ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Wonder why they went with the name of Spud?

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Welp, here's part of my lil family:
    20171203_161713_HDR.jpg
    Shotgun is better..but not quite there..had a couple FTFs but is more consistent..I will break it down and try more of a bend on that stop. If not then, Mossberg will be dealing with it..

BUT the AR pic is pre M4 handguard (skinny CAR style) and ACOG.
    Here it is at it sits right now:
    20171206_101613_HDR.jpg
    M4 handguards with dual heatshields are VERY nice..larger oval shape is very comfy and substantial. Highly recommend BRAVO COMPANY for parts!
    20171206_101741_HDR.jpg
    ACOG is just awesome..TA31RCO-M4, USMC model known in NAVSPEAK as the AN/PVQ-31B. Coyote colored pouch is what they were issued in. (and matches my soft case perfectly! I have one for the M500 too as you can see above)
    I CAN NOT wait to zero it! I will use the method in the USMC manual.
    20171206_101711_HDR.jpg
    MBUIS can stay for now, but I may give TROY a holler to see what they might have.:D
    @Frogfur , I used Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to blacken my etched M&P15 logo..looks like a stamp now!
    20171206_102417_HDR.jpg

3. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Those AR 15s are like a herion fix. The more you look at accessories the worse it gets.
    I'm done. It works at night, and daytime.
    Truthfully, if i didn't carry it on the quad, i wouldn't be setup for night use, but I'm not giving up the laser.

Once i can fix my bayonet, i won't by another thing. I don't really need the lug extension, but its just for the fun of it because i have the bayonet. Also i have a few different accessories for it to change the configuration if i want.
    Best stay out of the catalogs.

Good looking guns.

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. 45WinMag

45WinMag Silver Supporter

One of the partners was a potato farmer in North Dakota.

Kris Ford and Frogfur like this.
  5. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

A shout out to a company with great customer service! I have a Gun Guard 4 pistol case that I bought in 1986 that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The egg crate foam inserts have deteriorated from use and gun oil over these last 30+ years, but the outer shell, latches and handles are still in good shape. The company was sold and is now called Plano Mfg. (planomolding.com). The case made now looks like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I went to their website to inquire about purchasing new egg crate foam inserts. I left them an e-mail. It took a while but they got back to me and sent me new inserts for free! I didn't expect that at all. I'd purchase their products in the future. Good customer service.

MSB, Kris Ford, Frogfur and 1 other person like this.
  6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Just heard from Triple R on my bayonet mount. Nice guy. He said almost all his business is from veterans! I guess he sells quite a few, as he stated he now had to invest in CNC machinery to keep up with orders. Thry return phone calls ASAP. Thats nice.
    I can't wait to get this adapter!

Kris Ford and THDNUT like this.
  7. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Those are nice.

Kris Ford and THDNUT like this.
  8. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Cannons -

Bigfoot410, MSB, Kris Ford and 2 others like this.
  9. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I wonder how many foot pounds of muzzle energy that cannon has?

Frogfur and Kris Ford like this.
  10. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Just imagine the damage during the civil war.

THDNUT and Kris Ford like this.
  11. MSB

MSB Senior Member

way more than I ever realized, makes me feel sorry for the Civil War guys

THDNUT, Kris Ford and Frogfur like this.
  12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Just think of the ones that didn't contact solid objects, and came bouncing across the open ground taking combatants legs off at the knees. Stuff like that. Horrible. But if you might be behind that rock wall..

THDNUT and Kris Ford like this.
  13. MSB

MSB Senior Member

or the ones that were twin barreled and had the chain between them... pure carnage. Our football stadium used to (12ish years ago) hold 53k and each game they'd show the attendance and I'd think to myself that everyone there died in three days at Gettysburg, kinda blew my mind every time.

THDNUT and Frogfur like this.
  14. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Just incredible. I've been looking at them, and the coolest miniatures shoot golf balls.
    That has to be fun. Now if you get Lyman, or someone to cut a cherry for it, then you have a mold for lead balls the size of golf balls heading down range.
    I love this stuff!

Renactors shoot cannons in battle buy charging with black powder, just as they might have (probably a reduced charge) then, instead of a ball, tbey use a paper wad against the charge, and basically blow all that out for harmless effect.

15. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Find a source for used worn 2" ball bearings. Now those would make some awesome projectiles! :dude:

Frogfur likes this.
  16. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

Impressive showing by the M&P 15 Sport 2.

Frogfur, Kris Ford and cooljuk like this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

I finally decided on my optic for my 3-gun and Practical Rifle competition. I was seriously considering the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. But, I just never could get comfortable with that reticle. In the end, I decided that I hated it - LOL then, they made a 1-8 version... and, the reticle was better, but still not my cup o' tea. And, it was an assload of $$$ more.

So, I went in the opposite direction... I got the Vortex Crossfire ii 1-4X with the V-brite reticle. It's perfect for me. A simple crosshair reticle, with a 1.5 MOA dot in the center. And, the dot can be illuminated! Just the dot.

So, for close up at 1X, it's basically a red dot! For the long shots out to 100 and 200 yards, I can dial up the mag and put the dot on the target.

