ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

I love the 1911, we carried them when i was in the
    Navy, Ruger 9MMs when i was in the Army

2. Orion8251

Orion8251 Senior Member

Absolutely something you have to consider in good 'ol America. I live in an area (not for long!) close to the US/Mexico border and, sadly, home invasions are an everyday event here. Fortunately, I have never had someone try to enter my home and I hope it stays that way, but I am prepared if it were to happen.

When I was a young kid (7 or 8 years old) growing up in Oklahoma, we had someone try to break into our house one night and my dad met him at the door with a revolver and fired one round through the deck between his feet. The guy let out a yelp and nearly broke his neck diving off our porch to get away. He never returned.

3. nick1962

nick1962 Senior Member

Get you lot!

4. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

if you dont have one already, get a 1911. they are by far the most enjoyable handgun to shoot. the long barrel and all steel design makes recoil seem minimal and the gun is damn accurate too.

if the 1911 isn't an option, but you want a semi, then get a Glock. Period.

5. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

In that case, I suggest the Walther P99.
    9mm, light weight and pretty compact...your wife should be able to handle that one, too.

[​IMG]

It also comes with three different backstraps, to accommodate for different hand sizes.

[​IMG]

6. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

I've been lusting after the Taurus Judge Public Defender. Unfortunatley we can't buy them in CA.
    [​IMG]

I keep an Ithaca Model 37 under my side of the bed and the wife has a Ruger .357 Revolver under her side. She also has a Ruger .22 for target shooting. I have a pistol grip for the 12 gauge.

7. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

I've got two pit bulls, and I've never had a problem. But I believe in always being prepared.

I was actually at a friend's house having a small get together and some psycho came in through a window while we were in the other room. This was in an upscale neighborhood (Menlo Park, CA.) He stole all the ladies' purses right from under our noses.

Plus, we go out to the woods and desert dirtbiking and sleep in our toy hauler (Travel Trailer) I'm always prepared.

Desperate drug addicts are extremely bold.

8. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled

I've posted this before, but this is a Colt 1911-A1 that was given to my dad when he became a squadron CO in the Navy. My dad gave it to me a few years ago. I did some research, and it was manufactured in 1924, the first year of the Colt A1 design modifications. It has fewer than 300 rounds through it. I shoot it once or twice a year. It is in PERFECT condition.

[​IMG]

9. Chupy

Chupy Senior Member

I prefer a P345 Ruger for taking care of thugs.
    [​IMG]

Also 2 Remington 11-87 12 gauges, (Now the Ruger's) a .45 Vaquero, .45 Blackhawk, .44 magnum Super Blackhawk. Also have some antique rifles and shot guns in my safe. Some guns dating back to the cilvil war.

One of these days i'll buy a Smith and Wesson model 29 .44 magnum. Probably have to do some trading, those things aint cheap.
    Product: Model 29 - S&W Classics - 6 1/2" - Blue or Nickel

10. KP

KP Senior Member

Here is some info

Modern Firearms - CZ 75 pistol

JMV likes this.
  11. McLovin

McLovin Senior Member

This mistake could put you in jail for a very long time. Please don't assume anything when it comes to firearms. With a gun, once that bullet leaves the barrel it can never be taken back.
    I have a friend who on an extremely drunken night, wound up banging the crap out of his neighbors backyard sliding glass door thinking he was at his home but someone had locked him out. Well, the owner didn't ask questions like some of us might and shot him with a 1911 in the stomach. Thank god he survived but the shooter was in deep shit legally and emotionally. Now, my friend was a dumb shit but the shooter was devastated that he shot is neighbor. My point is, mistakes can happen and don't assume anything. Take some courses and learn the gun laws in your state. Even if the laws are on the side of the homeowner, if you say the wrong thing after an incredibly scary situation, you could either be prosecuted or sued or both.
    Owning a firearm is a huge resposibility not to be taken lightly. Don't just toss it in some drawer near your bed or you may wake up with your own gun pointed at your face. Keep it locked up and secure so that no one can get to it except you or your wife.
    I have another friend whose 12yr old and some neighbor kids found his loaded .357 and took it down to the park to show it off. Well, the police where called and you can imagine what went down after that. Luckily, no one was hurt but never saw that .357 again.
    Anyway, sorry for the rant. I live in California so I am a bit paranoid when it comes to guns and damn sure want to be able to keep them. Every time a gun accident happens or some wack job shoots innocent people, the antigun groups come looking to take away your right to bear arms. We need to be extra carefull not to let accidents happen.
    Good luck and stay safe and join the NRA. :)
    p.s. And why would you buy a Glock when you can get an HK?:naughty:
    [​IMG]:shock::thumb:

JMV likes this.
  12. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Maybe $300 :laugh2:

13. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Yep, I fully intend to use a firearm as a last resort. I am incredibly firm when it comes to gun safety in my home and it will reside (loaded) in a locked safe beside my bed bolted to my nightstand. I don't take that lightly at all.

The more I think about it, I honestly don't believe I would go guns blazing and shoot a person in my home. Most likely warning shots. There was a big deal in the news somewhat recently about a local guy that shit and killed two intruders that had broken into his neighbor's home. The big deal was that it wasn't his property and that he shot them as they were retreating. He was on the phone with 911 at the time and ignored the operator's instructions to put down his gun. BIG mistake.

I'm far from THAT guy, but I will protect my family. I don't even care if all of my possessions are taken as long as I can keep my wife and son safe.

And I'm looming into the HK and the Glocks. Both seem like great options - the HK with a couple of unique safety features and the Glock having no frills utility and ease of use in the heat of the moment. A lot will be determined when my wife handles some of these guns for sure.

Oh, and I plan to get my CHL, not necessarily to carry but for the sake of taking the classes. More education regarding firearms never hurts.

14. doitforvangogh

doitforvangogh Senior Member

At what point was it chromed and engraved?

15. McLovin

McLovin Senior Member

you should get one of these:[​IMG]
    to go with this:[​IMG]
    just kidding, that 1911 is beautiful.:thumb:

16. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled

Colt Manufacturing told me that a shipment of 35 1911-A1s (including this one), were shipped to US Army officers stationed in China in 1925. Being officer issue, they were chromed when manufactured. A US officer apparently got it engraved in China. As you can see, the engraving is crude, but indigenous to China at that time. This pistol somehow remained in the military, handed down throughout the various services. My dad said his squadron XO got it from the air station Marine Corp quartermaster in San Diego. Dad carried it in Viet Nam in '68.

17. McLovin

McLovin Senior Member

Good to hear. Dont forget to check out a Sig 226 or 220 (if you want 45acp).
    They have great ergonomics and no external safety ala Glock but have a decocker.
    Navy Seals can't be wrong, right?:thumb:

18. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

because HKs are ridiculously overpriced and no more reliable. and don't forget HK's anti-civilian policies. :thumb:

19. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I like my P220, but it's probably too frisky for an average lady. The slide is also way too stiff for most ladies to pull back.

20. LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK Senior Member