Inexpensive, durable case for AX8 - FWIW

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by hbucker, Jun 24, 2017.

1. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I got this idea from someone else, but thought I'd pass it along.

This Ridgid case from Home Depot - $29 - works very well for storing and carrying an AX8.

I added the foam to keep it from moving around inside the case, but in its stock form the AX8 fits remarkably well - only a smidge of clearance all the way around. There is enough room on the side for the power cable and an XLR or two. And this thing is super sturdy.

Given what can be $pent on soft sided cases that are ostensibly designed specifically for musical gear, this seems like a steal and is way more durable.

That is all.

20170622_171658.jpg 20170622_171716.jpg

2. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Looks like it might be a little short for a Helix. What are the inside dimensions?

3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Definitely too small for Helix. I don't think the EV-1 expression pedal will even fit next to it. And the AX8 + EV-1 is the same width as the Pod HD500X. Helix is wider than the HD500X.

4. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Roughly 19.5" x 10" x 3.75" internally.

Arguably, not a ton of room beyond the AX8 and some cables. Honestly, If it were a little bigger, that would be good. But to store all of the things I have with me when I travel, it would have to be comparable in size to a Samsonite suitcase. Since I carry a duffle bag with me anyway, it isn't really a big deal to me that I can't fit more than cables in with this.

Obviously, if your Helix won't fit, then it's a deal breaker anyway.

I'll adapt a shoulder strap to it - which won't be difficult. On the plus side, this thing doesn't have to be babied. It's is a pretty rugged unit.

I get why someone might want something with different features. But golly! They sure do get you on the price of these things. One that I like is like $130... and it's soft sided. Figured the one I got was worth a try.

5. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The Gator GK-2110 keyboard bag snugly holds the AX8 and one EV-1 pedal for $40.