If it walks like a duck and smells like fish (scammer rant)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by WolfeMacleod, Apr 4, 2013.

1. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Man, I hate guys like this.

Over the past few months, I've had this guy calling on a regular basis, sucking up massive amounts of time just jawing away about anything, with wild tales of who he is and the people he knows. Sometimes he'll call several times in a row, if I happen to be out. I've probably got 40 hours of phone time with him since January.

I'm not one to be rude very often, so I listen and let him jabber away. He'll go on for up to two hours, no kidding. But, I think that's about to stop, given what I confirmed today after more name-bombs.
    I posted a while back, looking for people in the St. Louis, MO area who might know this guy, trying to get a feel for if he was legit or not...

I didn't think so. The stuff below is just a small part of the claims he's made.

I dislike when people make wild claims about who they are, who they've toured with, and name dropping in order to get gear. Chances are, if you drop too many names, we might actually know one of them, or be able to contact one (or more) to verify.

No, Koren Duke, you don't have a gig with Doc Severinsen on Saturday, and you don't know Doug Aldrich.:facepalm: Julliard has never heard of you, and if you toured with Eric Clapton, I'm sure there would be a record of it somewhere on Google. In fact, Google comes up with zilch about you. GIT won't confirm or deny that you were ever a teacher there, but I have a feeling you weren't.
    Invited to play on the new Star Wars films, and with Willie Nelson....? I don't think so...his Manager has never heard of you either, but we're still waiting to hear back from other band members...As well as Mark Tremonti. I hope you had a good time at his house all week last week! In Orlando... while you were at the hospital... get your stories straight...:rolleyes:

My knowledge of Munchausen Syndrome suggests you don't have Pancreatic cancer either, nor are you running a fever of 107 every time you call me.:Ohno: If it were, you should be dead. You sound awfully healthy for someone so.....sick. :squint:

I can't stand scammers.

I find myself wondering about the multitude of pieces he's played for me over the phone... too bad I'm not well versed in Jazz and Fusion stuff to recognize any of what he's played. "here, listen to this I recorded last night" Cause if they were his own pieces, that guy should be a Jazz superstar, instead of a broke dude in a bad part of St. Louis looking for a pity-handout.

Oh yeah.. Doc's manager says hello.:wave:

:lol:

Anyone heard of this guy?

3 people like this.
  2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I swear I read "Koren Duke" as "Korean Dude..."

4 people like this.
  3. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

hey, if you wanted me to stop calling you, you could have just said so!:)

5 people like this.
  4. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Sounds like less of a "scammer", and more like a "pathological liar"?

I've met/dealt with a LOT of those types over the last few years. It's almost hard not to feel sorry for them, especially since some of them are so delusional, they actually believe their own BS.

1 person likes this.
  5. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

Maybe he's delusional and actually believes some of his own stories; I've known a few people like that over the years. Why do you say he's a scammer? What has he tried to scam you out of?

1 person likes this.
  6. Slashperryburst

Slashperryburst Senior Member

I guess he's looking for some free pickups.

2 people like this.
  7. El_Greco

El_Greco Senior Member

As long as he doesn't introduce himself as duke Koren... :D

1 person likes this.
  8. Stealthtastic

Stealthtastic Senior Member

Dont you know i am eric clapton

1 person likes this.
  9. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

is this not a good time to mention that i'm abraham lincoln and i need some new pickups pretty bad?

4 people like this.
  10. Tuesday'sGone

Tuesday'sGone Senior Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

You can find out a lot about anyone with a phone number on Spokeo...

12. TOMMYTHUNDERS

TOMMYTHUNDERS Senior Member

four score and 7 minutes ago i was playing one of my guitars and it kinda lacked the bite i'm looking for. that said, i'm not gonna give it the wilkes-booth treatment without trying some new pickups first. i'd like to emancipate some pickups from you... what do you say?

5 people like this.
  13. Tuesday'sGone

Tuesday'sGone Senior Member

Almost perfect. :applause: Should have finished with....what say you?? :hmm:

2 people like this.
  14. Malikon

Malikon dis_function(); V.I.P. Member

Hey Wolf man, sorry to bother you. I was just chatting on the phone with my buds Yngwie and Al Dimeola, (chatting about our super model girlfriends and Ferrari collections. You know how rock stars do...)

But I got to thinking about your pups and mentioned it to them and there were really interested.

Told 'em I'd call you and have you send us 3 sets to try out, for free of course, because we're rich rock stars-we don't pay for stuff. Once you're rich you get stuff for free,..it's pretty awesome.

Anyway good talking with you. Have to go, my selective breeder is here to help me run the horse farm. ... Oh yeah,...just bought a Stallion farm,...because I'm bored and awesome.

Oop, gotta go. Doc Severinsen is on the other line.

Later Wolf!

...call ya back in a few minutes.

2 people like this.
  15. kidmo

kidmo Senior Member

Check with Kelton Swade, if he doesn't know him, he ain't shit!

2 people like this.
  16. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

The vampire hunter??? :wow:

1 person likes this.
  17. Thundergod

Thundergod Senior Member

Why do people do stuff like that? It's pretty well known that you can get info of anyone now, so why lie that way?

Weird.

I knew a couple of guys like that, in high school! One would claim he was the real owner of KITT.

1 person likes this.
  18. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

Pathological vs compulsive liar definition, is that the pathological liar seeks gain of some sort and lies to manipulate.The compulsive liar just can't help themselves.
    Call him out on some of his "contacts". Tell him that you are really impressed by his network and circle of friends, and that some intros would really help you out. I have done this with a few name droppers and sometimes things do pan out, but mainly the idea is to shut them up :)

19. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Senior Member

what was he scamming?

He's just another internet douche bag pretending to be someone they're not...

1 person likes this.
  20. battra

battra Senior Member

What part of St. Louis did he say he was from?

I just wanna make sure my hometown isn't being improperly defiled!!

(Please note: IMPROPERLY. Please NOTE THIS TOO: That scene in "Vacation" was not St. Louis, but East St. Louis in Illinois. St. Louis Proper is different.)