Installing EMG's in LP with QuickConnect set-up?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Shamati, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Shamati

Shamati Member

Hi,
    I'm waiting for a delivery of a set of EMG 57/66 (& long shaft pots) that should be possible to install without soldering.
    But will it work with the Gibson Quick Connect system already in the guitar?

Why do I need new pots for EMG pickups? Why can't I use the ones already in the guitar?

2. Wylde Chylde

Wylde Chylde Senior Member

No, you won't be able to use them with the Gibson Quick connect system, but you won't need to with the EMG solderless setup.

You need new pots because EMGs will only work with 25K pots, whereas your 'stock' pots are probably somewhere in the 250K-550K range. If you're going to install the EMGs, just pull out all of the factory Gibson components and install the EMG kit as shown in the included diagrams.

You will reuse your pickup selector switch as they are typically not included with the EMG kits. You'll just wire it to the wiring terminal block that EMG provides. Also, if it doesn't come with a jack, you'll need a stereo jack as well to allow the power to be switched on/off when you insert/remove your guitar cable.

3. Shamati

Shamati Member

Thanks!
    A stereo jack is included because I bought it as a set - but I also bought a set of long shaft pots because I know I'll need them for the Les Paul (so I'll have the 4 short shaft pots included left). Only the Zakk Wylde set comes with the correct pots for the LP.

So I couldn't just remove the pots already in the board & install the EMG pots?
    Will I have to do something else if I remove the QC board? Shielding the cavity, etc?

I've never installed pickups myself before

4. Wylde Chylde

Wylde Chylde Senior Member

OK, so the only piece of the existing wiring/components that you will reuse will be the pickup selector switch. Just follow the provided instructions with the EMG kit and you'll be set.

It will be a cleaner and more reliable installation if you simply remove everything else (minus the selector switch) from the control cavity. EMGs won't reuse the existing bridge ground either, so you can leave that disconnected when you install the EMGs. You won't need to shield the cavity with EMGs either. They should be extremely quite in terms of noise in comparison to traditional passive pickups.

Just follow the instructions and you should be fine. If not, feel free to PM me for some help.

5. Shamati

Shamati Member

Yes exactly! & the screw & springs perhaps.

When I bought the Gibson I received 2 extra Quick Connect cables that I can use for another pickup set. I originally intended to keep the board & just attach those cables but I'll do whats most simple. It'd be nice If I could return it to its original state if I ever decide to sell the instrument.

6. Z.K.

Z.K. Senior Member

The 57/66 messed me up, i don't want to use anything else...lol
    You will need long shaft pots if it's going into a LP.

7. Shamati

Shamati Member

Hi again ! I have just installed the pickups but I have a problem with the pickup selector.

My Les Paul is from 2016 so it has the quick connect system & I couldn't just replace the pots with EMG's so I removed the whole board.

But the pickup selector also came with a connector which couldn't be removed so I cut the cables of & was trying to wire them up exactly like EMG says to do with Gibson's.

But the selector had 5 cables: 2 black, 1 green, 1 red, 1 white. (1 black lost the coating completely or didn't have any when I cut the connector of). EmG says Red is Bridge, White is neck, black is output & green is ground but I am worries this won't work if I string it up now. Why is there 5 cables?

8. stp

stp Member

2 of the wires are ground

9. Shamati

Shamati Member

Issue solved - It was me who attached the cables to the input jack the opposite of how they were supposed to be :) I rewired the cables to the pickup switch 10 times - trying every combination when it was the most simple part that was wrong.

They sound great - they sure have a lot of output. The EMG 57 actually has a similar "honk" to the tone as the 57 classic + but with more output.

Somehow the neck pickup feels very hot - almost as hot as the bridge. The volume pots don't function very well. With the passives I could dial in a nice gain sound with a boost & roll back the volume on the neck pickup to get a clean sound - with this it goes from 0 to 10 very quickly.

They don't sound as "Hi-Fi" as the 81/85 set - More Michael Schenker than In Flames. Like them a lot.

Now I just need to find a way to get the volume & tone knobs attached looking the same as it did before. Might have squeezed the or to hard for the knobs to stick.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  10. Zenatty1

Zenatty1 Premium Member

I have them in two les pauls- love love love them!