Impulse responses....

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by itchybro, May 11, 2017.

1. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Are you using them? If so, in what sort of context? As a "famous space" loaded into a reverb? As a cabinet model at the end of your favorite amp model (within a DAW, modeler such as AxeFX, Kemper, Helix?) or, actual amp at the other end of a load box?

My day gig is being a composer for TV and the occasional film. As most projects I work on wind up having multiple revisions, SPEED of turnaround is a critical factor.

I've found this technology to be VERY useful. I'm REAL innarested to hear in how you folk might be applying it.

2. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Use them for cab models on the Line 6 Helix. I don't find the amp IR models to be better than the amp models already included in the kit, but the cabs are very realistic, as long as you understand that they sound the way they do EXACTLY where the mic is, and can't simulate the room you are in.

itchybro likes this.
  3. itchybro

itchybro Senior Member

Yup to the room... That's what the buss is for..

4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Part of my day job is post mixer for broadcast Television and I use impulse response all the time. I manufacture unlimited room tone (provided it's steady like HVAC) by IR analysis of small bits of audio between words in interviews. I feed pink noise into the IR reverb running that response and get unlimited amounts of room tone on tap, works perfectly. I also use AudioEase speaker phone quite a bit, I can place audio into any environment that I have an IR for as well as use their library of IRs for anything from old radios, guitar amps, the trunk of a car, a boombox down the hall with the door half open to Cellphones with poor signal and everything in between. As for music I recently used an IR (provided by McDSPs Revolver) of an acoustic guitar body to transform the quacky signal of a Martin's Piezo under saddle PU into a realistic rendering of what the guitar would sound like if miked properly. At home I still use Logic 8's space designer, very useful but a bit grainy sounding. IR is VERY useful in my line of work.

itchybro likes this.
  5. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Banned

Been using them for years as a cab in a DAW.

itchybro likes this.
  6. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

I use both cab and reverb IR's with my Helix , the reverbs i run into the Helix FX loop from my PC using Waves IR-1 or from my iPad using AltiSpace. Sometimes i run them into the fx loop of one of my tube amps. For real space accuracy they are hard to beat. I just picked up Waves H-Verb which is a hybrid algorithmic / convolution reverb with built in analog modeling, compression, dynamics, delay & modulation. It's an amazingly powerful & flexible reverb.

itchybro likes this.
  7. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I am a self diagnosed Cabinet IR junkie, I think I am up to 10,000.
    But, I can stop any time I want. I don't have a problem...:420:

itchybro and Stuff like this.