ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I really don't see the need for a heat shield on a shotgun, but they look cool and cool counts. One of these days I'll get mine out.
    Those bayonets are too long, looks like you could parry that blade easy and get around it.
    Hopefully he is out of shotshells.

BlankinLoud and Kris Ford like this.
  2. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Bono is your lawyer? Damn, that guy is into a little bit of everything! :shock:

@45WinMag

So how does my heir take possession of an NFA firearm without the trust? That's my only concern.

Getting Sheriff Chitwood to sign the ATF form wouldn't be a problem. I know the guy pretty well and we are generally friendly towards one another.

--R

3. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

They used to issue Model 12's to us in the Army, when we got stuck on guard duty at a motor pool or whatever.

The thing I thought that was neat about that model was how you could keep the trigger depressed after firing, and when you racked a round back in the chamber it would slam-fire.

I was a little surprised that you didn't seek a vintage Model 12 when you got a shotgun, and instead opted for that Mossberg. I am aware that the reproduction models that Winchester started selling a few years ago won't do the slam fire trick, though...

--R

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I guess the reasoning was that if the barrel was hot after firing, you could grab the forward part of the weapon to assist with bayonet thrust, or clubbing with butt-end, holding it like a Louisville Slugger. They were VERY adamant about the heatshield being there, it was a requirement for the trench guns. (They were classified as Riot Guns without them.) As was the bayonet lug and strap swivels. Every manufacturer of the trench guns had a heat shield..same concept just slightly different..( I like the one on mine as it does help you not brand your hand when you flip it on its back to reload after firing 25 or more shots in rapid fire mode :D), and does come in handy...for me anyways) And the cool factor is off the charts in my book.

I guess they used that bayonet to it's fullest extent when the enemy would try to jump over in the trench. then drive it thru them and pull the trigger..

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I stood MANY a watch with M12s..walking around the brow (where enlisted board a USN vessel, for officers it was the Quarterdeck, also an armed watch), @45WinMag can tell ya.

IF I find one I'm on it, and remember the Mossberg was a gift. :) (my line presented it to me for an early XMAS present.)

I REALLY want an A5 as well (or Remington Model 11)

And an 870, and a 12 gauge Stevens 620A..and a...well you know how it is. :D

6. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

:hmm:

Things must be different in the Navy. Guard duty of any sort was a punishment detail for screw-ups in the Army, which was why I didn't do it MANY times. Just once or twice, IIRC... and one time, it was just because everybody else split during the holidays and I was caught snoozing in the barracks by the officer of the day, who was looking for a warm body to stick in a compound full of artillery pieces and recoilless rifles that night...

Pissed me right off! :laugh2:

Sure do-- shotguns are nice! :thumb:

--R

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    BlankinLoud, ehb and Kris Ford like this.
  7. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

Relevant excerpts from an ATF memo on transfer of NFA items in decedents' estates:

For registered NFA firearms in the estate, the executor should take action as soon as possible to arrange for the proper registration of the firearms. Possession of an NFA firearm not registered to the possessor is a violation of Federal law and the firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture. However, we do allow the executor a reasonable time to arrange for the transfer of the registered firearms in a decedent’s estate. This generally should be done before probate is closed.

It is the responsibility of the executor of the estate to maintain custody and control of the firearms and to transfer the firearms registered to the decedent.

The firearms may be transferred on a tax-exempt basis to a lawful heir. The executor would apply on ATF Form 5, Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of a Firearm, for a tax-exempt transfer to a lawful heir. A lawful heir is anyone named in the decedent’s will or, in the absence of a will, anyone entitled to inherit under the laws of the State in which the decedent last resided. NFA firearms may be transferred directly interstate to a beneficiary of the estate. When a firearm is being transferred to an individual heir, his or her fingerprints on FBI Forms FD-258 must accompany the transfer application. However, if any Federal, State or local law prohibits the heir from receiving or possessing the firearm, ATF will not approve the application.

Not necessary anymore, the CLEO signoff was eliminated from the form.

Saw lots of M12s aboard ship. For an armed watch, an officer typically had an M9 and enlisted had a shotgun. Saw some M14s too (sharpshooters aloft during exercises or emergencies). I also remember standing watch as Force Protection Boat Officer on a RHIB (you basically rode around the ship in a rigid hull inflatable to shoo away gawkers who got too close when in port). The "crew" was the Boat O with an M9, an MA with a shotgun, a Coxswain, and an Engineer.

BlankinLoud, ehb, smk506 and 3 others like this.
  8. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Okay! Good stuff-- thank you for the fill-in-- you probably just saved me a few bucks!

--R :thumb:

BlankinLoud, ehb, smk506 and 2 others like this.
  9. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Probably came from G-2..in my time, ('92-'96) Officer wasn't armed, and Enlisted (all from Weapons Dept) had a .45 (black leather with oval US stamp at that) AND a shotgun..M12s or M500s. Flak Jacket, with radio.

Funny story, when I made E4, (technically cross-rating), I was still on Weapons watch bill somehow..and they made me stand a watch although I was transferred to ENG Dept..MAs kicking my rack, threatening me with dereliction of duty..blah blah blah..they wanted to take me to mast over it..but I had a good Chief in my corner..who stood up for me saying it wasn't my responsibility to stand a watch in a department I was no longer in..(being totally right..someone screwed up, and it wasn't me!) so pretty sure I was the ONLY Hull Tech to stand an armed brow watch on CVN-73! :D

BlankinLoud and ehb like this.
  10. MSB

MSB Senior Member

I'll never forget how hard my dad laughed when I flipped the mag cutoff with the bolt open the first time.... darn near took my finger off.

