Info on this Epiphone Flying V?

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by collared_dove7, Dec 5, 2010.

1. collared_dove7

collared_dove7 Junior Member

We bought this epiphone flying v for 100$. Not bad came with a tiny amp.
    But we no nothing about it. so I'm hoping SOMEone can know something..!
    Heres some photos of it. c:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the HUGE photos o.o;; I don't have photoshop or anything on this computer. So...nothing to resize em' with..!

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't know where else to put it.

2. JonMan94

JonMan94 Senior Member

thats a rare one ive never seen... nice, id say do some upgrades like the bridge and the ups, set her up and go on to riff....

3. Jim_D

Jim_D Member

The headstock shows the "Epiphone by Gibson" logo; it was a far-eastern made line and they had various super-str*ts, this V, an Explorer and a LP special type if I recall correctly. There was also a PRS-type that was a bit more deluxe and some basses.

This would be from about 1988, the era when Jackson/Charvel reigned supreme! I had a super-str*t from the same era (humbucker and locking trem), and I would hazard a guess that it even had the same-batch neck as this V. As you can see from the pics it is more of a V-shaped str*t in construction than a Gibson or modern Epi-style guitar.

Build was quite similar to other budget super-str*t/pointy-headstock types of that era, like Marlin and Encore. The locking trems pivoted on two posts and had fine tuners but a locking nut only. The back of the headstocks used to have a little clamp with two allen keys on for adjusting the bridge and lock-nut. The machines and electronics were okay and the body was well finished on mine in a nice glittery black, but after about a year I traded it in for a Yamato Telec*ster that I still have.

Is the body ply? You may be able to tell in the cavities, like the trem-spring cavity.

Anyway, I always loved the Explorer type headstock on a V. $100 sounds like a reasonable price if it plays okay (which it should do if it has survived this long). Would be easy to mod the electronics and maybe even the bridge.

Regardless, enjoy it!

4. Jim_D

Jim_D Member

5. g60_dave

g60_dave Senior Member

Marshall knobs!

6. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I had one just like this in the late 80's but it was metallic red with chrome/nickel hardware.
    Greta to see one again !! Wish I still had mine, it was a fun guitar! Maybe I need a gibson flying V!!

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

8. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

damn, too bad they don't still make those, I'd buy one. Or one of these even

[​IMG]

9. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

My very first guitar was a Epiphone Explorer shape guitar. I paid roughly $215.00 for It with my paper route money in 1986. It had a bolt on neck with a skunk stripe on the other side of neck and had the same exact Epiphone by Gibson on the headstock.

I remember that it was made from a multitude of layered wood, I had noticed that from taking the tremolo back cover off. Even then I knew that was a cheap build method.

I've been half assed looking for another one to buy again but I've only seen one on Ebay and it wasn't white like mine.

Cool little guitar!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017