ideal rate of twist (MLP firearms and shooting thread)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by JMV, May 28, 2010.

1. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I'm looking to pick up a handgun for home defense in the somewhat near future. Mainly looking at .40 S&W and .45 ACP Semi-auto. It doesn't have to be too small for concealed carry or anything.

A friend of mine had a.40 S&W HK that I absolutely loved the feel of, so I might start there. So, gun experts of MLP - what say you?

GibsonByBirth and Deftone like this.

2. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

I like the .40 for it's capacity and with quality ammo it will do some serious damage.
    I prefer the Sig 226, I have mine in 9mm but that was more of a policy driven purchase than choice.

Look into Sig, and the Springfield XD series are great as well.

My XD is a .45 and a comfortable pistol to shoot.

MartyStrat54 and JMV like this.

3. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I would personally consider a shotgun so you don't have to worry about rounds penetrating through the walls and hitting innocent people/property.

4. Orion8251

Orion8251 Senior Member

It all depends on what you want to spend. I have shot the Glock version of the .40 and I was very impressed with it. It would be more than adequate for home defense. I personally prefer the .45 ACP. I have a Kimber that is an awesome gun, but a little pricey. I have shot many S&W .45's and they are excellent guns for the money.

Namelyguitar and MartyStrat54 like this.

5. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Everyone loves Glocks (mostly).

Springfield has a pistol called the XD to compete with the Glock. It hasn't performed as well as Glocks in tests.

Smith & Wesson make a pretty good pistol that's a lot cheaper than the Glocks.

The two most important things are feel and reliability. The Glock is pretty hard to beat in reliability but you won't like it if it doesn't feel right. Go to a local gun shop and hold the different pistols and see what feels best.

Another thing that is a concern (or plus) is that the glock has no "real safety." There isn't a switch to turn on fire. There is a button on the trigger that disengages the safety. Good for a quick situation where you might not think about disengaging the safety, but if you are worried about others grabbing the gun and messing with it, it may be a concern.

6. doitforvangogh

doitforvangogh Senior Member

I echo this.

Also, the .45acp will have much lower recoil (more of a push than the snap of the .40s&w).

If I were to buy a new handgun I would go with a Springfield XD-45.

But you need a Mossberg 500 12 gauge w/ a 20" barrel.

7. McLovin

McLovin Senior Member

I have a HK USP 45. and a Sig 226 9mm. both are really nice pistols but I think the HK is more accurate for me. Also, it is huge. God forbid if you ever had to pull it on someone, the shear size would scare the crap out of most would be intruders. I would go to a range to shoot a few and then decide. I have shot a few .40 cals but they seemed to have more recoil than both the 9mm and .45acp.
    The most accurate shooting auto I have had was a Berretta 92fs but I didnt like the location of the safety up on the slide.
    Glocks have a weird grip angle I cant get used to, kind of like a Lugar.
    Hope this helps.
    P.s. please be safe with any firearm. If you'r not in the military/police take some shooting courses. The ones I took where taught by police/fbi instructors and where alot of fun. They taught when and how to shoot but sometimes more importantly when NOT to shoot. You need to be aware of both the legal and emotional ramifications of pullling/shooting a firearm in self defence. Also, make damn sure no kids or other unauthorized people can get to it. Mine where stolen once, gun safe and all. Thank god the police recovered them and I got them back before some s.o.b. used them in a crime.
    p.p.s. I agree with the 12 guage pump being best for home defence. Just the sound of racking a shell would take care of most bad situations.

JMV likes this.

8. jomo

jomo V.I.P. Member

Colt 45 Defender. My favorite gun ever, very compact, comfortable, and easy to operate. I like Sig a lot too. I have a Sig Saur 9mm that is my range gun.

monkeyboy, Benjammin and JMV like this.

9. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

Yes, that's a good idea. I've got a Mossberg 500 that I got for around $250. Another member had problems with theirs, but I haven't had a problem with mine. I just shot it for the first time yesterday and put 60 shells through it.

10. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Home defense:

1) small yappie dog - best motion detector around. Get a smart breed like a small poodle, easy to train, loyal, protective.... best part, won't try eat you like a Rotti.

2) 12 guage. Very few noises catch a persons attention in a dark house like the 'click-click' as you chamber a round.

SteveGangi, electric head and JMV like this.

11. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Now that someone has mentioned the shotty, for HD the only way to fly is a good 12 ga, it's point and click stupid simple to use and with it being a longer barrelled weapon will deliver an accurate hit at ranges pistols are not best suited at.

Not to mention the psychological effect that racking the pump on a shotgun has, my first choice for things that go bump in the night is the Mossberg 500.

SteveGangi likes this.

12. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Boomstick:

[​IMG]

:thumb:

I couldn't live with myself if I shot one of my kids through the wall.

13. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Senior Member

Jason- visit a scene where a shotgun has been fired indoors, the effects on walls and such are much more dramatic than you would think.

Drywall is no match for 00 buckshot, so instead of one pistol round going through you have 9-15 BBs whizzing around.

14. Orion8251

Orion8251 Senior Member

+1....that's why I keep frangible rounds at the ready for my .45 at home.

15. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Where are you needing it for?

16. doitforvangogh

doitforvangogh Senior Member

Not 100%, but better than .230gr. FMJ Buffalo Bore.

17. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I lived in a house where a shotgun had been unleashed, actually. Yeah it was fairly dramatic, though the walls were solid wood (same in the house we're in now).

18. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

You are correct. Shotguns are devastating. Thats why you have to prethink out your kill zones. All my bedrooms are upstairs, I have clear zones of fire at the intruders below from the balconies.

If they make it upstairs thats a different plan. But hopefully the 'motion detector' will have alerted me with enough lead time.

19. JohnQ

JohnQ Senior Member

I'm a fan of HKs and 1911s but you might also take a look at the S&W M&P .45

20. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I actually have a small terrier mix that loves to bark when she hears noises like someone trying to come in. :thumb: I know they're one of the best deterrents.

As for the 12 gauge - my home is rather small with narrow hallways and like LP Junkie said, I would be more worried about the shot ricochet from the 12 gauge. I actually have a Mossberg 12 gauge over at my parent's house. It's just too huge and bulky to be remotely practical. Perhaps a Mossberg Defender or similar would be better, but at this point I'm still leaning more toward a pistol that I can tuck away more discreetly next to my bed.

I haven't been too fond of the Glocks I've handled in the past, but I'll keep an open mind and check out as many options as possible. Thanks for the advice, guys! :thumb: