Installed Guitar Fetish Brass Bridge and Tailpiece on my Korina Explorer

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Kong, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Kong

Kong Senior Member

About a year ago I was getting tired of the crappy buzzy pot metal bridge on my Explorer. So I purchased a solid brass bridge and tailpiece from Guitar Fetish. I ordered it with their studs and bushings. I thought the bushings were a drop in, but they are slightly larger than stock so the holes would have to be expanded. I put the project on hold for a while as I didn't feel confident to drill into my sweet Explorer. I did try to use the tailpiece and studs with the stock bushings and i managed to destroy the studs in the process. The threads just are not a match and I mangled the chrome trying to force them. I ordered a set of studs and bushings from Faber for when I was ready to do the mod correctly.

Yesterday when I was playing the buzzing of the bridge became too much for me. So this morning I borrowed a drill and some drill bits from my father-in-law. He has a great set of drill bits that go in 1/32" increments. The holes only needed to be expanded slightly from about 11mm to 12mm. I'm sure using a drill press is recommended, but I didn't have access so I used a hand power drill. I started with a 7/16 bit (11.11mm) and had to work up to a 15/32 (11.9mm). This left the hole very snug for the bushings and I had to hammer them in with a rubber hammer. I put the stock studs into the replacement bushings to hammer them in. They screwed all the way into them bushings so I figured I wasn't hurting the threads too much. Luckily I was able to use the new studs and they screwed right in. For the tailpiece I used the Faber locking studs with the smallest spacer. and I used all the GFS parts for the bridge. I didn't get much time to play with it once I got it all set up. It doesn't buzz anymore and it seems louder but. It was pretty simple to set the action and intonation and it does feel solid as a rock. I like the look of the raw brass. The bridge locks by being screwed down onto the studs and the saddles are also individually locked onto the bridge with set screws from both directions - towards the neck and the bridge.

I would totally do this mod again and have no regrets.

I have GFS humbuckers in this guitar with individual volumes and a master tone pot that is also push/pull which coil splits both buckers. I also have tuners with the raw brass keys from GFS.

Okay enough typing here are a few pics. By the way my LG G3 took some killer pics of the close up details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Very nice! That is a job well done! :applause::thumb:

I've been checking out those bridges for awhile on the GFS site.

It's great actually seeing them on a guitar like mine!

Really does look solid as a rock.

3. lord-humongous

lord-humongous Member

Looks really slick. Nice choice.

4. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Kikass!

Love the way the raw brass looks.

5. Kong

Kong Senior Member

This really is an awesome setup, everything is just locked down tight. The tailpiece is locked to the bushings and the bridge is locked onto the studs.

If I ever change tune-o-matics on any of my guitars i will be going with these. I may even buy a couple as spares in case they become unavailable in the future. They have a wrap-tail model that I would consider for my Firebird, but the stock setup seems about perfect to me so not sure if there is a point to it, other than to have the individual intonation for each string. It looks pretty tall though and there is no way I'd take a router anywhere near my Firebird:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments. I couldn't be happier. I got off work at midnight and played it until 3 a.m. last night!