I want a Gibson. Head Vs Heart!?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by 13thSpider, Jun 24, 2018.

1. 13thSpider

13thSpider Junior Member

I've been doing my research, googling, getting opinions, finding out as much as I can about Les Pauls and even though I know that there are ''better" options out there, and that Gibson of late have got a bit of a less than stellar reputation in terms of business and QC, I still really want whatever Les Paul I get to be a Gibson! However with my budget if I want a Gibson it will need to be used.

Am I being totally irrational here? Especially as I may very well end up buying blind?

Should I get over it and look at the likes of an FGN or a Tokai? Will it mean getting more for my money if I was to buy new?

dissaffected and drpietrzak like this.
  2. anticarnist

anticarnist Senior Member

You are normal. I went through the same thing myself. Check out the tribute - really a lot of value. Truth is if you want a Gibson, any other purchase will just prolong the inevitable.

3. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

The QC stuff is overblown. My 2018 is flawless.

dc007, lakeburst, jeff_farkas and 6 others like this.
  4. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Senior Member

I'm the same way. Even though other brands are perceived to have better quality, Gibsons seem to "fit" me better.

5. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

Get the guitar of your dreams and if it must be a gibson, let it be a gibson. If you go with your head, you will always look at that guitar as "the guitar that isn't the Gibson I always wanted". Coming from many years of experience. Get the Gibson of your dreams and be happy about it. Good luck on your search!

6. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

My first guitar was a Gibson (335) and I've got a lot of them in the stack.

But things have changed. I really don't have a lot of nostalgia involving 70-year-old rockers *or* their guitars, and honestly, you can get a much better guitar for much less money these days. It's a bit like dreaming about a '57 Chevy and then getting one in 2018 and finding that the driving experience is old, clunky and dangerous, and that the hot chicks who are attracted to the car are 70-years-old as well. There are companies that will help you put a lot of money into one of the old clunkers to make it handle, accelerate and brake like a modern car, but then you've spent a lot of money, changed everything and it's no longer a '57 Chevy, is it?

Your head will tell you that you can get a better guitar that does all the same things that the Gibson will do and make all the same sounds, but for $500 or less. And you can have that guitar with a neck that will be wide and thin if you prefer it, and that it will have an ebony fretboard and real MOP or abalone inlays and jumbo frets and neck-through construction, smooth neck heel and the same binding on body and headstock as a Custom and a finish that will protect the guitar and not discolor, check, crack, chip or outgas nitric or sulfuric acid. Can't get all that stuff on a Gibson. Your head will tell you that a *cheap* Gibson has only the logo to prop up the price. It's every bit as much a knockoff as the Asian imports, but priced higher and not nearly as well done.

If you're working with some predisposition that says that a "Gibson" is the only way to go, buy it. But IMHO, it's the guitars that Gibson has priced over $3500 that really carry on the whole Gibson thing, and definitely not the stuff that sells for under $1000.

7. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Not all Gibsons were built with binding and MOP inlays. They have a history of building electric guitars for the plebes since the '50s. They are still manufactured the same way, but perhaps with cheaper or non-earth threatening materials. A Studio or a Tribute is CNC'd just like a Standard is, with or without weight relief, depending on Gibson's whims. No bling but still more labor intensive than a Junior or Special.

Some of us don't want a guitar that sounds like a Gibson, or looks like a Gibson. We want a Gibson, irrational as that may sound.

8. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Um -- nitrocellulose lacquer and the solvents associated with it are extremely dangerous worker-threatening materials as well as volatile organic compounds that threaten the atmosphere. Manufacturers like Taylor have learned to virtually eliminate all that by using a robotic arm and fixture that sprays a more even (and thinner) coat of nearly 100% solids material that will actually protect the guitar, all without endangering workers OR the atmosphere.

I've got nothing against people who irrationally want *a Gibson.* I've been there, done that, but I've been through the 12-step program already.

dissaffected and 13thSpider like this.
  9. 13thSpider

13thSpider Junior Member

These replies really represent both sides of the internal conflict I'm having!

