In what order should a guitarist learn

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by blueburst, Dec 31, 2007.

1. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

Hey guys another question.

My whole guitar experience has been playing power chords for the most part lots of old punk and new hardcore so its basically like I'm starting over.

In what order should a guitar player learn. (EX. what techniques should be learned before others, what picking styles should be learned before others and so on)

If I can plot a clear path to the end I will have a much better shot at becoming a good player vs. just jammin on power chords in some punk band.

2. Harpozep

Harpozep V.I.P. Member

Well alternate string picking can be a great boon to any guitarist, as can finger style Travis picking. Both are great tools to have in the bag. I finger picked twenty years before learning the Travis style, man, I had to relearn a lot of pieces, and the Travis style made the music make much more sense and was actually easier than my haphazard way of learning .
    You are doing the right thing, ASK and get a bit of direction. It will make for quicker rewards and a better learning curve.
    Obviously you know the neck some, being a rythym guitarist, so you're ahead of a lots of folks who start on the path.

I'd learn some major scales and blues scales and do some alternate picking exercises on them, working up your speed slowly as you go. Patterns that skip strings are great too.

My friend Hugh Ferguson has a simple lesson online that helps with major scale patterns:

Free Online Guitar Lesson by Hugh Ferguson

Backing tracks are there too, and his style is way different than what you are used to, he's a jazz/rock fusion guy from the Holdsworth school. Give it try. It will be a cool departure since you are expanding your abilities.
    Have fun:thumb:

3. 808

808 Senior Member

Nothing helped me understand guitar the way I know now until I started playing blues.

I used to be a metal player learning difficult rhytyms and solos, sitting down with a metronome playing scales and exercises, and studying music theory. But, it didn't all come together for me until I started jamming blues.

I'm still a rock player. Paul Gilbert has some great instructionals. I like the way he teaches.

4. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

cool I'll check out some paul gilbert books. Thanks

5. im_b0r3d_

im_b0r3d_ V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

How long have you been playing?

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Senior Member

7. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I think one should start with open chords learning changes practicing different strums , Learning how to inter operate different chords then with various scales learning all the open notes and the progression of notes
    complete bar chords, then begin working scales up the neck

8. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

theyre no rules... play or learn what you want to learn as of today.

i remember back in the day learning barre chords. it took me a solid month to get one to sound clean. and that was after already playing for over 1 1/2 years at that time.

i was the cowboy chords king of the town at that time

I played only maj and min pents for 25 years and only started the modes a few years ago. never had any intrest in modes until then.

I have the first 5 down pat in every key and slowly wokring in the last 2.

im in no rush, when i get there i get there lol

9. blueburst

blueburst Senior Member

How long have you been playing?

around 6yrs but just now getting serious

10. tredfern011

tredfern011 Member

I have looked into this website justinguitar.com. THANKS, I am using him now, I find that some of the things that he is teaching I did not know. I also use GuitarTricks.com which is pretty good. I get lessons from them quite a bit. I try and EAT up as much of this stuff as I can. I just started learning last year. :thumb: