I'm Ignorant. Is this considered an R0?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by #1MetsFan, Jan 9, 2012.

1. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Senior Member

Sorry for being stupid, but I'm curious. Is the Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul Special VOS considered an R0?

Reason I ask is because, (1) it's a Special, and (2) from what I understand, it's not really an accurate reproduction of the 1960 special to begin with.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom 1960 Les Paul Special Single VOS

2. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

Not an R0. R0's are Custom Shop Historic Reissues of a Les Paul Standard from 1960.

This guitar is a Custom Shop Reissue of a 1960 Les Paul Special.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, or one in which you say you hate Jimmy Page or Billy Gibbons, or Slash, or etc., etc.......

Crotch, RayTorvalds and Jcolmn like this.
  3. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Senior Member

Thanks. I covet this guitar, and I needed to know what to call it when I brag to people after I finally get it.

4. ctkarslake

ctkarslake Senior Member

Did Specials always have the wrap around tailpiece? I thought those were used more in the mid 50s, not so much by 1960.. Maybe this guitar is called a '60 reissue due the neck profile being thinner than what Gibson put out in the mid 50s (?). This model seems to be more of a hybrid mid 50s body with a slim taper neck.

5. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Senior Member

I have no idea. The specs say "Gibson’s traditional ’50s rounded neck profile." But I also read somewhere that Gibson didn't even offer a single cut Special in 1960 -- only the double cut. So, yeah, I don't think it's a historically accurate reissue.

6. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

Yeah, Specials always had the wraptail, from single cut to double, and through the SG era.

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

For some reason the Historic Specials are 1960 reisses whether they be single cut or double cut. The double cut has a slim taper 60s neck, the single cut has a round 50s neck. The single cut is more of a reissue of the 1954-early 1958 Special, even though they call it a 1960 RI.

The Historic Junior is divided between the 57 RI (the single cut) and a 58 RI (the double cut) however.

Yes, it SHOULD have the wraparound bridge. The TOM bridge is not hisorically correct, although a few 50s Specials had them, I would assume special order.

I have owned several of these Specials and they were all fantastic Les Pauls. They do share the serial number sequence of the 1960 Les Paul Standard Flametop RI.

8. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I have never seen one, got any pics?

9. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

I've always referred them as "R0 Specials".

I've played a few in shops and they're really great guitars,my favorite being the DC version over the SC version.

Unmodified Non-Historic Special DC version...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Sorry I do not, but there is some pics on some forum, maybe this one.

11. #1MetsFan

#1MetsFan Senior Member

Thanks for all the helpful responses. Now, I just have to get the guitar.

12. Lonnie P Junior

Lonnie P Junior Junior Member

I bought my 1960 model Les Paul Special SC Custom/Historic in 2001 from CCity Music in San Diego CA. for about $1950 plus $100 shipping to Baltimore. I had some money at the time so I decided to get a 1957 TV Junior at the same time from he same place. The Junior has been long gone due to a pawn shop error but I still have the Special. I just ordered a new wiring harness from The Tone Man and plan on taking out the Lindy Fralin bridge and putting the stock P90 back in. This has become one of my favorite guitars. My other options were Black Locking Klusons with the nice greenish knobs and a Tone Pros (also black) "tunable" wrap around bridge. I'll post pics once the old P90 and the harness are in.

13. Lonnie P Junior

Lonnie P Junior Junior Member

Yeah, I'm a newbie but why is my post irrelevant to the TOPIC of a 1960 Les Paul Special R0??? Who's to say SOMEONE on this forum may have found it interesting. No need to be abusive because it's something you don't want to look at. Thanks

14. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Enjoy your time with us, Lon.