Incoming NGD - SG 50's Tribute

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by srmd22, Nov 23, 2017.

1. srmd22

srmd22 Senior Member

Not here yet, but en route from Reverb:

[​IMG]

$599 total out the door, I don't know if that is a good price or not, but I think they were $899 new in 2013, so I figure it's okay. Not many around to compare too (I couldn't find any actually). I am hoping this will satisfy my jones for a light weight solid body guitar with P90's, particularly since I really like the SG ergo's. I was looking at the Gary Clarke Jr. version, but those are the slugs, which sound different (I have them in a 2015 LP Special DC, great pups, but different), and the controls, third pickup, etc, wasn't feeling it, especially with taking the hit buying new. A PRS McCarty soapbar could be in my future though.

Anyone have any recent experience with this model? I saw a couple of short threads, but not much out there about this one that I could find.

2. Paul46

Paul46 Senior Member

Can't help 'cos I don't have an SG, but that baby looks the business!

3. endial

endial Senior Member

That is the one I would have were I looking for an SG. How's the neck? I assume it's a '50's neck. I'd have to have a '50's or fatter neck on an SG.

Nice job. I think you did okay on the price. I would have paid that, anyways, and been pleased.

4. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

I bought the same guitar five days ago...

seems there is a HUGE stock around .. the german store I bought on line has more than 10 in each color

it plays GREAT..

I intended to use it as base to try some mods on a p90...
    I already put in 500k ( in the real world 410 k ) pots.. but I think it plays better with the stock 300k at the volume....
    today I will choose between PIO or orange drop caps.

I have a faber abr1 kit around... but the guitar plays really good as it is... and usually faber parts brighten the tone .. so they will stay in the closet...
    I also tried a nashville bridge with titanium saddles I have from my 2016 trad.... but, again, I prefer the warmer tone of the stock one.

Mine comes with the old g-force..... that works better then the new one one my trad... BTW.... maybe I will put some grover 102-18 in the future.

Lets say it's really good for the price..

here with my std

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Have FUN likes this.
  5. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Seems like a fair price to me. Congrats!

6. srmd22

srmd22 Senior Member

Thanks guys. @endial yes it is supposed to be a 50's profile neck, which I enjoy as well.

I've been struggling with my Std's lately, and really enjoying P90's in other guitars, but I love the form factor of the SG, so this seemed like a good bet.

endial likes this.
  7. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

I would like to put a black 3-ply pickguard on mine...

I think the one from a 2009 sg special will fit... cutting the part where the extra two frets are.

Do you know of other aftermarket PG that will fit ???

8. srmd22

srmd22 Senior Member

I don't, but I would be interested too - the way I play I mark up the PG area pretty good, with pick and fingernails.

9. Scotheath

Scotheath Senior Member

I picked 1 of those up at Best Buy online a few years ago, came set up nicely kinda high action but good with no fret buzz at all. Lowered to my likening and still no fret buzz. Mine came with traditional pots and caps but have heard some come with pcb board. Have left stock and get lots of good tones in all positions,neck both and bridge. It sits beside my computer and I pick it up and play it whenever I sit there. I've taken it out to practice more than once but not for awhile. It's lite and I've found I have to hold neck up while playing when standing up, pretty bad neck dive action, but when sitting down fiddling around at computer I dig it

10. Scotheath

Scotheath Senior Member

After thought. Go with a pick guard of some sort if you wanna protect finish it's pretty thin. I've worn down to bare wood below bridge pick up pretty quick. I don't really care cause I don't plan on selling it, just FYI

11. srmd22

srmd22 Senior Member

@Scotheath Cool, thanks for the description :) I kind of figured there might be some neck dive, given the 50's profile neck - I can tolerate a bit, so we'll just see how it goes. I hope it doesn't have the stupid PCB (what the hell is wrong with Gibson?). Should be here within a couple of days.

12. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

Mine unfortunately comes with the PCB.... same PCB code as my 2016 std printed on it... and same code printed on the pots too.... they are marked as 450k.. but while on the pcb coming from the standard the four pots are all around 410k... on the one from the tribute the two volumes are 280k...
    To me P90 work better with those ones...
    Moreover PCB caps are wired modern style.. while I prefer "old style"
    BTW the pickup too has the 5 poles "quick connector"......
    After some test I prefer the tone given by orange drop vs russian PIO.

13. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

In the end I made some conversion post by myself just to try how faber abr1 bridge works...
    On this guitar I wanna be able to go back and forth the mods in order to compare them... so nothing definitve as putting studs in with an hammer...
    Unfortunately I have only standard 5mm steel screws at home to work on.... tomorrow I will buy some brass screw to verify if there will be some difference in tone...
    BTW .. I think that aestetically ABR1 on this guitar is.. KILLER !!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hereunder the homemade conversion studs.... don't look at the finish... I made them in a hurry just to test the bridge....

[​IMG]

musicmaniac, endial and Have FUN like this.
  14. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Here is mine, I sold it because the neck profile. The black nut look chaap IMHO too.

[​IMG]

15. srmd22

srmd22 Senior Member

Got my 50's Tribute SG in the mail yesterday. Had just enough time to unpack it - it was in tune out of the box - and plug it in to test it before I had to leave for rehearsal. It is in mint condition, not a single ding, scratch or swirl. Nice chunky neck, definitely more like a 50's then a 60's - I love it. My buddy tried it and said it feels a little wider then say an LP 50's profile - I did not notice it myself.

No neck dive! I am pretty sure this was sold new with the E-tune in 2013, and this has nice kidney bean grover's, maybe that helps. Guitar plays perfectly, low action, zero buzzes, no weird neck issues (I have had these things before with Gibsons, and other guitars).

Sound is classic P90 - seems maybe a little thinner then LP 90's I have played, which translated into sitting in the mix really nicely, no muddiness at all, really clear and easy to hear even with another guitar, loud drummer, loud base - for me this is not always easy, especially with my humbucker guitars while playing rhythm parts.

The rest of the band liked it enough to actually comment on it positively (which is something, because I play a lot of different guitars, and they are used to seeing different ones every practice or two - so they are desensitized to it, lol). They also loved the appearance, which surprised me - I like it, too, but don't think it stands out, particularly.

I had a recently acquired used PRS Cu22 with me as well, that I played on a bunch of tunes. No comments on that one from the band, heheh. In fairness, it also sounded great, but I had some trouble going back and forth from single coils to HB's because of my amp/pedal set up, and it was more optimized for the P90's.

I am always a little trepidatious when receiving a new guitar, and even after playing one at home, I am sometimes disappointed when I get it to rehearsal. Occasionally, it takes a couple of rehearsals to dial it in, and might have to mess with pick up heights, etc, to get it right. But not infrequently, I have just not been able to get a sound that I found inspiring in a band setting. So I am very happy to report that this one really just worked, and that I got to test it live almost immediately with perfect results. Didn't even have to mess with pickup heights or set action, which is unusual. The one thing that bugs me is that this inexpensive instrument (relatively) feels and sounds as good as any of my high dollar ones, no exaggeration.

I'll post some images later on, from or after work.

Have rehearsal with another band tonight, I think I might take the same two guitars again.

musicmaniac and endial like this.