ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Frogfur, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Hmm..we have an industrial oven at work I bet I could use...

ehb and Frogfur like this.
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Old military "spam cans" and crate
    [​IMG]

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

[​IMG]

4. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

This is very low heat Kris, around 200° or so.

ehb and Kris Ford like this.
  5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Yep, ours goes down that low. :) We use it to speed cure epoxied parts, at 185 degrees.

6. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

While doing a little deep cleaning, and lubricating on my side locks, i thought i would share a few photos for those that might wonder just whats inside those side hammers ?

Just like any thing else, your locks need maintenance from time to time. That would include inspection, and lubrication.
    These are a timeless, and very reliable system of ignition incorperating flat V springs, as did many early revolver designs.

These V-springs are under allot of tension, and need a proper compression devise in order to remove them.

The anatomy of a side hammer shotgun-
    This design has been around along time.
    IMG_20171105_160639_5183.jpg
    IMG_20171105_160826_4284.jpg

IMG_20171105_160900_6783.jpg
    I use CLP for inside lubrication on things like this where i prefer not to disassemble them any more than necessary( due to the two wood screws on the side plates) it works well for such apications.

Tip: i use Hornaday die/case lube to lubricate the sear engagements which works fine, stays put, last along time. It has the consistency of Crisco. Good stuff. I also use it on leather.

In days of old, they would employ bear tallow, which was also used in place of axle grease, which was $25.00 a bucket. Bears provided meat, hides and tallow.
    20171105_165258.jpg
    20171105_165310.jpg

Additionally, some may wonder what the difference between side locks, and box lock design are actual. These visuals pretty much show you the differences between the two designs with common cararistics.
    The Box Lock -
    boxlock-lockwork-within-the-box-pivot-points.jpg

The Side Lock -
    sidelock-cad-for-gazette.jpg

The lock works are extremely difficult to build, and there are only a handful of lock builders left in the UK and world wide.
    Originally clock makers were employed to build the finest locks for gun builders such as Holland & Holland and others they were so difficult to build correctly.

I have never built a lock, although I have built 3 or 4 main springs for someone's smoke pole. They just don't break much.

Typical lock work design all again, with similar design cararistics -
    20171105_163624.jpg
    Notice how I lubed the piss out of that lock ? That way I won't have to open it up again for a couple of yrs down the road unless submerged.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Roberteaux, cooljuk, ehb and 2 others like this.
  7. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I have the same type grip on my Berettas.... Love those type grips... Extremely comfortable and actually improves POI consistency for me....

I've shot one of mine so much that that magic PB finish is gone in places around the safety, blue is almost gone on barrel.... K's of rounds through it.... Just can't wear it out... Still prints like a dream.... I did work every contact surface when it was new and a gunsmith bud and I O-ringed the barrel as a test.... He then wanted to buy it from me...

I've had many buds cycle the action (cleared of course) and look at me grinning from both feeling and hearing how the action sounds... You can most definitely hear "slick"....

Roberteaux, Frogfur and BlankinLoud like this.
  8. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

There is a conversation in the backstage on the church shooting recently. I would prefer to stay out of that, so being as there is no one here, i'll voice my opinion here instead, being a gun thread actual, This pertains.

This, as all shootings in public are horrible acts, but not the acts of the average law abiding firearms owner who enjoys shooting at the community range, the pride of ownership, hunting and plinking. Traditional pastimes of your father, grandfather or older brothers or even sisters.

I don't know about you personally, but we have fought and spilled blood to protect our right to own firearms, to enjoy the shooting sports, and the God given right to self preservation and the protection of family and loved ones, your personal property, along with tyrants that would gladly remove your right to do so if possible.

These shooting incidents are acts of cowards that wreck haveck on communities and people's personal lives as well. Snipers especially fall into either one of two categories. Cowards or professionals, such as military personal.

Every since I was allowed to handle a firearm (especially before I came of age)I have realized one important fact on this subject which comes thru loud and clear in today's world. It's not guns.

