ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

What he said ..

being a black powder shooter I'd say that BP has very little of what would be decribed as kick. I can load 120grs as a maximum in my .50 caliber rifle with very little if any real precieved recoil.
    The thing to remember here concerning BP cartridges is they are loaded by volume,
    NOT by weighed charges as in modern smokless powder cartridges.
    The other thing to remember is that BP is not as picky about charge weights. Wether you load 20grs, or 30grs of black powder in your smoke pole there will not be a huge noticeable difference in performance, or precieved recoil. But would be with modern smokeless propellents.

ehb likes this.
  2. CRobbins

CRobbins Premium Member

Elmer Keith is my hero. My favorite handgun when hunting is my Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magmum.
    One of my favorite books.

[​IMG]

Who, Frogfur and ehb like this.
  3. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Got the hardback around here somewhere...

Who, Frogfur and CRobbins like this.
  4. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

When does this thread suddenly "disappear", and show up in our subscription list under the name "Ideal rate of twist"? :hmm: :D

mtgguitar and Frogfur like this.
  5. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing lol. Lots of good info here though so I think it would be a good addition there, also might get some new blood in the thread, which is always nice. The more the merrier.

6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I don't know why they don't move it over to the gun thread. They probably will if it keeps up.

7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

It is a real firing licensed Beretta... It is manufactured by military in Egypt. BTW, will it need any maintenance before I try firing it? It has been sitting in its box in closet for 6 years !
    Helwan.jpeg

8. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Take this stuff over to the gun thread where it belongs. And yes, it will require some cleaning before firing.

9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

This is what its really like to shoot the .577 Nitro Express.

Now you know. Notice the good, and not so good stance.
    * note: they missed the cow way off .
    Looks like they better adjust a little windage and elevation.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    ehb likes this.
  10. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

In the bathroom.

ehb likes this.
  12. mtgguitar

mtgguitar Silver Supporter

Here is how I asked the mods to merge the threads: I 'reported' one of the posts, in the 'reason' box I asked politely for it.

Who likes this.
  13. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

14. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

AXE and Who like this.
  15. AXE

AXE Six String Soldier V.I.P. Member

Colt Army .45 for Sunday...lolz

16. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Sunday is a day of rest.

Bench rest. ;)
    [​IMG]

AXE, cooljuk, Frogfur and 3 others like this.
  17. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥

Boss drives his newest model white Corvette with custom black rear every day, reminding the help that he's "the boss". He does this in hopes to inspire his sales people to "reach for the stars... if you work hard, you too can have this". But the sales people don't see it that way, they see it an insult because most of them are just struggling to meet quota and not get fired.

I love to look at Corvettes. But I wouldn't want to be given one for free, nor any other vehicle I couldn't afford to maintain. But to each his own. Can't say as I knock anyone who has one.

18. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Wut?

Frogfur, Roberteaux and Who like this.
  19. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Sooo...

I went up to Nashville last week for some quality family time with the folks. Mom just had a minor surgery and I hadn't been up since christmas, so it was nice to see the folks and help out with some of their chores and all. Between fixing the clogged dishwasher, a bit of light mowing and such I had time to hit the range with dad and get a little trigger time in too.

Wow, it had been awhile since I shot at a real target and not just random stuff like cans or what all. I stunk up the joint lol :D . I shot to the left consistently with everything (all pistols for this trip) except my full size M&P and my groups were way too open even at <10yards. I need to make a more focused effort to get more shooting in and actually work on fundamentals again.

To be fair the others I shot were mostly new to me including a rental gun, which was pretty cool, the M&P shield EZ. .380 with a very easy to manipulate slide, grip safety and even a loading lever built into the magazines like you would find on a ruger MK series rimfire. For those with arthritis or other issues making traditional auto loading pistols less than viable, this was a great option that I'm happy to see become available.

Use it or loose it, at least in my case anyway.

One cool thing though, while we were there someone bought an integrally suppressed pistol, one of these https://silencerco.com/maxim/# and was plugging away a few booths down. I didn't think much of the lack of volume, figuring he was shooting rimfire or something until dad pointed out the obvious to me. We chatted the dude up on the way out about his new purchase and he was very pleased over all and offered to let us have a go at it, but we were on the way out and had already packed up our ammo, plus dad wasn't feeling great so we declined.

A few things I noted though;

A. Silencerco seems to have done a great job on this one, very quiet. Dude said the trigger was spongy, though.

B. Apparently someone is already making IWB holsters for these things. Lol. Dude has an 8-10 month waiting period before he can take it home, but it sounds like he has the holster already.

C. The sight radius on the sucker is l-o-o-o-o-n-g. It's like 1/2 a rifle.

Overall a good trip, I need to make shooting a regular part of my life again instead of just talking guns here. I used to have a membership at a club in TN and would go sometimes twice a week and never less than 4+ times a month. I still wasn't very good, but man I have fun out there.

20. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Just bought an unfired Colt Cobra yesterday. Perfect condition. I already have a Trooper but wanted a .38 snub nose.
    Nice little revolver.

Who, Hairless_Ape, cooljuk and 2 others like this.