ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Glock all the way. Relatively inexpensive, simple, durable, low maintenance. You cant lose.

Benjammin, Gtarzan81 and JMV like this.
  2. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Solid walls are better, but most places don't have that.

I still agree that the shotty is the best choice for HD though unless it is tight/close quarters.

3. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I'd go with birdshot actually rather than buck.

Roberteaux likes this.
  4. doitforvangogh

doitforvangogh Senior Member

The shot won't ricochet. And you should use Remington "Tac-9" buckshot anyway. Works every time and it's 'low recoil'.

You can have the barrel shortened to 18.5" inches or buy a shorter barrel for that shotgun and be in business.

I hate Glocks too. I sell a gazillion of them though so I do like them in that aspect.

5. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Yeah, I live in a one story house with all three bedrooms right next to each other. Our walls are just drywall, studs, and insulation. The hallway is just wide enough to walk through as well, so I think for my application a shotgun is out.

The rest of the house is nice and wide open, though.

6. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Yeah, that's true. I'd also be slightly concerned just about the spread especially with a fairly short shotgun. One of the areas I would most likely confront an intruder would have me pointed right at my son's room. :shock:

The Glocks I've handled just felt like plastic toys, but I'm sure they have models I would prefer.

7. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

Something that comes to mind is The Judge, made by Taurus. It's a .45 Colt/.410 revolver. Have you ever seen the spread of .410 buckshot coming out of a short barrel? At 7 yards you can hit someone in the neck, belly, and groin in one shot.

8. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

9. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

It's because they're made out of plastic :laugh2:

If you want a heavy, metal pistol, there's always the Beretta 96A1 or 90-TWO. They both shoot .40 S&W.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Everyone is gonna throw their two cents in here, but if you want a home defense handgun and you're not a huge firearms enthusiast, go for a Glock G22, which is a full-size .40 S&W. Also, the current production models come with a built in accessory rail on the underside of the weapon. Get yourself a weapon light like a Streamlight TLR-1 or a Surefire weapons light. For home defense, it can't be beat.

You might feel that a Glock feels like a plastic toy, but it is not. It's one of the most reliable and simple combat handguns ever designed. It was designed to work even when you're too scared to work. With proper training, it can be an extremely effective home defense piece.

Beyond that, I would highly recommend you go to a gun store and look at what's affordable and comfortable for you. Handgun choice can be very personal depending on your likes and dislikes. Some folks don't like an external thumb safety, others won't buy a gun without one. You'll also hear folks repeating what others say without any real knowledge of what they're talking about. That's why it's your responsibility to look at a variety of pistols. I'm not going to say here how many firearms I own, but I can assure you that I own and/or have shot pretty much every pistol design out there. There is no one that I could call perfect for every person.

Deftone and JMV like this.
  11. Micky

Micky Senior Member

+1 for the Sig 226

12. FrankieOliver

FrankieOliver Senior Member

A sweet little Walthers PPK isn't a bad pistol to keep close at hand. The Beretta, too. :thumb:

13. mudfinger

mudfinger Thanks for the memories. V.I.P. Member

Home defense? Shotgun. Hands down, no contest, yadda yadda.

Personal defense? .45 auto in whatever length suits you. It has the right amount of kinetic energy.

14. -=[Shifty]=-

-=[Shifty]=- Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

H&K USP .45

[​IMG]

or

Colt 1911

[​IMG]

or maybe a

Glock 21

[​IMG]

15. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

My weapons of choice:

Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 12 ga. with 20" slug barrel and 00 buckshot for home defense

Taurus PT-111 9mm for concealed carry

16. TVR1977

TVR1977 Senior Member

If you're not an experienced shooter, I always recommend revolvers. They have no complications to worry about (safeties, slides to rack, jams, feed problems, etc.).

The downside is they have to be well and truly childproofed.

Capacity is not an issue, in practical terms. It's for defense - you're not likely to get into a drawn out gun battle.

If you have to have capacity, get a glock 17, 9mm. Like the revolver, there are no safeties to worry about, and they're pretty much revolver-like in their reliability. 9mm will still get the job done and it's easy to shoot.

Remember, it may be a novice (wife, adult kids, etc.) who has to arm themselves with this gun. Big cannons with huge grips and heavy recoil won't work for your 5'3" wife or your teenaged daughter.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT THING:
    Gun choice is not as important as a good strategy and the proper mind-set.

SOME TIPS FOR GOOD STRATEGY:

1) Get a dog. A high-tech alarm system is only good if you use it. A dog is 24/7.

2) Keep your cell phone and a good flashlight in your bedroom.

3) Get a strong door and a good lock for your bedroom. Make a plan for the family to "retreat" there.

4) Lock the door and call the cops. Stay on the line with 911 until help arrives.

5) Yell out into the hall loudly that you are armed and the police are on their way, and lock the door.

6) Get your family away from the door and any line of fire from the door.

7) Get behind something heavy and establish a line of fire to the door in case they try to break in.

HERE ARE SOME TIPS FOR GETTING THE PROPER MIND-SET:

1) Do not "go looking for trouble" and try to clear the house or engage the intruders. The cops can clear the house when they get there.

2) Your only reason to foray out of your "safe room" is to go just as far as your kids rooms, where you can get them and take them back to safety. Gun in hand, but pointed at the floor or the ceiling, finger OFF the trigger (remember the next person you see will likely be a frightened family member)

3) If it's dark and you don't know where the bad guys are, you can walk into an ambush.

4) If you don't know where your family members are, you can end up shooting them.

5) If you're wandering around with a gun when the cops arrive, they might shoot you.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL:

6) You are NOT Dirty Harry, or Bruce Willis, or Chuck Norris, etc. You are just an ordinary schmuck who's very scared and likely to do something dumb.

7) The EXACT same thing can be said of the intruder. Professional Ninjas aren't after you - dopey teens or crackheads are more likely, and their gun hands and trigger fingers are shaking just like yours. Stay out of each others way!

8) The crap you see in the movies is just that - crap. Keep a cool head, and play it safe.

SFK and JMV like this.
  17. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

I like Glock, but what wins me over to Sig is, Sigs have the decocker. $200 more but well worth it. Now this is true with the models I've looked at, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

18. Trea

Trea Senior Member

Being that you and I are local to each other if you are wanting to try out a Glock .40 cal I wouldn't mind meeting you at a range so you could get a feel of one before you buy something. Mine is the model 22c.

19. MineGoesTo11

MineGoesTo11 Senior Member

Just cover your windows and doors with metal bars/screens and at night, electrify them :thumb:

20. Orion8251

Orion8251 Senior Member

Speak for yourself. I am QUITE certain that there are, in fact, several professional ninjas looking for me. :laugh2:

No, in all honesty, good post....solid, common sense advice.