im going to freeze my gibson tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by RedMastiff, Aug 6, 2015.

1. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

After page 7 this thread took on a serious note.... I wonder if the mods can cut the first 6 pages???
    Anyway.
    I know behlen has plasticizers in its lacquer - stringed instruments. Being in Australia we cant import Nitrocellulose lacquers as customs seize them, but you can buy Behlens product in Australia through guitaraust - google. They do sell nitro that cracks, but it seems to be the stuff that just breaks up all over the place.

If you want to risk losing the product there is a British company that will ship to Australia, I got one bottle through out of 3....
    Company Called: Rothko and Frost - UK [order the Nitrocellulose Lacquer (Clear Nitro Top Coat) - 250ml bottle, as you cant ship cans of spray poaint into Australia - they will notice :) ]
    The nitro Rothko and frost sell is really good and it will crack like a right bugger... I will post a pic tonight of a guitar headstock I did, as I wanted it aged. After it finished cracking I sprayed a nitro plasticizer product from Behlen over the top and it hasn't cracked further so seems somewhat stable...

and for the serious people:
    [​IMG]

2. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

As promised a pic of a headstock I wanted to look aged... looks ok to me.

[​IMG]

FYI - it cracks on its own - no freezing or pressure etc required at all. So I guess you could call it natural...

1 person likes this.
  3. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Now those are some good results! Looks really great. Could you elaborate on your steps a bit more or was it really as simple as spraying on the Rothko and Frost, waiting(how long?) , and then spraying the Behlen Nitro Plasticizer on? Is that what it is called, I did a web search and nothing pops up.

It looks flat from the pic to me, were you able to sand without issue?

Again great job, it looks ****. And I don't usually care for relicing.

4. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Hey - thanks for the kind words.
    It really was as easy as using the Rothko and Frost lacquer I mentioned, I didn't spray though, I used a painters brush...:shock: ...which gave it a pretty good build up, I then wet sanded it using 400 + 800 wet'n'dry. Which got it so thin that in a couple of spots I went straight through to the holly veneer... so had to do some touch ups. Once done i left it for a few weeks - played the hell out of it and had some fun, I noticed it cracked to the point it is now. So I thought I'd better wack more Nitro on it, as I assumed I'd applied it too thin, but couldnt get any more nitro from Rothko and Frost in Australia [damn customs] so I ordered some through www guitaraust dotcom.
    If you google Behlen Australia their link is one of the top 3 search results...or just go to the website and search from there. It was actually through this forums luthier section that I found their product, definitely not easy to find a nitro supplier in Australia, many claim they do but unless you buy in bulk forget it..

Not quite a thought out process really, but I found the Behlen stringed instrument lacquer does not crack - as much - and really stabilized it. Theirs is in a spray can and is quite cheap too.

Hope that helps, I haven't replicated it since, and though I do know Behlen does a formula that cracks it is meant for furniture - so I cant speak for that application.

1 person likes this.
  5. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Unfortunately, that headstock doesn't look "natural." It just looks like those "antiqued" cabinets done with fashionable HGTV-style paint products. You'll find that naturally occurring checking/lines usually happen differently along stress lines around terrain features, such as tuners, TRC screw holes, etc.

3 people like this.
  6. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

So.... do we know if it worked for the OP?

I want to know the results :laugh2:

Did he maybe start a thread on a different forum anywhere? :D

7. johnny7322

johnny7322 Senior Member

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Don't post a message and then demand that people respond in the way you want. Everyone's entitled to their preferences (though we shouldn't crap on each other). My objection to full freezing is that it can be structurally -- not just cosmetically -- bad for your instrument. It will most likely be OK, but freezing can induce drying and warping, not just checking. Other than fake-looking relic-ing, that just looks weird, I think there's a place for any kind of appearance someone likes. I'm actually more put off by people who have to have an untouchable, mint, super-antiseptic piece than someone who wants theirs to look broken in and used. Hyper-flame mania is stranger to me than antiquing.

1 person likes this.
  9. RedMastiff

RedMastiff Banned

ok im back, i was banned for several months so hadnt the chance to answer al lthe things you posted to me.
    so if you still want to say somehting to me, go on, since now i can answer
    cheers!!!

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

You've been unbanned for ages. Nice Biddlin avatar.

1 person likes this.
  11. RedMastiff

RedMastiff Banned

hmm, i cant remember how many months i were banned, i think it were 3 months so, i calculated that a bit before christmast i would be unbaned so i came here loged in today and......magic happened
    we are all biddlin

12. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is so funny, I can barely type the words.

:laugh2:

Biddlin! The big dog (as in Red Mastiff, it appears) that loves to bash MLP moderators on other forums!

So much a joke, I'm going to let it run for a little while.

:laugh2:

Oh, almost forgot:

8> /

4 people like this.
  13. LtDave32

OOPS 11!!!11!!!:wow:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Biddlin, you ol' dog.

Or Red Mastiff, how's your biddlin'?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Good riddance, you toads.

1 person likes this.
  14. 2handband

2handband Junior Member

I sincerely hope the OP is kidding. Think twice, man... you can seriously screw up your axe.

15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

There is no guitar. OP is attention starved. :)

ETA: oh, Hi. :p

1 person likes this.
  16. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Jeez that was fast:shock: what happened?

More rude PM's?

17. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I speak my mind more than I should at times, and I've never been banned. It almost has to be on purpose.

18. LtDave32

Seems two are not guilty, just one.

Sorry for the "toad" reference Biddlin (but that doesn't cancel out the bad-mouthing you've given this mod staff at other sites).

At the time, it appeared that the two of you were he.

I've got reports that Red Mastiff is stalking Biddlin, using his wife's pic as his avatar somewhere else, etc. He used Biddlin's own picture here as an avatar.

We will get to the bottom of this and take appropriate action to get this mess cleaned up.

2 people like this.
  19. etzeppy

etzeppy Senior Member

I can't believe I read most of this thread thinking I was actually going to see how the freezer experiment turned out.

2 people like this.
  20. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

this is how it turned out.
    should be a lesson in here, somewhere..:naughty:

2 people like this.