I'm retiring my Custom...at least for now.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by The_Sentry, Aug 30, 2011.

1. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I have a 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom.

To be honest about this, after all of the recent woes of Gibson, and the issue over ebony...sure...the value will skyrocket, but at the same time I think it's an even bigger magnet for theft...illegal, or legal. I'd really hate to take that guitar across state lines right now, either.

I think until this dies down, that guitar ain't leavin' the house. I don't like it...I bought the guitar to play it, not to have it as a bedroom queen...but I don't see a lot of other options.

Either way...in light of all of this recent business with Gibson...are you still dragging out your Customs, your R9's, vintage guitars, or your Pauls...or are you keeping them at home? And if you are taking them out, are you exercising any additional precautions?

2. guitarbob123

guitarbob123 Senior Member

Haha, my Custom is over here in England. If Gibson are told not to ship their guitars internationally or have to close/move then I have a Gibson with an ebony board from the last year of production.

I'm obviously going to play mine out because of the laws over here but I won't take it to America while that Lacey Act thing is still there. I'm willing to bet the border agency people will piunce on anything pretty quick.

3. Kaicho8888

Kaicho8888 Senior Member

I don't want to be paranoid. However, if you google this issue there are lots of instances where vintage instruments were confiscated due to incomplete "paper" work for ivory, endangered woods, etc. Our guitars pale in comparison to pianos, accordions, and violins!

A couple of years ago, I was going to bring my guitar to Vancouver for the week. This is just a fairly new LP. I was warned to better get some kind of paper work showing legal use of ebony. Now, WTF, I just bought the guitar and I did not make it, nor do I know where the ebony fret board came from! No correct paper work; the guitar will be confiscated.

I understand, that you and I can face loosing our guitars that we legally and in good faith bought from GC or other large retailer...unfortunately in this instance, there's a paper trail from Gibson to retailers to buyers. Buying from individuals might be harder to trace unless the Feds raid your home...not funny.

Maybe I'm getting paranoid?

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

4. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i don't see the value skyrocketing honestly.

sorry to piss in your cornflakes but...

and seeing as i'm not planing any international trips, this wouldn't effect me in any way shape or form.

much ado about nothing actually.

if there was something, there would have been charges from the last time.

yet there isn't.

the bad part is, the employees that lost a days pay. is all.

5. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

I will keep playing my Custom out of the house, though I never have it out of my sight unless it's cased and chained to the handle of my 4x12.

6. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

They'll take my Rosie (R6) out of my cold dead hands!!!!

C.Daniels likes this.
  7. Marlboro13

Marlboro13 Senior Member

Come on...:facepalm:

River likes this.
  8. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

I've heard that the Feds will eventually return the guitar to it's owner.....somewhat customized. :shock:

[​IMG]

:wtf::wtf:

your idol, nutsauce, Fracture and 2 others like this.
  9. zslane

zslane Senior Member

Awesome!

River likes this.
  10. politenessman

politenessman Senior Member

apparently i have been living in another dimension as i do not know about the issue with gibson and ebony. i binged and googled, and didnt come up with anything either. can somebody help me out?

11. Centris

Centris Member

12. River

River Senior Member

This isn't affecting anything in my life except my diet: I'm going through popcorn like there's no tomorrow.

13. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

River, I don't imagine you drag that R8 of yours out to watering holes much, do you?

EDIT: I have no intentions of dragging this out to a bar. With Gibson in the news like this, this is an easy target that I don't think will be easily replaced (especially with an ebony fretboard)

[​IMG]

I still, however, wanted a Les Paul with some bling on it...now, the only other Gibson Les Paul I own is a Studio model. I've long asserted that putting bling on these is like putting lipstick on a pig!

Well, here's a pig with some lipstick on it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt_21 and River like this.
  14. RLA

RLA Junior Member

All this crap is retarded....I can't believe it....if any of this were to ever happen you'd think they (Feds) would legislate to "Buy Back" the guitar from you at market value rather than just take it away.

15. River

River Senior Member

Well, no, I don't. You have me there.

But on my goggie's grave, its value before or after the "summer of wood" is not the reason. It has more knobs and switches than I can operate under pressure. :laugh2:

Same with my '92 Standard, which I value more highly and is probably equally tempting for a gig-attending kidnapper. My giggers are the '60 MM (w/Braz board :Ohno:) and Epi Junior. Where I go out, the latter with its Bigsby will probably attract more thieves than anything else I own. Philistines. :slash:

16. 59er

59er Senior Member

if i had one i would just keep it somewhere safe and play a diff guitar until this blows over

17. duck2k

duck2k Senior Member

No kiddin' Riv! With me, it is those Circus Peanuts! Am I one of the few that feels this is all fear mongering media ploy?

Guys - I carry a gun too. So far, no local law enforcement or fed has tailed me yet.

River likes this.
  18. Montrose

Montrose Senior Member

Your guitar will always be a target for theft, ban on ebony or no ban. Simply because of what is written on that headstock.

@scooter2112
    Hahaha I want that guitar so bad! It would be a treasured family heirloom. That way, the joke of his presidency will never be forgotten.

Olds442 and River like this.
  19. shark

shark Member

you got people in the USA starving, addicted to afghani opium now controlled by US military forces, hurricanes, floods, pestilence ,disease, global warming and the difference in making an imported piece of wood legal or illegal is nothing but a saw mark. Thats the issue "sawn", ebony is not legally exported from India. They can ship timber whole but not sawn from my own comprehension.

Had a similar problem when I wanted to buy some wood from australia thats been around in some bog for 5000 years..They had to cut it up cus they couldnt ship an unsawn timber..Do freeking what?..I could have bought a guitar body blank but I couldnt buy the piece of wood and cut my own blank. Stupid people are everywhere and they dont even know they are dumbasses. Just another typical BS by the US govt to take the real issues of this country and bastardize them with insignificant crap just like this. You think the US govt really gives a crap where the wood came from? No, all they see is GIBSON USA and dollar signs.

If the govt ran Gibson they would be buying Gibson copies from China
    If Gibson ran the Govt then we would own China

Ace1432, vulture, nutsauce and 2 others like this.
  20. jimh

jimh Senior Member

so, they will confiscate our guitars and glue them back together in the shape of trees? you'd think the government has bigger fish to fry

jim