Sometimes, we run a stage in the match, or the entire match with BUIS only. With my old RD, I could just turn the dot off and use the BUIS, cowittnessed through the RD. Of course, you cannot do that with a scope. So, I picked up a Burris PEPR QD mount.

I got everything mounted today and ran out of daylight, so tomorrow is sight in and test day. I need to make sure that I can remove & replace the scope, with a good RTZ. Fingers crossed. I don't need it to return perfectly, but +/- 1-2MOA would be wonderful!

Here's a few pix...

Scope and QD Mount.JPG

Rifle with Scope 3.JPG

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Frogfur, Kris Ford and Roberteaux like this.
  18. Roberteaux

Roberteaux GOOMPH! V.I.P. Member

Very nice! :thumb:

Great product review also-- thanks for posting it!

Please give us a field report after you're done zeroing and testing tomorrow... I'm always interested in your observations, especially when it comes to optics... ;)

--R

Kris Ford and SteveC like this.
  19. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

Will do, Rob. I angst'd over this for a long time. I really wanted to like the Strike Eagle, but could just never pull the trigger. I knew deep down inside that I wouldn't like it. Everything else that I really LOVED was even more expensive. And, I wanted to keep the cost to around $300.

I got to see the Crossfire ii in person, last month at the match. As soon as I looked though the tube, I knew that it would work for me. Simple reticle, red dot center. I don't need a BDC reticle. I never shoot out past 200 yards.

Using a 50/200 zero, I'm dead nuts on at 50 & 200 and 1.5" high at 100. So, I put the dot on the target and fire. The worst I am off is 1.5". For my competitions, that is zero error!

The Crossfire ii was on sale at Optics Planet for $199 and with the 11% cyber-Monday sale, it came down to $177. The Burris QD mount was $90 less the same 11% - $88. Free shipping was icing on the cake. So, I ended up UNDER budget.

Not a high-end set up, by any stretch of the imagination. But, it should be just what I need to be more competitive in my games. The RD alone was not getting it done for me. The longer shots had too many misses and the shooters with scopes were picking up major points over me on those shots.

I can tell you that it will be a learning experience for me. I have never shot with a scope. I'm going to be getting a real-time lesson on consistent and proper cheek weld and eye relief. It's another skill that will need to be first learned... then, mastered.

Just mounting it correctly was an experience.

Roberteaux likes this.
  20. Roberteaux

Roberteaux GOOMPH! V.I.P. Member

I know that feeling! Took me a month of Sundays to decide on that EOTech I bought, and now I'm up the same tree all over again for having plunked the EOTech on that .300 BLK I rigged up. I find myself in need of something to replace it on one of my other AR rifles that continues to be configured for 5.56...

The EOTech and .300 BLK is not a "fun" rig... it's a "tool" rig and I am firing it regularly.

But, since it's considerably less expensive to fire 5.56/.223 ammo just for the sporting pleasure of it, and because I have tons of components with which to assemble cartridges, I still fire way more 5.56 than .300 BLK.

So now I'm looking for a red-dot (non-holo) sight to stick on one of the AR's for fun. It doesn't have to be bomb-proof or capable of surviving after being dunked in water or anything. But since I still have vivid memories of the el cheapo Chinese red dot I had that more or less self-destructed, I realize that I'm not in the market for anything that inexpensive. I mean, I'd like the thing to at least survive more than a year or so without actually falling apart, the way that 19-buck POS did... :laugh2:

And so the search continues... :hmm:

I think you made a great choice with this Vortex. You got value, quality, and practicality all in one fell swoop! :thumb:

That's great! "Accurate enough" is usually accurate enough. Ain't like you're shooting in benchrest competitions or sniping at the Taliban in the Hindu Kush range, or anything like that.

Meanwhile, nothing Vortex has to offer seems like junk. The company's products might not be the most expensive of gear types, but what I've seen of their stuff looks to be of good quality anyway. I'd rather get whatever the job at hand is done correctly, with tools that are sufficient for my purpose, than to try and impress folks and spend myself into the poor house with expensive gear.

Can see how that would happen, too... :hmm:

Just gonna be a question of you forming useful habits. You'll have that sussed out by about tomorrow night, and with a little practice it will all become second nature. You're not a new kid when it comes to this stuff by any means.

Please do be sure to let us know what your impressions are tomorrow-- or at least, once you've pretty much got a grip on the whole subject of this new scope.

These product reviews are not only very interesting, but they're also useful to others. I have doubt that sooner or later I am liable to want to put a scope on that Bushmaster ACR I've got... and for sure I see myself getting something better than what I had for that .270 bolt I'm still screwing around with... the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 x 40 I had on it before migrated to my Ruger 10/22, and once I get back to really working with the .270, I'll want something a little better for it.

Gonna be doing some crazy stuff with 100-grain bullets in that rifle. But dang: every time I'm about to concentrate on it, I do something weird that really diverts my attention-- like buying a .300 BLK upper and messing with loads for it... :facepalm:

--R :D

SteveC likes this.