ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

I can only recall seeing one Star pistol in person. I didn't know anything about the history of the Star handguns, but recall that the one I saw looked quite a lot like a 1911, but was chambered in 9mm Largo. That's the first and only time I saw a Star handgun-- and the only time I ever ran across anything at all that was chambered in 9mm Largo.

In fact, I'd never heard of the cartridge before and was told by the guy who owned it that he had a devil of a time finding factory loadings for that pistol. He said he almost never shot it because of this. But he had it as a sort of collector's item and wasn't too upset by this.

As for your posts: so far, they've been great! :thumb:

You can break 'em down some, if you want to stretch it all out... but I've enjoyed seeing your collection all along.

--R :thumb:

BlankinLoud likes this.
  2. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I've see a couple of Stars over the years... Not many out there around here...

Seen more Tokies than Stars in my area...

BlankinLoud and Roberteaux like this.
  3. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Yes, I've seen some of the Tokarev pistols, and a smaller number of Radoms over the years-- but just that one Star.

I've only seen one Llama pistol over the years, too. I thought they were made somewhere in South America, but just a couple of minutes ago went to check that and found out that like the Star handguns, the Llamas were actually made in Spain-- and in the same part of Spain where the Star pistols were made, too.

That Llama was chambered for .38 Super, and I first learned olf the existence of that cartridge as a result of seeing the Llama. I looked at the ballistics and was pretty impressed. That .38 Super comes close to the muzzle energy and velocity of a .357 Magnum, which I found surprising when I first heard of it.

A couple of years later, I got to talking with one of the investigators with the sheriff's department who carried a genuine Colt 1911 chambered in .38 Super. He really loved that setup and had been carrying it for years before I met him. Most of the other C.I.D. guys were carrying things like S&W 39's, 59's, Browning Hi-Powers... and then there were a bunch of others who carried J-frame S&W's of various types, but this one dude kept on with that .38 Super until he retired.

Every now and then, I get to thinking of picking up an RIA 1911 in .38 Super... there's just something very cool about that cartridge. But right now I'm up to my ass in alligators messing with that .300 BLK and my .270 Winchester rifles... and both projects look as though they'll be consuming most of my time and effort for the foreseeable future.

--R

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    BlankinLoud and ehb like this.
  4. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

A bud has a Colt Match Bulls Eye 1911 in .38 Super...

Beyond nice....

BlankinLoud and Roberteaux like this.
  5. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

Shotguns???

Oh yeah! I remember carrying them at work before our chief declared them useless and banned them.

I encounter Llamas at work with some regularity. The very first one I ever saw was in a Super 8 Motel room. It was a 1911 style .380 which an old Army vet used to spatter his brains on the wall.

Everybody should own a .38 Super. Outside of the .41 Mag it is probably my all time favorite handgun cartridge. It is the most forgiving cartridge when it comes to handloading. I've yet to load a combo that isn't insanely accurate. I've owned a variety of them, and I still have this Sig P220-1.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

Roberteaux likes this.
  7. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

What dat?

[​IMG]

Roberteaux likes this.
  8. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

I am not familiar with the above ammo, but the similar ammo developed for the Judge .410 performed wonderfully at my range.

Bigfoot410 likes this.
  9. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

First thing that popped in my head...

[​IMG]

10. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Yes.

The M stands for "mediano", which is a Spanish word that translates to "medium".

Star Model B pistols that featured a shorter barrel were designated as Star Model BM, or "B Medium", to separate them from the full-sized Model B also produced by the company. It's sort of the same as Colt referring to their shortened M1911 as a "Commander".

Apparently the Spanish weren't thinking of some of the other things that might be referred to as a "BM" by English-speaking people when they gave a name to that model of handgun... :laugh2:

No clue. :dunno:

--R

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  11. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Dat bees a Lehigh Defense™ Multiple Projectile cartridge. Them bees five stacked, solid copper projectiles, designed to spew forth in a shotgunnish sort of way.

Here's some of the company's propaganda:

"Multiple Projectile ammunition provides a significant advantage in high stress shooting situations where control is limited or shooter experience may be in question. The fact that a single shot spreads out as it approaches its target statistically improves your chances of effectively eliminating the threat in your environment."

No idea why they're showing us a tight little cluster of five shots in that graphic. I've never messed with the stuff and don't know how the thing would pattern at specific distances, but can't imagine that a group like that would be the result if somebody fired one of these suckers at somebody else who wasn't almost at bad breath range...

Lehigh is noted as the "tricky bullet" company, with projectiles of various types that nobody else seems to produce. Talkin' about hollowpoints with separation grooves cut clear to the brass, weirdo corkscrew-lookin' bullets, and so forth.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/

--R

BlankinLoud and Bigfoot410 like this.
  12. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

--R

13. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

First thing I thought is "That would assplode my barrel, with my luck"

Thanks, Rob :)

MSB, BlankinLoud and Roberteaux like this.
  14. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

I've never fired a Star, but I have played with a pile of them over the years. We take a lot of guns off the streets, but we do the responsible thing and sell them to the highest bidder to get them back in action! That's job security. So, I get to play "furnace or FFL" with them to weed out the culls which would be modified illegal guns or non functioning guns. Seen lots of Stars and herds of Llamas (get it?), but the crown jewels are the classic, pot metal saturday night specials in plated chrome. At one time we had an entire filing cabinet completely filled with just the classic crap pocket pistols like Jennings, Ravens, FIE, Brycos, Cobras, etc....every drawer packed full. .25 Calibers for everyone!

15. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I love shitty old guns. I’ll cart that furnace pile away for you guys next time and since we’re MLP buddies I won’t even charge your municipality with a disposal fee. Well, not a steep one anyway.

Tell you what, while I’m there I’ll put in a good word for shotguns with the chief too.

Roberteaux and Kris Ford like this.
  16. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

The culls are guns in memory only. I'm talking about wrecked guns that can't be repaired, couldn't shoot a bullet anymore than a coffee pot would ever be able to. I bet you'd look at them and say, "okay, nevermind."

Roberteaux, smk506 and Kris Ford like this.
  17. HardCore Troubadour

probably going to pass on the Star BM

I ran up on a Sig Sauer P232 SL with box paperwork and 3 mags that I am going to see this afternoon...

I already have a P230 SL so it it is straight, I will bring it home....I am sure my wife will claim it.

Kris Ford, Roberteaux and smk506 like this.
  18. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Well you just talked your department into a much steeper disposal fee is what you did.

It’s cool though, I’ll still let you try out my ring of fire home brew. What has the slide of a Jennings, frame of a Brice and the internals of some cheap German import from the 60’s?

Roberteaux likes this.
  19. HardCore Troubadour

97849D59-D88E-458A-ACF2-74D3985A60E2.jpeg

Just could not help myself boys.....late 90’s Sig sauer P232 SL.

Came with factory case, trigger lock, 3 factory mags (those little suckers are high), one Galco shoulders holster with double mag pouch and one galco shoulder without a mag pouch...guy through in a box of 50 match grade ammo also.

I went ahead and ordered a set of Hogue wrap around with finger grooves.

Now, I don’t think she is quite a sweet as my original 230 SL (the function of the decocker seems a little different on the 232???), but for the price ($400), can’t beat it.

Kris Ford, smk506, Roberteaux and 3 others like this.
  20. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I have one of these, a Star model 30 M1 9mm I bought back in 1991 for $269 new. It's all steel construction make it suitable as a hammer after you run out of ammo (15+1)

[​IMG]