I want a "simple" wah pedal...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Mockbel, Aug 6, 2017.

1. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

The Morley George Lynch V2 has a hold feature wherein you can pedal down to the sound you want and then stomp it to lock it in place. You've got your cocked wah sound that you want for as long as you want and just stomp it to disengage. Really cool feature.
    BP

Rhust likes this.
  3. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

Another vote for the Mini-Wah, $100 and 3 dip switch settings. It is under the cover for set it and forget it, but you do have the versatility. Also it is about the size of a Boss pedal.

4. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Spotted a new CryBaby GCB95 locally in Egypt at almost same price as I would pay to get it from Amazon.. I am thinking about pulling the trigger... I watched few demos for it and I think it is one of those that you can't go wrong with.. very basic wah sound..

Another one offered is the Behringer Hell Babe.. too good to be true... tons of features at very low price.. reviews on Amazon are very confusing.. a bunch of 5 stars vs a bunch of 1 star !! Any experience with this wah pedal guys?

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

no, but I've actually played and owned both

6. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

and which one you preferred?

7. sonar

sonar Senior Member

No. The real world can be a much different place.

Eric R likes this.
  8. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Area 51 is really nice, but a little pricey.
    I currently like the Vox 847.

9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I already posted that I like the Crybaby Classic. To my ears, it sounds much better with the Fasel inductor than whatever they use in the Crybaby Original

10. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

That's the one I've got my eye on, but it sounds like it's out of the OP's budget range and might have more features than he desires.

Mockbel likes this.
  11. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

With some fact change.. i wont get it from abroad so i will have to stick to limited options available locally.. excluding the 535Q and Kirk Hammet signature.. i have these 2 to choose from:
    Cry baby original GCB95 or Behringer Hell babe
    Should be an easy choice?

12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

the 535Q is the best, man... I just set mine to the "jerry cantrell" setting years ago, and never moved it since...

the GCB95 is ok, at best... and no way would I recommend a behringer wah...

Mockbel likes this.
  13. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Seriously , the OP wants simple. Does this sound simple?
    The Crybaby 535Q is the Swiss Army knife of wah pedals. It provides control over the most important wah parameters, making it easy for you to create your ultimate wah tone.

Its six-position Range Selector control allows you to choose from six different frequency ranges, each position based on the unique tonal characteristics of our most prized wah specimens. The Variable Q control allows you to take the 535Q's response from narrow and sharp to broad and subtle with the twist of a control. Once you've got your sound, make sure it gets heard with the switchable boost-adjustable up to +18dB that can create endless sustain on any note.
    BP

Mockbel likes this.
  14. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Set it once, and forget it.

15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I owned a 535Q before and sold it so I am not planning to get another one actually... I know it is the most versatile Dunlop way but not my target at the moment

16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

If you want to sound like Kirk Hammett, get a Dunlop Crybaby. When I bought mine, there was only one model. :hmm: Even with 57 Classics, and early 2204, greenbacks, and an old fuzz, it sounded 80's modern, to me.

If you want to sound like Jimi, get a Vox 847. I find the 847 to be much more "vintage" sounding. Don't know why, don't know how, it just is.

I have had these same two pedals for 25 years or more. The Dunlop remained only as a backup to the Vox. Truth be told, I don't play much wah anymore. :oops: But if I did, it would be the Vox.

17. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Interesting... i watched a video on YouTube about some wah pedal facts and secrets.. the first one was that VOX and CryBaby are exactly same pedal but different market names !

lakeburst and mdubya like this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I don't know how they are manufactured now, but mine (Vox 847 v. CryBaby) sound completely different. The Vox is much more "talkative" with a much more pronounced "wah". Even though I kept more CryBaby, when I think about it, I would rather play with a wah than play the CryBaby.

Something to think about: you can adjust the position and sweep of the pot with the teeth that turn the pot. that allows you to have more bass or treble in your sweep.

I like Phil, but I am not 100% sure he is absolutely right about everything. Good dude, though. :yesway:

Mockbel likes this.
  19. tzd

tzd Senior Member

I'm sure that was right in the beginning but now even a Cry Baby doesn't sound like a Cry Baby because Jim Dunlop has more than 20 different Cry Baby's.

20. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I have just got the Original CryBaby GCB95.. it is NEW with box and warranty papers but it is the one with white logo plate which I guess is old .. that's weird but it is new.. it looks new.. it sounds very good.. no scratching sound or any signs of wear on it...
    Can anyone tell if there are really any differences between this one and the newer ones with black logo plate other than the logo plate itself and the battery compartment?

This is the one I got...
    [​IMG]

While this is the one I see often now...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017