In praise of cheap pedals (no, not mooer or joyo)

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by pillbug, Jun 26, 2017.

1. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

My higher-end pedals are all loaned out at the moment, so I decided to pick up a $30 Bad Monkey and a $75 Zoom MS-50G and I've gotta say - just these two pedals together are giving me some seriously useable tones.

I have the Bad Monkey with Gain at about 10:00 or 40%, bass about noon and treble about 2:00 and Volume set just about unity; going into the Zoom where I use one of the gain models (Hot Box with just a *little* gain and Booster for a solo/volume boost) followed by an Analog Delay (memory man model), with a hint of early reflection reverb, and I can get some great driven blues tones ranging from John Lee Hooker to BB King to Sonny Sharrock.

Really quite pleasantly surprised. Kinda making me re-think my hundred$$$ worth of other drive pedals, for one thing :hmm:

Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

My OD search was over when I picked up a Bad Monkey. I set it close to your setting and mostly use it with a slightly overdriven Tiny Terror. Instant 'Whole Lotta Rosie' tone.

Telechamp, Rhust and pillbug like this.
  3. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Bad Monkey FTW ! I own two, really love the 2-band EQ. I like it better than all the TS pedals.

4. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

I like the Bad Monkey. I actually gave mine away to a friend when I got a couple of other Tube Screamer type pedals but it was just as good as any I have owned.

C_Becker and pillbug like this.
  5. C_Becker

l have to add, the only overdrive pedal that I like better than the Bad Monkey is the 805 overdrive, but that costs more than 4 times as much !

I rarely use the gain on OD pedals though, mostly I just use them as a boost in front of an amp.
    And / or as an EQ, which is why I love those two pedals with their 2 and 3-band EQs.
    Both are on my pedalboard, for a different flavor, the Monkey is warmer and rounder, while the 805 is more transparent and hotter.

pillbug likes this.
  6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

it's a tube screamer with independent bass and treble.. how could it POSSIBLY be bad? in fact, I'm surprised more boo-teek manufacturers haven't ripped it off a million times already... they keep rebranding and triple charging for TS808s and SD-1s... why not do the same with a bad monkey? which is an actual improvement over the TS808/TS9 design..

the monkey is great, I need to pick up another one... but I keep going back to OCD-type pedals

I had one of those Zoom pedals too... if they were a little easier to configure, I'd still have it... it sounded very nice, just not friendly to dial in, imo.

7. northernguitarguy

Yeah, the BM seems to have a 'cult' status. I'm surprised it was discontinued. Maybe it'll come back as a reissue?

pillbug and Rhust like this.
  8. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I was a little worried about that when I ordered it but actually, after glancing at the manual and playing with it for an hour, I pretty well had it figured out. It seems intuitive to me, I actually like the way it works. Although I do agree, it can be tedious to scroll through all the pedal types to find the one you're looking for.

9. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

No doubt... I really lucked out with the Bad Monkey for 30 bucks used, at the GC near me and it's in new/mint condition, absolutely perfect.

I had a TS808 reissue that was $95 used in decent shape but have since sold it (along with about a dozen other drive pedals I've gone through in the last 5 years). Something about the TS808, it was too squishy.

I also had a DS1 which is the worst pedal I've ever owned, and compared with the Bad Monkey at $30, the DS1 should cost no more than $5.00 or they should just give one away to every kid who buys a Squier.

Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  10. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Love my Bad Monkey! Thank you Phil X for introducing me to it!

11. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Lots of 80's-90's Boss, DOD, Ibanez , Yamaha pedals still out there for $75 and under. I scoop em' up if the price is nice. Last one was a 1998 Boss CE-5.... "pink label" , analog version for $45. Sounds nice on Guitar and Bass.

pillbug and northernguitarguy like this.
  12. northernguitarguy

Shameless plug.....I have an 80's Yamaha flanger in like-new condition:naughty:

13. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

FL-10MII ? This model is a pretty sweet one. I have two! One with the box. It's self oscillating ability is a nice bonus. You should keep it!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  14. marksoundguitars

marksoundguitars Chief Paint Sniffer MLP Vendor

I like the TC Electronic Spark Mini Boost.

pillbug likes this.
  15. kiko

kiko Senior Member

The cheap Ibanez TS5 sound tank, the cheap tube screamer. I still have mine that I got in the 80s.

16. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

Not got the monkey, but I have a screamin' blues which is very similar - it's apparently a blues driver with the active bass and treble circuits. Top pedal for the price and only got kicked off my board by my hardwire od and distortion boxes - now they are seriously good pedals for the money!

pillbug and C_Becker like this.
  17. northernguitarguy

I dunno what pedal Joyo ripped off, but their Ironman Raptor Flanger is an excellent unit, IMO as good as the Yamaha. Half the size as well. I love all the Ironman pedals I've tried, but that talk will stray from OP's thread intent.

Guitaraxe likes this.
  18. C_Becker

Just got the Joyo / Harley Benton JF-17 in today, which is a copy of the EHX Metal Muff.
    Not bad at all, I had a Metal Muff before, which unfortunately broke but this one comes quite close for only 30€

northernguitarguy likes this.
  19. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I'm on the lookout for a Screamin' Blues next. I saw a comparison video with it and the Bad Monkey and could hear the subtle difference, and liked the sound of both.

northernguitarguy and rjshare like this.
  20. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

yeah, i have never tried a side by side comparison but there are plenty on youtube - and as you say, there is a small difference between them. i always thought that the screamin' blues was just a touch more aggressive sounding - and i certainly found that it cut through the band mix better than any of my ts type pedals (ironic really, because that's the last thing you would expect from something called "blues"!)

probably not the best pedal you will ever own, but certainly something you can get a lot of use out of for not a lot of $$$

pillbug likes this.