It's the people who use them and how they do so. If we take away firearms as a blanket solution to the issues what I believe we would see is, more assaults, robberies, home invasions and other acts of violence due to the absence of the average person's ability to respond, and defend themselves in the absence of law enforcement's ability to do so. Have you ever noticed how most home invasions are at homes lacking a gun that could have been used to repel such actions by the bad guys?
    I don't see a large scale effort by gangs to turn in their .45s, 9mms and AR-15s or Aks. Or even the ability by law enforcement to disarm them. They are fully armed universally.

I've had a boat load of police, and county Sheriffs deputies as customers over the years thru my shop doors. Most will tell you privately that they can't always be there to protect you from such acts of violence. They mostly agree that like it or not, it's up to the average citizen to protect themselves, either at home, or thru vigilance on the street. They can't, and won't always be there to protect you and your loved ones from harm, and frequently show up after such incidents occur, thru no fault of their own. They dont have a crystal ball guys.

Let's be honest. If they lack the ability to use guns, they will run over you with cars and or trucks(which are now vehicles of mass destruction)and you will surely see no call to ban them which is oblivious.

They will, and do club you to death, stab, cut and blow up people if guns are not easily available. A carburetor on a work bench suddenly becomes a murder weapon when they pick that up and cave your skill in with it.

It's not the guns. True, it makes it easier, faster and more headline note worthy. But If only the police and the bad guys are the only ones that have firearms, where does that leave us..shivering in the dark ?
    Bullshit!

The solution..? It is unknown to me. But what should be obvious is that on any given day, millions of American gun owners do nothing wrong with the fire arms they own and use lawfully here in this country, whether they be a pellet gun, or a leagal M-60.

Perhaps we should return to days of old where only 5 shots could be discharged before lengthy reloading..?
    20171107_071245.jpg
    But even then, the very powder used to enjoy such crude weapons could be used in the production of pipe bombs to blow us up in mass numbers, which they already employ with vigour at times all over the world, including here.

The problem needs to be addressed in a common sense manner. Myself, as well as all that visit here need to realize that it's not the guns, it's people that use them in a fashion that is repulsive to us all, no matter what country you reside in.

Note: don't bring negative comments here on the subject and start something, or if Dave doesn't shut it down, I will!
    This is a pro-gun thread, not a bullshit argument center.

Keep your powder dry, and the wind to your back shooters.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  9. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

With the ungodly number of guns in this country, hell look at the number we in this thread have, if their argument about evil guns were true, this country would already be a wasteland and everybody would already be dead....

The numbers don't lie.

10. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Just a note on the pistol above. It is my Colt, 1862 revolver in .36 caliber (which is really .38 caliber) with a ball size of .375" actual.

These are beautiful firearms, and a joy to shoot. The single action is classic Colt, and were produced in large numbers from 1862 thru the end of the civil war to around 1873. They were in production at the same time as the 1860 for the civil war, but were mainly issued to police departments and civilans.

Many were still popular after the advent of the 1873 Colts and black powder cartridges due to the fact that many did not have access to the newer single action guns on the frontier, and the cartridges for them.

Additionally many did not trust the new, self contained cartridges and retained the rifles, shotguns and revolvers they were familar with at that time. Beautiful little pistols.

20171107_071300.jpg

20171107_071316.jpg

Be there no doubts, they are deadly, as history shows. Wild Bill Hickock used the .36 caliber, Navy Colt in July of 1865 in the town square of Springdield, Missouri, in a one on one shoot out at 6 pm with Davis Tutt killing him with one shot that entered between the 5th and 7th ribs killing Tutt @ 75 yards or 70 meters!.

Hickock cocked his pistol (still on his hip) and warned Tutt not to come closer, the warning was ignored by Tutt, both men faced off in dueling style. When Tutt reached for his pistol, both men fired, Tutt missed Wild Bill, but Bill's ball killed Tutt in classic TV style which forever more set the stage for the cowboy shootout on main street, as we see it so often today.

BlankinLoud, Kris Ford and ehb like this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

...and there were many recipes for black powder, but charcoal, saltpeter and sulfur will do it.