The biggest regret easily, hands down, gun related for me, was getting rid of a 21" sweet sixteen. That one took care of a LOT of doves and quail for me.

Kris Ford likes this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

For us, in Weapons, it was part of your DAILY watch rotation in port everyone E-1 to E-5..it was first six 4 hour shifts and then changed to four 6 hour shifts...and when anchored..there was a watch that if anyone tried to board via the anchor chain, to negate their entry.

We also trained with the MARDET for SRT.

BlankinLoud and Roberteaux like this.
  12. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

What is MARDET?

--R :dunno:

BlankinLoud likes this.
  13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Marine Detachment.

BlankinLoud and Roberteaux like this.
  14. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

But, with a trust, your family members (who are presumably on the trust, in the first place) just come back from your funeral and they are good to go. They already have ownership based on being members of the trust that you set up. There is nothing for them to do, but take your (well, theirs now) Class-3 shit out to the range and have a blast in your memory :)

No cost. No forms. No hassles. I'd rather deal with that stuff now, even at some additional tine & expense on me.

BlankinLoud and cybermgk like this.
  15. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

True enough, just make sure all the trustees are on board with the process of fingerprinting and photos any time you decide to add anything class 3 to the trust. That killed it for me, too much of a PITA to organize 4-5 people getting everything done, just wasn’t worth it.

I still have my trust, but no longer any trustees aside from myself and dad, he’s retired so he can get printed and photoed at his leisure, but even he might be coming off soon as we no longer live as close.

Just food for thought.

SteveC, BlankinLoud and Roberteaux like this.
  16. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Pistols.

Who here doesn’t have one or four? This will be another two part when I’ve time to assemble and photograph the rest, but let’s grt started!

44E69677-415B-4277-855F-759AB3052A76.jpeg

So from left to right here we have a Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/.357 convertable. These come with two cylinders, one for 9mm and the other for .38/.357. These are built like tanks wish they were built. Some consider them the ultimate survival gun being able to chamber 3 different rounds very common to North America. These are dreams to shoot and very accurate. Hitting pie plates at 100 yards is beyond doable.

Next down is my poor, poor S&W victory. I’ll fitting hogue grips, cheesy peeling nickle plating, cut down barrel, replaced sight, and bored cylinders compliment the bent ejection rod nicely. Why do I even own this?

In the middle is a neat piece from the surplus collection, a CCCP marked nagant revolver. This thing is a really unique revolver with so much going on I couldn’t take pics of everything. For one thing, they have a crisp clean double action trigger pull of roughly 28 pounds(jk, kinda). Seriously, this is one mother of a trigger. The pinned firing pins on these are probably a good 1/2 long and were probably repurposed into finish nails after the war ;) . There’s a loading gate on the opposite side of the picture that is literally just a pinned piece of metal that fold over the cylinder.

Here’s one thing I did get pics of though, the forward locking mechanism on the cylinder.

Below we see the cylinder as it typically sits, there’s a typical, if not long cylinder gap and we can see the forcing cone as usual.

ED68EEBD-0A4F-40E6-9878-4A1C55DF21E2.jpeg

Now when the hammer is cocked, two things happen. Per usual we have the rotation of the cylinder bringing a fresh chamber in line with the barrel, but the second half of the cocking process also pushes and locks the cylinder forward against the forcing cone as seen here.

84B2CC23-EA7E-4805-A54E-A6D6C7072CFF.jpeg

Remember that brutal double action trigger? ;)

Now the quicker thinking ones here have already figured out that this means you can in fact suppress this pistol. I’ve not done it and won’t to mine, but I’ve seen it done and apparently it works fairly well.
    I feel really stupid for not taking pictures of the ammo as that’s another neat thing, but briefly the case actually closes up over the bullet and seats inside the forcing cone. Pretty neat.

Lastly on the table are the walther P1 and my star model B.

The walther is a cool pistol, after the failure of the riech walther I suppose in an effort to distance themselves from anything nazi ceased production on the venerable P38 and began production of the P1. Its the same thing with an extra frame lug added later in the 60’s I believe. Kind of a poor mans pseudo WWII relic I guess.

The model freaking B.

I...

I don’t want to talk about it, I’ll just leave this here http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/09/foghorn/gun-review-star-model-b/

along with a note that sometimes the best thing to do with a malfunctioning gun is to oil it up, stick it in a gun rug and move on with life.

Next installment; pistols part two, the electric bugaloo.

Attached Files:

Malikon, THDNUT, ehb and 4 others like this.
  17. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Very interesting post... you've got some cool stuff there, even if your Model B is a jammamatic...

I enjoyed reading what I found at the link you posted, too. It was all news to me... :D

--R :thumb:

smk506, BlankinLoud and SteveC like this.
  18. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

"How did this happen drill sgt?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

19. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

THAT’S funny!

20. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words Rob! I enjoy sharing my stuff and this is much easier if less satisfying than hauling a bunch of stuff to the range and meeting people there.

If you get a chance to buy pretty much anything star for a good price I would encourage you to do so if for no other reason than as a piece of a long and storied firearm building history that is all but erased in modern times.

Unfortunately we’re nearing the end of the collection, I have another 2 maybe 3 installments left before it’s finished though and a few more cool things to share with you guys.