ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Pretty soon they'll know which direction you leave after the purchase. Thanks for the alert KP.

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Bondo for gun refinishing. :yesway: :dude:

I have a good air brush, but never thought of using it like this.
    I'm telling you guys, its easier than ever to get a good finish on your used field grade guns right at home.

I don't think you can smoke the stuff..
    Just say'n

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

@Frogfur
    I had remembered you posted this a ways back..

Well, yesterday I spent some quality time watching the action over and over..and it seems that when the elevator comes down, it is supposed to push the cartridge stops back and out of the way when it comes down, allowing a shell to come into the elevator ramp.
    The video at 4:57 shows the bars being pushed into receiver BY the elevator when it comes down..when studying mine, the elevator makes NO contact with the bars. Like a paper thin gap between them even.

SO..does this tell me that it MUST contact the bars, to push them into slots in receiver, to allow shell to be released from the mag tube? So I must bend the stops that they make positive contact on the elevator when the action is racked to the back, which will then contact the stops, and push them back into the receiver, to allow shell to pass thru.

Gonna give 'er a shot when we get back from laundry and running around.

ehb likes this.
  4. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

These designs all operate the same way. Your problem is much like this one. Failure to feed. Take it out and bend it so there is less stop against the shell rim. This is an easy fix. Get that shotgun operational.

Kris Ford likes this.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Get off my f*cking lawn. V.I.P. Member

After considering all the options available to me for a 1-Nx scope, that won't break the bank, I decided on the Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x, with the V-Brite reticle.

Originally, I was planning to get the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x. But, I just could not bond with that stupid (IMO) horseshoe reticle. I tried to like it, but nope! Then, I looked at the new Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x. I liked that reticle better, but not by much. And, the price was considerably more than the 1-6x. So, nope!

At a competition last week, I saw the Crossfire and loved the simple crosshair reticle, with a 1.5 MOA red dot in the center. Exactly the simplicity that I wanted. So, I pulled the trigger on it. It was over $100 less than the Strike Eagle 1-6x :)

I never shoot competitively out past 200 yards. So, no big deal between 1-4x and 1-6x. It's all about target acquisition time and this reticle will work faster for me.

I ordered a Burris PEPR QD mount, too. Sometimes, the matches call for Iron Sights Only stages, so it will be nice to just pop off the scope without tools.

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 12.47.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 12.47.56 PM.png

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

OK! :D Great news!!

So I bent the stop again, this time I did a more firm bend, then just a lil more for good measure...and also noticed with my magnifier that there was a BURR on the hook, and part of the bar..(where the ACTION bar connects when racked all the way back..no doubt NOT helping anything..) When studying the movement of the action, I can see that the stop also depresses properly when the slide is back..(thus moving out of way for shell to pass up to feed ramp) Maybe burr was hanging it up combined with the improper bend? It cycles MUCH slicker now, and feed ramp doesn't get stuck at the bottom anymore either! I'm seeing proper retraction of the stop with the activation of the slide.

I filed the burr, polished it out real good, and so far, I think it's a go!! It literally THROWS the shell up into the chamber now! None fall out either.

So tomorrow is the torture test..I have a couple hundred 00 buck to run..that will be the final test..if it cycles them all, then my faith is restored, and it will have the watch again.

MSB, Frogfur and BlankinLoud like this.
  7. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

That is great news Kris. I keep promting here, you guys tackle this stuff yourself. You don't need to pay some one to do it.

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Slapped on the Bayonet today just because. Still looks mean. I don't really want an AR style rifle without the lug.
    The bayonet -
    IMG_20171202_145530_2545.jpg
    I've got one and if Gunny says fix bayonets I'm ready ready teddy to rock'n roll!
    20171202_144348.jpg

Ive got this sharper than it should be.
    20171202_144408.jpg

20171202_144430.jpg

I'm going to silver solder another lug about 2 inches forward to move the blade forward like so -
    IMG_20171202_150337_2194.jpg
    I like it. My hope is that, if I'm out of ammo and they see me charge and screaming like I'm crazy, they'll drop their gun and run like Hell!!
    Right now, this M7 locks up nice and tight but the barrel ring and the flash hider need a better match

IMG_20171202_151040_1072.jpg

IMG_20171202_151112_262.jpg
    But! Then i found this!
    http://www.triple-r-products.com/product-comparisons.html
    Ive got to have one!

Brings back allot of memories.

Also slapped on the gangster grip.
    IMG_20171202_152307_952.jpg
    On tap of the button, and instant bi-pod.
    IMG_20171202_152335_2220.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Kris Ford likes this.
  9. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Years back, I read the very first ARs that went in the field had flimsy barrels and would fold if jabbed into something hard but the ones back in boot were heavier barrels... I don't know the absolute validity of that but it seems reasonable considering the damn college boys didn't think it necessary that they chrome line the first ones either... That in itself is a great example of The Stupid raising its head in grand form...

Kris Ford and Frogfur like this.
  10. ehb

I still think the Nam era Colt marked mags (20s) with the cast follower were the best made.... I've ammo boxes full... One good strip/clean/brush/Rem-Oil Teflon lube/wipe-down/reassemble and you are good to go....

Frogfur and Kris Ford like this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

:D
    Oh yeah, that will do the trick.
    Your boys are now rocking with THIS fine piece of United States Navy provided hunk of steel..the OKC3S..
    [​IMG]
    Which in a way kinda pays tribute to the KA-BAR:
    [​IMG]
    The current USMC OKC3S is a baaaaad SOB in my book!

ehb and Frogfur like this.
  12. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

P mags are soo super nice too...I didn't want to like them..but damn it all..I can't help it!

Frogfur and ehb like this.
  13. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

20 round mags are my preferred mag. Especially prone. And my bayonet is also known as the M7 and was produced from 1964 thru 1967. But there were plenty of them around when i got issued mine.

Kris Ford and ehb like this.
  14. ehb

Nice rig, Frog!!!

Gene Stoner's design sure has withstood the test of time... Best platform ever designed in my book.
    Ergonomically a natural pointer, just plain fits hands, shoulders, and eye position. Inherently accurate. The way it is designed, there are limitless options to modify without negatively changing ergonomics to any extent...

I was amazed after a Camp Perry shooter Marine club bud taught me the reverse forward hand grip (with leather mitt) for offhand.... Stable as hell in the most difficult position to shoot accurate to me...

Second best is probably Mikhail Kalashnikov's design. Not as ergonomic but still somewhat natural. More reliable action I think in adverse conditions, although not as accurate.... I saw a machined version (Valmet?) that was gorgeous....and tight as hell. Super nice...

Close second.01 is the Garand. No explanation needed... Love mine....

Just pondering out loud....

15. ehb

Love the 20s... I really like the 5s that came with my old Colt Accurized 24" bull....

With my old Colt AR 9mm I love the Colt 9mm 20s! Built in bench rest... ;)

16. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

There are what they call pencil barrel ARs. If you are building accurate, thats what you want.

17. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I totally agree! In fact, back in the day, i built several 03s for 3 Camp Perry compeditators that were customers.

ehb likes this.
  18. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

[​IMG]

ehb and Frogfur like this.
  19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Kris, check out this M7 on a Mosdburg 500.

IMG_20171202_162317_4535.jpg
    That looks good. I like that!

20. ehb

One year my bud brought a pic back for me he took from his mat on the 1000 range....
    He said "this is what the target line looks like at 1000...."
    I squinted at the pic and said "what target line?" hahahaha....