ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. KP

KP Senior Member

Everyone keeps coming out here with the expensive weaponry. The CZ is a remarkable weapon that will not cost an arm and a leg to buy. It is highly accurate and highly reliable. What more does one need?

2. ZoomZilla

ZoomZilla V.I.P. Member

For home defense, a shotgun is the way to go. But if you want a pistol, accept no substitutes.

[​IMG]

3. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

At my local shop, they're more expensive than Glocks. A CZ75 is $588. A Glock 22 is $505.

4. Bear

Bear Senior Member

If it is strictly home defense, a shotgun with birdshot is without a doubt the best way to go. You don't have to worry about shooting through another wall and hurting some one you don't want to. If that is not an issue, I recommend the H&K USP Compact in 45acp. Even though it is a high caliper, you still have 8 shots, and that thing will give you all the stopping power you need. A bit pricey, but well worth it if you want a gun that will perform every time you need it to!

5. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Member

go to a indoor gun range if you have one close to home. i went to champion indoor gun range and store. like people said its all about the comfort of holding a particular gun.

go to the store and handle guns and fire the ones your interested in. all are relatively as accurate as the other. find one with sights that you can see down well.

i shot a XDM 40 and loved it, great sights and felt great holding it
    i also shot a springfield 1911 government which was really cool but couldnt see down the sights for crap.
    shot a glock 17 and 23. i liked glocks but they dont feel right in my hand

i recommend the XDM 40 or XD 45. also any H&K hand gun you will be happy with

6. LizardKing

LizardKing Senior Member

Just mount this somewhere nice.
    I would be dettered if i walked in an saw that bolted to the kitchen table.

[​IMG]

7. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

It's been suggested before, and as much of a militant gun nut as I am, I good dog is STILL the tops when it comes to home invasion prevention.

That being said, the 2nd Amendment is still the shit.

JMV likes this.
  8. tele52

tele52 Senior Member

+1, The sound of jacking one into the chamber is very powerful.

Caleb and JMV like this.
  9. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

Will this do?

[​IMG]

Seriously though, any well made pistol by a quality manufacturer (SIG, H&K, Springfield, Glock, S&W, CZ, etc.) will serve you well. It's just a matter of your own personal preference and you won't know about that until you pick it up (it really is just like finding the right guitar). Just stay away from cheap junk.

Benjammin likes this.
  10. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

i would have to say, people should F'k with MLP members

JMV likes this.
  11. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

Now they have the Raging Judge Magnum, that will hold
    .454 Casull rounds!!

12. doitforvangogh

doitforvangogh Senior Member

That is rare then. I have never encountered a commercial gun being sent to or used by the Military.

13. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

It used to be fairly common, before guns became sensitive items in the 60's. The majority of guns were government contract items, but at the time there was no reason a unit's supply officer couldn't order a gun from the manufacturer just as he would order any other item like a typewriter or a piece of furniture. Ordering a set of guns like these for the unit's officers would not be unusual at all. Guns just weren't thought of the same way as they are today, even an ordinary person could buy a pistol through the mail direct from the manufacturer before 1968. An ordinary person could buy a machinegun direct from the manufacturer by mail before 1934. At the time, buying an officer a special pistol would have been no different than buying him a personalized pen. Also, the current idea of "fraud, waste, and abuse" was unheard of. These sort of perks were expected.

14. KP

KP Senior Member

I am surprised. I bought mine in 1998 for $335 brand new.

15. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

What's even cooler is that Colt emailed me a PDF of the purchase order. The pistols were ordered through a dealer in Seattle which makes sense if they were being shipped to China.

16. dougk

dougk Senior Member

JM: I have nearly 20K rounds through my USP45f (~200 rounds a week for 3 years) and other than completely wearing the magazines out it still shoots the same groups it did when new. Fantastic gun...

BUT.... I'd still highly suggest a SW or Ruger revolver. Honestly the best advice really is to just go handle everything and shoot everything you can before deciding. Find whats most comfortable for your wife.

In the long run, a gun your wife won't use out of fear or being uncomfortable with is nothing more than an expensive paper weight.

JMV likes this.
  17. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

People have probably been spreading the word on these guns and they probably saw the opportunity for a price increase. If I could find one in the $300-400 range, I'd be all over one.

18. Dan

Dan Senior Member

They have grown a bunch over the past few years and people know how good they are. The customer is always the victim of a company's success :laugh2:

19. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Plus the exchange rate was A LOT better in the late 90's than it is now.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Member

All this talk about bullets going through walls.. I thought you could buy rounds now that fragment on impact with something fairly solid?

Don't mind me, just one of those "not allowed to own a gun" British people that really wants to own a gun. :D

(Well I have a couple shotguns.)