Ibanez Art300?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by northernguitarguy, Aug 16, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

For $200, this looks like a steal to me. Comes with aftermarket HSC. What's the deal with these, anybody play one? Bit of drive for me to check it out, I'm hoping for some thoughts on playbility, neck profile, weight, etc. The active pups have been swapped out for passives, which is A-OK by me.

[​IMG]

2. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I've played one awhile back. I'd rate the neck as thin and wide, similar to PRS.

It's just like any other $300 guitar to me, which is to say, fun to play for awhile but once the novelty wears off, I've either sold all my sub $300-ish guitars, or put $200+ into pickup swaps and then sold them a year after that.

I've had Godins, LTDs, Epiphones, etc. and these ARS are similar to all those. Fun, decent, but eventually kind of bland. That's just my opinion and I don't mean to be a snob.

I think the biggest difference between guitars like this and higher end models is the tone woods used especially the fretboard. If the fretboard feel is right and the body density/sustain is good I'd say go for it. Most of these kind of guitars (again, IMHO, comparing my LTDs) I've found feel really slick and sort of plastic-y.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Me again ... they had one of these used for $299 at Sam ash today so I picked it up for a minute to provide more feedback for ya.
    The neck is thicker than I remembered, in fact it might be tapered because it gets really thick up by the heel. So thick in fact that the fretboard/neck sits a good quarter inch or more off the guitar body, almost like a hollow body.
    I didn't plug it in but it seemed to have a little fret buzz / fretting out above the 12th fret.
    Also, the fret spacing gets really super narrow up there which is not great for me.
    Personally I didn't like the way it played though it's a decent looking guitar and if you get it for $200 you definitely did OK.

4. northernguitarguy

No, I didn't buy it. I think for a bit more I could do better.

5. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I think so too. If you're after an Ibanez, the higher end newer Artist models sound really good. Like the AR325, AR420. I almost bought one on looks alone but glad I played one first because (to me) the neck was too thick and slick.

6. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

The Artist does have the best pickups of any Ibanez though.

7. northernguitarguy

They look heavy.

8. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Member

You can tell by looking?

;)

9. northernguitarguy

Lol. They look like solid 'hog body guitars. I'm after something lightweight for three set gigs. But I think I should slug it out and save for something more substantial.