Frogfur likes this.
  12. Digger

Digger Dingo Lover! V.I.P. Member

I note that the ABC here quickly turned this into another anti-gun rant with no recognition of the fact that it was the lawful use of a gun that deflected the perp from possibly taking more lives.

The power of words~

13. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

The hole used to dip the water via dipper or cup was called a scuttle, from the term for making a hole in a ship. Butt was the name for casks or barrels (then) to hold water.

Frogfur and ehb like this.
  14. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Not just the lawful use of a gun, but the lawful use of an 'assault' rifle.

As FF stated, evil will do evil, and criminals don't follow laws (by definition, but also by nature). That is the crux of it, No, that IS the issue. No matter of anti gun laws will stem or change those 2 unalterable facts.

Limit mags to 10 rds, and assuming that is all sicko can find, he/she will just carry more mags. Changing time is negligible. So EVEN if criminal adhered to the 'law', it wouldn't reduce squat.

Go door to door, after banning guns completely, assuming they could get the 2A repealed (and not start a civil uprising), and they will accomplish nothing good. All they will accomplish is disarming law abiding citizens and making the bad guys have an even easier time, day to day. The bad guys/gals won't follow the laws. They WILL stay armed and/or arm themselves. A new, illegal industry will pop up selling illicit guns smuggled in. Meanwhile, crazies will just use what is readily at hand, be it home made bombs, fire, vehicles, combinations, etc.

And the vast majority of anti-gun politicos know this too. There are some that are just zealots and actually hate guns. But, the others know that too many sheeple, just want the semblance of feeling safe, not actual safety. Thus you get the half arsed measures at air travel security. Anti gun laws server this same purpose, providing a false sense of security to the ignorant John Q Public. It gets them reelected, and that is all they care about.

15. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

It appears it was a lack of detail on reporting his status by The Air Force upon discharge that allowed him to purchase the weapon.
    Otherwise, he could not have gained access to one thru purchase. However, there is a black market that caters to anyone, anywhere, in any country on earth.

You can't drive a car on three wheels. Each element had to do its part in order for things to work.

16. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

At any rate, I've said my piece. I've never known anyone in my life who had used a gun in a crime related setting, Although I have had unknown customers approach me in years past wanting illegal modifications to fire arms, which were immediately shown the front door.

17. Roberteaux

Roberteaux Alien Hominid V.I.P. Member

You guys would be best advised to keep your pro and anti-firearms musings either to yourself, or to post them elsewhere.

Not my thread-- it belongs to the site and not even the OP. But that's my advice anyway.

Then too: since this thing started I figured that it was probably best to stick to tech-- and have said so repeatedly.

It's not as if this thread is on a different site than MLP, and some of the people you're thinking about are likely to wish to come in here and start the same crap they've been pulling in the Texas shooting thread. Is that what y'all want?

If so, just carry on.

--R :thumb:

BlankinLoud and Frogfur like this.
  18. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

I'm not usually a contributor to this thread (although I recognize the collective expertise that exists here), but I'm looking for some advice.

I'm a LTC holder and have always been a 9MM guy, but I now find myself wanting a 1911 in .45. I'd like to get some advice on which ones are pretty good at a REASONABLE price. Not bargain basement (I've looked at the low-end Rock Island Armory guns, nice but I don't like the minimalist sights), but also not Caviar budget ( I can't really justify spending Wilson Combat money).

IF you have a good recommendation for me, I'd love to hear it. Probably won't be my EDC, but I'd like to throw some of the larger slugs on my range. I have no prejudices, so tell me what you think ?

Thanks in advance. Bill

Frogfur and Roberteaux like this.
  19. Roberteaux

Roberteaux Alien Hominid V.I.P. Member

One thing you can do:

Buy an RIA .45 and upgrade the sights. You'll get a well-made handgun, built on Colt factory machinery... and so you'll end up with a decent milspec .45, but not a whopping price tag.

Just a thought. But personally, I've always found the factory sights to be sufficient for those purposes for which I own a .45.

--R

Kris Ford, Frogfur and bilbarstow like this.
  20. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

So..you've been dreaming of a turret..huh ?
    And, if you've ever wanted your very own turret, this O'l boy here is the man you want to see-