ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Early 80's I remember them being king! M-16 still had a less than stellar rep for some reason then.. (mainly from vets I'd guess) upload_2017-9-7_8-14-27.jpeg
    That and a UZI.

I always loved the UZI as a kid..I remember being able to pick one up when I was 10-11 years old at a gun show..I was in total AWE. Super popular in the early 80's.

An interesting history.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzi

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

The mini-14
    2017-09-07-07-12-25.jpg

3. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

The 14s are very dependable and a classic design. Easy to maintain and fun shooters. Certainly less problematic than the AR platform.

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

BlankinLoud, bulletproof and Frogfur like this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

BlankinLoud, bulletproof and Frogfur like this.
  6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Byron here is an addition to the above-

Whether you prefer one type of lubrication over another is fine. Personal preference counts. What also is important here is proper lubrication of the weapon with which ever products you chose.

Much could depend on such Elmements as geographic location, perceived use etc. I do use grease on both the M-14 and the mini mechanism, but those are the only two.

It also again is mission specific. If I'm headed for Arizona, sand and grease could be an issue as opposed to sand and some alternative lubricant that does not attract, nor suspend it. Likewise, a pathfinder mission to the North pole will certainly require a different lubrication suited to intended use expected.
    I'd prefer grease if I knew I would be submerging my weapon along with a huge dose of WD-40 on everyrhing.

Speaking of which, most guys don't do this I would imagine, but during routine cleaning I blast all gun springs with WD-40 before lubrication. On the Ruger Single Six after cleaning, I shoot any and all springs with it. The AR, even after a routine cleaning, I carefully hose down the spring assemblies, allow to air dry a few minutes while I finish lubricating other parts, then add a drop of regular old Rem Oil or actually, whatever is adequate and within reach. But by doing so I prevent any micro rust issues that could be missed easily since removal of your trigger group is not part of user cleaning procedure, nor necessary(other than Ruger)which like some others, is easily cleaned and inspected outside the gun. Sweetness..

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

They are super nice! Plus that 7.62 punch!!

Frogfur, BlankinLoud and bulletproof like this.
  9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

John your scope should be there today by FedEx buddy.

10. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Oh hell yaaaa!! One of my wish listers,right there.....

Hey y'all,I was over at The Load Out Room and came across this here article. The main reason Im posting this(it is a good article with the Q&A) is for the list of companies who actually manufacture lowers that other companies use. I had no idea there were so few...

https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/how-to-build-an-ar-15-beginners-guide-part-one/

smk506, BlankinLoud and Frogfur like this.
  11. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Im on it,brother!! Got the dogs walking the perimeter.....and Larry,Thank you again.

BlankinLoud and Frogfur like this.
  12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

That is a great link! Thanks for sharing that.

BlankinLoud and bulletproof like this.
  13. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

It's here... going to range later this afternoon to install and compare with existing FH.

Lantac Dragon 1.JPG Lantac Dragon 2.JPG

Frogfur and BlankinLoud like this.
  14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Sweet!

Attached Files:

15. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

SteveC likes this.
  16. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

First, let me get this out of the way... The Lantac Compensator/Muzzle Brake is wonderful. I expected to notice "some" improvement in the reduction of muzzle rise and felt recoil. But, my expectations were wildly exceeded. I'm not really prone to exaggeration, so you can take that to the bank.

With the original A2 flash hider, I definitely had to work on controlling the muzzle rise. To be clear, it was not horrible by any stretch of the imagination. But, when the clock is running and follow-up shots need to happen in the least amount of time possible, every little bit of work that you have to do to get back on target takes valuable time. The difference between winning and coming in 10th place is measured in less than 1 second, in some matches.

So, I was looking for something that would help the "dot" stay on target after each shot. And, allow me to control where I wanted the muzzle to go, for follow up shots on different targets.

In short, I want to move the muzzle - not have to correct and adjust for the muzzle moving on its own.

With the Lantac installed, I could detect some muzzle rise. But, I had to actually look for it. On the clock, under pressure, I would not notice it. That is a VERY GOOD thing! The dot stayed on target for each subsequent shot.

The proof would be to over-simulate what I do in competition and see if I could "break it".

Here's a picture of 10 shots, standing offhand, at a paper plate at 100 yards, as fast as I could pull the trigger. The first shot is the one just under the center dot. The other 9 are the follow up shots.

Amazing! The group was spectacular and the vertical separation was non existent, after the first shot.

I use these plates for practice, since they are SMALLER than the A-box in the match targets. The center of the plate is about 3.5" in diameter.

Rapid Fire @ 100 yards.jpeg

I think this target speaks volumes for what the Lantac device does to mitigate muzzle rise. I am utterly amazed and thrilled at how well the Lantac performs.

It is well worth every penny that I paid for it.

Now, the bad news. This device will make your rifle FUCKING LOUD. Now, let me say that again... this thing is INSANELY FUCKING LOUD!!!!! The concussion from the side ports will move the hair on the arms of any person standing within 5-7 feet on either side of you.

I wear good hearing protection and I can absolutely hear the increased volume from this device. I don't care; it's not bothersome to me and it will not damage my hearing because... I wear good hearing protection!!!

People on the line next to you might have different thoughts, though. My take on that - they should be wearing good hearing protection! After all, they are at a gun range with many people firing weapons!!!!

This thing is a perfect 10, IMO. Highly recommended if eliminating muzzle rise is important to you.

Here's a few pix of it on the rifle:

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Good shooting, standing and at 100, Steve.

18. LtDave32

LtDave32 Sua Sponte Super Mod Premium Member

Can we talk barrel quality for a sec?I'm thinking of two different barrels at 20", one that is your typical 4150 chrome moly, and one that is a pricey-er blend of chrome moly and other (?) metal that's "hammer forged", and that's referred to as "machine gun steel", to be found in SAW 249's and such.

Well, I'm not shooting a machine gun, and have no intention thereof. Been there, done that.

What I'm looking for is the best accuracy available at a decent price.

From the youtube's I've seen, not that much diff in practical accuracy. Not enough to warrant the huge price diff, which is over $250 more over the other standard chrome moly vanadium barrel.

What say you guys?

SteveC and BlankinLoud like this.
  19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Just in a nut shell, the barrel is everything.
    But, I wouldn't let price dictate that, rather fearures. Prior to the 1930s one would never have shot out a barrel. It was the advent of the magnum that enabled you to shoot out a barrel.
    Look for features you want and then look at prices.

Kris Ford and SteveC like this.
  20. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Assume post and review Steve. I'm still looking at these comps to. I juzt want to send It forward.

Kris Ford and SteveC like this.