In search of... my vintage SG; any 1962-1964 SG Standards w/o vibrato?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by jgonway, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jgonway

jgonway Member

So after looking at current and recent production, and then playing a few vintage SGs-- the answer became clear. Go with vintage.

I am torn between a Standard, Special and a Junior. I do know that I prefer the beefier neck and I want one before the narrower nut comes into play in 1965. So I have narrowed myself down to the years 1962-1964.

I need to spend some more time playing some standards, specials and juniors. Of course, Standards go for more $$$ then Specials and Specials go for more than juniors-- all other things being equal.

I really do not want the vibrato (whether it be a bigsby, the sideways, or the maestro). So, my question is this: are there any Standards in 1962-1964 that did not have one of these? If they all had them, is there a way to convert to hardtail without drilling or otherwise making irreversible mods?

I tend to like the smoother sound of HBs so I am trying to see if I can roll with a Standard or if I should just limit my search to a Special or a Junior.

1 person likes this.
  2. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I just wanted to mention that you can still find some with an 1 11/16" nut width in '65. They switched sometime during that year, so don't count out a '65 without checking first. For example, there is one at Olivia's that I was looking at several months ago. It has a factory Bigsby, though. I think a TOM on a Standard of that era is uncommon.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. jgonway

jgonway Member

Thanks for sharing that; I will add them to the list!!

4. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I've only seen one early '60s SG with a facory-installed Abr/TP. Not to say that there weren't any others. But, they were most likely special-orders

5. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

As I bought a 61-62 LP SG Standard in late '61, I have some familiarity with these. The sideways trem was standard on these guitars until (I believe) some time in 63, when it was switched for a Maestro for a number of years thereafter. Of course, as mentioned above, there could have been some custom orders without trems.

Mine has a sideways trem, which I never used because of tuning problems. But even when not used, this trem TP sucked tone. Just a few months ago, I bought a modification piece from mojoaxe for $250 or so which replaced the spring loaded "guts" of the sideways trem with solid aluminum made to fit rather exactly by 3D printing. This converted the sloppy trem into a very solid TP, and tone suck is history. Of course, the trem function no longer works -- but it never did well so no matter. And the mod is 100% reversible with a screw driver.

So buying one of these SGs with the sideways trem and doing this mod may be a close as you can come to the tone of an SG of these vintages with the tone of a sold TP.

6. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

7. goodwater

goodwater Senior Member

I had a '64 JR that didn't have any vibrato, just the wrap around.

Shoulda kept it.