In praise of cheap pedals (no, not mooer or joyo)

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by pillbug, Jun 26, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Older DOD pedals used to sell cheap, but seem to be going up in price.

2. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Love my BM!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Sold my bad monkey and miss it since. Gonna lookf or another.
    Great pedal. For my ears no need for an expensive vintage tube screamer.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

No doubt. I used snag them off Ebay for just about free... now people seem to want some bucks for them. I've always like the early two knob FX series from DOD.

Telechamp and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Well the GC where I bought the Bad Monkey happened to have a Screamin' Blues today so I picked it up for $35. My unholy trinity (of cheap but underrated pedals that sound just fine) is now complete:

6. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

Just received my chinese version Bad Monkey in time for the weekend.... for $34 incl shipping it sounds great
    2187223240685968128-account_id=1.jpg 5653166693854264637-account_id=1.jpg

Rhust, Victek and northernguitarguy like this.
  7. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Congrats! I've had mine for quite a few years and it holds its own alongside all the other OD pedals I have.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    scrumm21 likes this.
  8. LBG

LBG Senior Member

Aw dude that Chinese Bad Monkey looks so cool. Bet its a conversation piece!

I sold a 1983 TS9 with the 4558 chip everyone likes because my bad monkey was more versatile and I wasn't scared something would happen to it every day. I still have a recent Maxon OD9 if I start to miss my TS9 though

But the fact I sold a vintage TS9 due to having a Bad Monkey oughta be a BIG selling point

Speaking of Digitech. Some REAL underrated pedals from them were the "Factory" series. They had a Distortion Factory, a Chorus Factory, and Expression Factory which was shaped like a wah. They all were modeling pedals and used a chip called the DNA2 to get their sounds.

I bring these up because not many people remember them and they dont pop up on Ebay/reverb often so scoring a deal is a possibility

I own the chorus and Exp factories and technically the Distortion one because the Dist Factory is actually built in to the Exp Factory.

The Chorus factory, not much to say about it, its got 7 chorus models and they definitely conjure up what they're trying to emulate though not as lush as true analog is a heck of a nice pedal if you can find one

The Exp Factory is a forum post in itself. It has 2 wahs (a crybaby and vox model), A synth strings emulator from the Digitech Space Station (VERY fun), A Digitech Whammy (may be a cheap alternative to a real one for many), a univibe, a flanger, and a Leslie emulator. Not to mention 7 distortion models. DS1,TS9,Muff,DOD 250,RAT,Metal Zone (why?), and a cocked wah distortion (again, why?)

I'll probably never sell my Exp factory but they bring like 80 bucks last I checked. I paid $200 new for it years ago. My loss.

The real achilles heal and downfall of this pedal is the expression pedal itself is very tight and hard to rock back and forth and the rubber feet are MUCH harder and larger than a crybaby style pedal. I took one off each side and that helped a lot. AND it takes its own special power supply despite being similar to a standard 9v

9. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I have a DF-7 Distortion Factory purchased back in 2005. It was my first distortion/OD pedal ever and the intent was it would be my last because it seemed to cover so much ground. It worked for about 5 years until I caved in a bought my first analog distortion pedal. Anyway, I now have all the pedals that the DF-7 covers (except the Digitech Metal Master) and can say the emulations are very good and in most cases more tweakable than the originals (to my ear the DF-7 OD250 sounds better than the original, more transparent and not as bassy). So, although it is now old digital technology, it's still a very useful and good sounding pedal.

Always wanted the Expression Factory due to versatility and a bunch of sounds. I ended up buying an Experience Hendrix pedal and it has the same problems as describe with the Expression factory above. It's impossible to select modes using the toe down and toe up functionality and the treadle ended up crumbling from foot pressure. A great sounding pedal but mechanically poorly executed. I learnt to hate it and it totally destroyed any plans of acquiring an Expression Factory.

Anyway... back on track... I have a BM but hardly use it. Cool pedal but there are so many other ODs that currently interest me more.

10. Gem23

Gem23 Member

I love my tremolo made by UK company Boot electronics. Also the Biyang tri reverb hard to beat.

11. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

The no battery thing bugs me, otherwise I don't mind the minis. For me, power supply are more wires and things to buy. My favorite boost was an Amp50, I didn't mind an extra wire for that thing. Sounded awesome.

No battery no flattery man.

12. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

Depends how much gigging you do and the size of your pedal board obviously, but I'd sooner buy a power supply once rather than a dozen batteries every month! Sure, some will last for ages (wahs etc) but you'll be lucky to get a two hour rehearsal out of one battery in a digital delay. You have to unplug everything when you stop playing as well if you use batteries...

C_Becker and northernguitarguy like this.
  13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Plus, they're dirty to dispose of.