ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

+1

Choice of a handgun is just as individual as choice of a guitar.

My home-defense gun:

[​IMG]

I like .45 ACP. Stopping power is great and 230gr is subsonic. A flashlight mounted on the pistol is a big plus for a home defense gun (as long as you're sticking a flashlight on, you might as well get one with a laser). If you ever fire a pistol in an enclosed area, you'll appreciate a suppressor. You don't want hearing damage just because some jackass broke into your house. Tritium sights are also a plus.

2. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

^^ Wow, that is sweet! :shock:

3. MineGoesTo11

MineGoesTo11 Senior Member

Who are you, Sam Fisher?

4. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

Get a Raging Bull:

[​IMG]

5. JMV

JMV Senior Member

All great advice! Well, I'm not sure about the Raging Bull... :laugh2:

I've been shooting since I was about 12. For reference, the guns I'm most experienced with:

- Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum with 4" barrel (consistently my favorite handgun to shoot)
    - Smith and Wesson 357 Snub Nose
    - Beretta 92FS 9mm
    -.380 Bersa Cool gun and handy to shoot, but I'd prefer more knockdown power.
    - Glock 9mm (unsure of specific model #)
    - Raven 32 Auto - POS
    - Ruger .22 revolver
    - Mossberg 12 gauge
    - Mauser 30-06

I may end up going the revolver route, but I certainly don't need the power of a 357. I absolutely love the feel of the Beretta, but I feel as though I need to completely change how I shoot in order to be accurate with it.

6. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

How about an LAR Grizzly instead?

[​IMG]

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

If you've got experience with and are comfortable with a S&W 4", then that would be a fine home defense choice. .357 is a fine defense round and when it comes time to defend yourself, that's no time to debate whether or not you've brought enough gun to the fight. To quote Robert Ruark, "use enough gun." If you don't feel comfortable with .357, you can shoot .38 special rounds in the same revolver instead. The lower powered ammo combined with the larger frame and barrel of the full-sized S&W frame would make an excellent shooter for both you and your wife.

JMV likes this.
  8. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

Both are great quality handguns.
    My Sig 226 stays with me at all times while up on the mainland. Loaded with,
    1. 1 round of FMJ (in the pipe) A hollow point won't penetrate auto glass.
    2. 2 rounds of Fed. Hydroshock
    3. 10 rounds of BLK Talon
    4. 2 rounds of tracer
    5. last round a BLK Talon

One in the pipe, and a full mag.

Second mag loaded the same, only 1 tracer before lst rnd=15 rnds. Loaded properly and knowing how to use it can make a 9mm a really devastating weapon.
    I love my Colt Commander, I trust my Sig.:thumb:

JMV likes this.
  9. JMV

JMV Senior Member

That's true. I do enjoy shooting the .38 specials. Shooting .357s from that snub nose is pretty gnarly. I do need a gun that both she and I can comfortably shoot, and she has small hands. We'll go together to check out guns together.

She has also grown up around guns and her dad shoots competitively as a hobby.

I appreciate all the suggestions. That's what I was hoping to get out of this thread. What things you guys look for in a gun or what things you can't stand.

10. #1guitarman

:thumb::applause::thumb:
    Without a doubt, this post has to be made "Post of the Year".
    NEVER, has a post made more sense.
    Again...:thumb::applause::thumb:
    My hats off to ya!

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Glad we could help. It's good to see you include your wife in the decision-making process. I can't tell you how many times I sold someone a "home defense" pistol that was a full-size .45 and the wife was a 90 pound twig who couldn't even hold the damn thing up.

Considering you're picking out something for you and the wife, I would definitely consider a .357 or .38 revolver with at least 2" of barrel. A true snubby can be very inaccurate, especially when in duress.

Also take a look at a Glock 19. That's the mid-size compact 9mm. Folks always want to get their wife the smallest automatic they can (like a PPK), but the reality is those pistols' slides are so much harder to pull back. Withe the Glock 19, it is easy to operate for a lady. My wife, who is all of 5'2", qualified for her concealed weapons permit with a score of 98 with a Glock 19.

But again, revolver or Glock 19 are both spouse-friendly choices.

JMV likes this.
  12. moochycapoochy

moochycapoochy Member

I have a Colt Defender 90. I love it for concealed carry.

For home defense I would not use a hand gun. I would own a 12 gauge shotgun with the 18" barrel and pistol grip (basic SWAT configuration). I promise you this is much, much more safe for you, your family and any other people in your home that you care about when you have to use it.

13. JMV

JMV Senior Member

That's quite an offer! One of the models I'm strongly considering is a Glock G22. :hmm:

14. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

SIG P-226. 9mm is just fine.:thumb:

BTW, whatever you decide to get, be sure to practice at the range. Then when you get home, tear it down and clean it. You will learn how it's put together and functions. SIGs are simple mechanically, and extremely reliable.

15. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

My humble suggestion, get a P1976 Colt S/A revolver, 44-40 Winchester with a 7 1/2 barrel. Not only gorgeous to look at, but simple, easy to maintain, and powerful enough to punch a whole in that bad guy so wide your entire city will see what he had for breakfast!

[​IMG]

16. KP

KP Senior Member

Why spend so much money for the brand name?

CZ makes great weapons. I prefer 9 mm HP hollow points in the home magazine. YOu can go to the .40 but it will cost a lot more for ammo.

[​IMG]

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 B

17. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

If I was looking for a home defense weapon that my wife would be using too...I'd look at a shotgun first. A short barreled (20") Remington pump...maybe in a .20 gauge, loaded with birdshot. Or I'd be looking at a revolver. My wife can shoot my S&W .38 without any problems, but she has a hard time gripping and cocking the automatics. Simple is better, a revolver has less to go wrong and less to operate...it's point and shoot.

I have a Kimber .45 and a Beretta 8045 in .45 and I'm proficient with both, but the recoil isn't as easy to handle for someone with small hands and who doesn't practice regularly.

18. albion59

albion59 Senior Member

I'd go for a Glock 21 or 22. Both ultra reliable and easy to use.

19. Duane24

Duane24 Senior Member

better live in a state with castle laws before even considering this as a likely option for home defense, or else you're just creating a lawsuit waiting to happen, only a few states have these laws.

20. #1guitarman

Missa Charlie sez if you get in my mix @ the WinnDixie, I can pop a cap in yo ass....I LOVE FLORIDA!!!
    "Intimate Domain" starts where you start to feel "uncomfortable for your saftey or the safety of your family", BUT, ya better have a concelled carry permit fo' dat Gat...($175.00, issued by the state) elsewise yo' is headin' fo' trouble!!