Increasing string gauge on a Floyd Rose Special.

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by RayTorvalds, Nov 3, 2017.

1. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Greetings, my fellow MPL'ers.

What do you guys think about 10-46 strings on a Floyd Rose Special ? Do you think the added tension will wear out the knife edges faster, or is it too little of an increase to cause problems over time ?

At a 25.5 scale length in standard tuning. the 9-42 set is approximately at a total of 85.13 pounds string tension where as a 10-46 set at the same scale length and tuning will be 103.59 pounds.

Will that increase in string tension be enough to cause issues over time ? Or should I be good to go and not worry about it ?

Thank you in advance for your answer and time :cheers2:

2. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Ray,
    I have an old ('83 0r '84) Kramer with an original Floyd that has always had .010-.046"s on it. It was used a lot for years. I see no noticeable wear in the baseplate, and very little on the posts.
    The spec.s for the FR Special say the baseplate is spot hardened so it should hold up pretty well. I've seen more posts wear than baseplates, so it's easy to replace them if they ever wear out.

RayTorvalds likes this.
  3. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Thank you for your reply @61LPSG .
    I should be good then.

4. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Don't worry about it. I've set my Jackson with a Schaller Lockmeister up for 10-46 strings for years and I haven't had a single problem. The baseplate is more than hard enough to take the extra tension. It's when you start rotating the action studs under string tension that you begin having problems.