ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

While I do agree with his assessment that he was a little harsh in his first review, I'm taking this retreat with a grain of salt. The man just mounted an EoTech Vudo ($1300+ optic) a few videos back. He received it from EoTech for free. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    bulletproof and BlankinLoud like this.
  2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

He is still using this stuff to a much higher degree than most shooters, so I still value his opinion. And frankly him, and TRex both are outstanding shooters.
    But he is just one of many views on the subject, and we seems to be building a base knowledge here where we can solve allot of common problems which is not the easiest way on a public forum.

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

4. Hairless_Ape

I still like the guy (one can never have too many crayon jokes) and his reviews. But the timing of this one needed to be noted.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

If someone gave some pickups here, they'd probably gush about them too...maybe even "enhanced gushing"
    Honestly, my only REAL issue with them is THIS:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-faulty-rifle-sights/?utm_term=.df7120495f84
    http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/01/21/eotech-breaks-silence-over-defective-sights.html

This is not job pride, or bragging.
    Just a VERY valid concern.

bulletproof, Roberteaux and Frogfur like this.
  6. Hairless_Ape

They're supposedly "fixed" now. But there was no announcements or anything, so I don't know what to think. And no way, as far as I know, to tell if you're buying NOS or the improved models. Not good, IMO.

7. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

All I can tell you is this thing bounces around in the quad box and still holds zero. Left it out last winter over night, not effect. These are more than tuff-e-nuff for anything I will ever do with it. I'm pretty sure Rob will not break his either.

But we all enjoy different views, and yours is understandable. But(and only me personally)I simply don't have use for a superior optic like that. If I did you would be the first one I'd want to talk to about that.

I'm a firstest..with the mostest..goes home kinda guy. The old superior fire power mind set. So that is why I'm setup as I am. The EoTech is the sight I would mount for combat without question.
    You know why ? Because it's the one I got! Lol..thats why.

These fit my shooting style because I don't shoot long range. Only for fun now and then, and these old vets I shoot with ain't any better than I am past 100 yds.
    Where I work at with a rifle is between the muzzle and 50 yds. See i want to hide in the dark, in the bushes and let'em walk right past me. Piss on all that shoot'n stuff. So I like the 7-25 yd. kill zone as far as a self defense aspect. Across the average parking lot would be a maximum, otherwise..Im gone to fight again another day.

Now Dave on the other hand..he sounds like is looking at shooting some distance, and it should be interesting to see his rifle when he gets it finished the way he wants.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I totally agree, and am in NO way slagging anyone, or anyone's choice..and I respect your opinion and viewpoints.

After all, you own a Roadrunner!!!:naughty:

9. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

That even looks kinda like mine.

10. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

The Mini-14

These are very popular rifles used by law enforcement, prison tower guards, target shooters military, and gun nuts in general.
    I still have one original mini-14 180 series.
    Mine weighs about 6lb 8 oz.

The mini-14 has a fixed piston, mobile cylinder gas operated system, with a short-stroke piston just like it's big brother, The M-14 but these differ in its self cleaning design.

Remove the magazine. Make sure the weapon is empty and safe. The safety must be in the on position (toward the butt of your rifle)in order to disassemble your weapon.
    * The primary reason for that being so the trigger is not acidently dislodged. If the hammer flies without support it could be damaged.

A. Turn your rifle upside down on a flat surface (The kitchen table works fine)
    Divorced..? Hey, the coffee table is good too!
    1. Take a tool such as a screw driver, punch etc and insert that into the hole in the rear of trigger guard behind the trigger and lift upward, then remove the trigger group.

2. Gentley remove the stock by turning the gun right side up and prying upward easily. They will seperated.

3 turn the barreled action over and carefully remove the spring guide and pull out the recoil spring.
    *use caution when removing the guide and spring. Push the guide and spring into the gas tube and then pull them straight out.
    This will enable you to remove the charging slide handle. Get the little pin and round piece put aside.

4. Pull your charging handle to the rear, align the disassembly notch on your reciever. With light upward pressure, remove your charging handle.

5. Take off the bolt lock plate and its plunger. Take out the other pin next to it inserted in the frame.

6. Pull and twist the bolt out of the reciever, it will pivot out and align the firing pin with the slot at the bottom of the reciever.
    That's it. You are field stripped.

But, seeing as how you requested the information, here are two very good videos.
    One on disassembly and the other on reassembly.
    Hope this helps you out. These are very simple fire arms to maintain. You can easily do this yourself.

Disassembly-

Reassembly-

Best of luck

11. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

The Perfect assassin's weapon, perfected in 1870. The paper patch bullet! No metal to metal contact between the bullet and the bore, thus leaving no rifling, the paper patch being consumed out the bore rather than remaining with the bullet.

Spook stuff..

12. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

That was the cutting edge tech for accuracy back in the day.[​IMG]

If I recall, Matthew Quigley used them. :fingersx:

13. Digger

Digger Dingo Lover! V.I.P. Member

There are 2 things in life I'd like but will probably never have!

One is a Gibson ES335 in cherry, the other is a Ruger Mini 14 (non S/S).

Have a look at this, I'm sure it's going to elicit a few comments:

14. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

I owned a Mini-14 while I was in the service. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that particular type of rifle. :thumb:

The thing I liked best about it was that it pointed so well. This is the same thing I like so much about the AR 15... and what I dislike about the Bushmaster ACR I own. It's snout-heavy, and that slows you down right when you need to be pretty fast.

But that Mini pointed like a bird dog, same as the AR does for me.

Call me a fan. I no longer own one-- but the Mini-14 really is a great rifle!

--R :thumb:

ETA: Ex-wife #1 was a fan of the Mini as well. She was a sergeant in the Volusia County Department of Corrections, and occasionally got stuck working a guard tower. As such, she had to qualify with the rifle frequently... that and the AR 15, seeing as they had some of both. 12 gauge shotgun, too: Remington 870 pump... good with a Model 10 S&W in .38 Special also.

But anyway, she actually preferred the Mini-14 over the AR 15... she shot it well and had more confidence in it.

One time I asked her why she preferred the Mini-14, when she shot as well with the AR rifle.

Her answer was, "I dunno. I think it's that the stock fits me better, and that the stock is made of wood. I don't suppose you know what I mean..."

But I did know what she meant. I always liked the wooden stock as well.

smk506, bulletproof, Frogfur and 3 others like this.
  15. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Cool stuff!

bulletproof, Frogfur and BlankinLoud like this.
  16. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

Funny thing... several months ago, I learned that if you wished to fire-form a small rifle case to an individual rifle's chamber-- but without firing a live cartridge-- there's a way to do it.

The cartridge types I'm thinking of here would be those such as .223 Remington, .22 Hornet, or pretty much anything small with a case volume between about 12-30 grains of water. This trick doesn't work with larger cases, though.

But here's the trick: you resize the case in your reloading press, to bring it to proper specs. Trim if necessary. Next, put a live primer in the case. Now dump about 3-6 grains of Bullseye pistol powder in the case (depending on case volume), and close the case off with a tight-fitting bit of paper towel or even a smallish amount of cotton, like a pistol cleaning patch. You want this plug to be flush with your case so the thing chambers completely, so don't leave a big sprue of it sticking out.

Next, fire the cartridge case, and there's your fire-formed case.

Well, I didn't happen to have any Bullseye powder on hand, but I had another very fast powder of that type: the goofy-but-surprisingly-useful Trail Boss stuff, which is marginally slower than Bullseye... but which I figured might actually work anyway.

So I set things up, and then went ahead and fired it out in my garage. No big bang to it-- the cops could have been eating lunch in my front yard and might have thought I popped a paper bag in there, and that's about it.

I had it aimed at an empty cardboard box-- figured it would go through just one side. I was using a tiny chunk of a paper towel, held the muzzle about three inches from the box and had the safety glasses on. The bit of towel was tightly-fitted, but how heavy could it have been? I didn't moisten the paper, either-- just stuffed it in there and scissored the sprue to make it flush.

Damn! The paper towel went through both sides of the cardboard box! It expanded after that and fluttered to the ground about six feet on the other side of the box... kind of like seeing a shotgun wad after letting off a load of birdshot, though it didn't travel such a far distance. But still: I was very surprised.

I was told that the case wouldn't be perfectly fire-formed, the way it would if I fired a loaded cartridge with a real bullet... that the neck wouldn't be a perfect match for the chamber, just the body and case shoulders. And that turned out to be correct.

But then, I only did all that to see if Trail Boss powder would work as well as Bullseye-- and it appears as though it did. I sometimes experiment with stuff like that, if I think I can get away with it. I'm always curious about this sort of thing.

So I was a bit surprised about the force of a dry wad of paper towel, when fired by a regular small rifle primer and six grains of fast powder. But not as surprised as I was when I cross-referenced the experiment on the Internet and found a guy named Varmint Al talking about doing the same thing with the .17 Ackerly Hornet.

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Varmint Al said the same things I was told... but added: do NOT try this with a rifle that has any sort of muzzle brake while using a bit of rag, or you might end up with this:

[​IMG]

Yikes! Who knew that such a small bit of powder, while only very loosely confined, was capable of that kind of effect?

For those who are interested in the relative burning rates of powders, when compared to other powders, I offer this chart:

[​IMG]

The powders are listed from fastest (Norma R1) to slowest (Vihtavuori 20N29)

Be careful how you use it! :shock:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I actually prefer it over the AR platform, but it would not fit in my quad box. That was the deciding factor between the two.

18. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

You are not alone. They are just as popular as any AR.

19. Byron999

Byron999 Senior Member

20. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Another happy shooter!