I know that I could buy the likes of an FGN or ESP E-ii brand new for the price that I would pay for a used Gibson Standard and this is what's making it hard.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity (guitar will be a 40th Bday present) and I'm not in the financial position to be able to get my hands on this level of guitar (Gibson or otherwise) for the foreseeable future, if ever ( 5 kids, my own fault lol).

There's absolutely no doubt that part of the wanting a Gibson is because I've grown up watching my idols play them, but then you see so many other brands etc being played nowadays (primarily thinking of ESP here, from a metal point of view) that it dilutes that idealistic point of view.

dissaffected likes this.
  10. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

Gibson fans will tell you to buy Gibson, MIJ fan will say better to buy MIJ. Its all true, its all false, its all personal opinion, experince and needs.

My opinion isnt more valid than a FGN user opinion. You need to create your own, better if playing both and picking the one you like more, especially if that is gonna be one shot only.

Good luck!

dissaffected, Pop1655 and LPaddicted like this.
  11. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Head and heart?
    You want the one that grabs you by the willie when you walk past.
    The one that you know you have to close up in the case if you have to be somewhere on time because, if it's not, you'll have no choice but to strap it on and be late.
    The one that says, "Come here, honey...I know how to scratch that itch you got."

12. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

I understand all of the positions that there are great guitars available for less. Better than Les Pauls (let's not include the lesser LP models for this discussion)? Arguable so. But I suggest that only Gibson makes a Les Paul. Others, as said, could be better, but the fact remains they are not Les Pauls. And it is not as if the Gibson Les Pauls are junk by any stretch of the imagination. There are some really great ones out there.
    So if you really want a Les Paul, get one. If you want a great guitar that is like an LP, you have other choices.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    dissaffected, Greco and 13thSpider like this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I am a PRS guy, and am VERY pleased with the tones I get from my various Singlecut models. I am also a FIRM believer in that if you want the Les Paul sound you NEED a Les Paul. It is Gibson's formula that makes that tone. Personally, I am happy enough with the "LP type" sound I get from the PRS'. When played side-by-side with friends using Gibson Les Pauls, my PRS' will sound different. Not better or worse - the LP players dig the sound of my guitar, and vice versa.

Rambling. Here's the thing...if you want the Les Paul and it's the one chance, get it. It WILL give you that tone. Other guitars will come close - but they won't be IT.

dissaffected, Breezin and 13thSpider like this.
  14. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

The same can be said about many things. If you have your heart set on something and you are able to responsibly get it at the moment, you'll always regret if you did not act.

15. Rds

Rds Senior Member

As said it's whats good for you. All I can reference is the 16 Les Paul traditional I bought new. Quality on it is excellent. Lots of other good axes out there too.

dissaffected and 13thSpider like this.
  16. 13thSpider

13thSpider Junior Member

I've never actually played a PRS before but anytime I've been watching YouTube comparisons etc, they've never grabbed my attention tone wise when compared to a Les Paul or indeed a Strat. But I appreciate YouTube is probably the last place to go for a proper comparison.

Having said that they are meant to be fantastic guitars, and my father in law is bringing his PRS ( a singlecut SE) so I can try it out next week.

dissaffected likes this.
  17. Greco

Greco Senior Member

PRS is the guitar that pretty much everyone's head would buy. They're ergonomic, they use great woods, they have "stunning" tops, they have great playability and all the right parts in sensible places. But then for some reason not many of us own PRS's do we? If you want a Gibson Les Paul then nothing else is going to fill that hole.

18. kiko

kiko Senior Member

19. Vintager

Vintager Junior Member

If you want a Gibson, get a Gibson. Easy formula. Having budget in mind, if you buy a used Gibby, you can always sell it in the future for +- the same.

20. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

It's nice to see polite varying opinions and open mindedness.
    Personal experience has turned me into an MIJ guy.
    Sounds like you need a Gibson.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a used guitar!!!!! That's fact, not opinion.
    I like the Tribute suggestion. Even better, I've stumbled across a couple of "as new" used Tributes that were incredible bang for the buck.
    Do your homework and be patient. The perfect Gibson that fits your budget is out there. Go find it.

lakeburst and dissaffected like this.