strong magnet, tips break free before causing damage to your instrument or pulling it off of a stand, and they are almost silent to remove the cable from the tip and switch instruments w/out powering down your rig. I love 'em - and will never use anything else. They are the best designed cables out there IMO.

4. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

From the UK. Priced in pounds. I assume they'll export:

Award Session Cables. Welcome to award-session.com ClearTone Cables

Just honest really. Van Damme cable (the best), Neutrik plugs (the best), low prices, win every accolade going from the magazines, and cheaper than you can buy the bare cable and plugs anywhere else.

A no-brainer for me.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Try this site. Many cables to choose from. They explain cables and what makes good ones.

Lava Cable

6. Ekoms

Ekoms Senior Member

I like Fulltone cables. Dont tangle at all and comes with a lifetime warranty. Very nice cables. Kind of expensive though, but wayy better than any monster cables Ive had.

7. gmacdonnell

gmacdonnell V.I.P. Member

I think all the above are good selections, (though I don't think the Snap Jacks have a sound quality in the same league as the rest, but they're very functional.)

You're right about Monster Cables: they make a good product but charge an awful lot for it. And their "affordable" cables, (anything under $50,) are not very good quality.

In the lower price ranges, if you can't find Cleartones, (which are tough to come by in the US,) I'd say Dimarzio's or Fulltones are both great, and excellent value.

George L's and Bill Lawrence also make excellent cables for not much money, but you have to assemble them yourself.

But a good Dimarzio cable will last a long-time and will give great tone. I used them for years, and still do when I want their particular sound on a recording. A nice warm, full, and clear tone.

8. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

9. Frails

Frails Senior Member

One of the best investments I've ever made in the tone department was to buy Evidence Audio cables. Blanket removed and that is not an exaggeration in the slightest.

10. Drudeboy

Drudeboy V.I.P. Member

Wish I'd known about these before! great value for money.
    Some good info here too

http://www.award-session.com/pdfs/ClearTone Cable Guide.pdf

11. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

i use whirlwind and live wires.

i dunno about all the hype and expense in buying $50 cables for the gold ends etc

yeah they might last longer but how much power are the pups putting out to benefit from it all. the resistance per foot cant be all that different

then you take a high end gold plated cable and plug it into a $75 stomp box negating the benefit

dont make sence to me so i use the cheapies

12. Darkburst

Darkburst Senior Member

Monster Cables are shit. I'm not hard on my cables, but the Monster Rock cables I had stopped working a bunch of times. After my last free replacement I Ebay'd them and bought Mogami cables which haven't failed me in three years and also have a life time warranty.

13. gmacdonnell

I've had that problem before with Monster's 500 series. Their 1000 series are terrific cables, and sound incredible: but they cost quite a bit more than comparable cables.

I still use them in combo amps, because not too many companies make a direct replacement for combo speaker cables. Since the cable is so short, it's about $25, and a great upgrade for any amp.

But I'm not planning on buying any more Monster cables, not when there are so many great choices for less money.

14. Gold_topped

Gold_topped Senior Member

I have to admit, I use the $20 "local guitar store" brand cables, and I have never had any issues. They are extremely well shielded, flexible, and at half the cost of Monster cables, they arent any different sound wise.

I own top dollar Monster cables, but really, even recording, they make no difference IMO. Its all about marketing.:hmm:

15. Mr Brownstone

Mr Brownstone Member

I like Hotlines the most

16. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

I think I might get the Cleartones but there is a lot of choices in them any in particular you reccomend?

17. dork5002002

dork5002002 Senior Member

Those cables look pretty nice. I couldn't help but notice they have 20 meter cables. That seems pretty long for instrument cable. I usually hear 6 to 8 meters is the max you want an instrument cable to go.

18. gmacdonnell

For a Gibson Les Paul the Silent angled jack is great: 8M0, Inst, JSM/JAMS
    8 meters is about as long as I'd go without a buffer or clean boost.

Cleartones are terrific. Wish they were more available in the States.

19. PGblues

PGblues Member

If you can get your hands on a cable made by Adam Laboga from Breslau/Wroclav, you should give it a try. They are fantastic, and a lot less expenive than Monster cables.

Laboga - Wzmacniacze lampowe

20. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Would I want the straight jack to be silent or the angled jack to be silent.