I think this might have been the best weekend of my life.

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by alstev, Oct 2, 2017.

1. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I got a Kemper on Friday, my left hand is a mangled mess, and my mind is blown. I didn't even crack the manual, so I don't even know what 90% of the buttons do, I just jammed out on the pre-sets all weekend. I got the floorboard, and haven't hooked it up yet, I haven't downloaded any rigs, so I haven't even scratched the surface which blows my mind even more. I had really high expectations, and I thought I might be setting myself up for disappointment, but nope, just tones, tones, tones. My fret hand is a mess so I think I'm gonna hit the manual, and figure out what all these buttons do.

Liam, cybermgk, Mr Insane and 14 others like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Open Mind Equals Better Experiences.

3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

That is awesome!

So glad you are having all the fun you hoped you would have. :yesway:

FWIW-I am still riding that high 6 months after getting the AX8. New experiences all the time. Great tone all the time. Never enough time to experience all of the possibilities.

I have posted several times about going to play a specific model on the AX8 and while scrolling to get to the model I was intending to play, I stop for a quick play on another, then another, then another, etc, etc...and never even get to the model I meant to play. :acoustic:

4. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I can relate! I haven't hooked up rig manager at all, and I'm 8 months in :shock:

BUT, I will very soon... I have a Helix arriving tomorrow and finally got the right USB cable( yes, that was my obstacle, a cable! ) so I could do the firmware update... I'm a stubborn bear! :laugh2:

5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Awesome. I am over a year into the Helix and I am still discovering new, cool techniques for setting stuff up. I just got Helix Native and have been having a blast with that. It is taking a different set of parameters because the monitoring system/usage is different than Helix Rack...

Meaning, Rack is always "set up" using the EV ZLX12P. Native is ALWAYS used via JBL LSR monitors, so the patches are set up differently. Rack is used to provide my live tone and "fun" playing in the room. Native is ALL about setting up recording sounds used for tracking. Hi and Lo cuts are approached differently, amp EQ is approached differently...with Rack I am going for the "amp-in-the-room" whereas Native is the sonically shaped, produced guitar sound.

It's fun!!!

Glad you are loving it. The BEST thing about these new modelers is how you can grow into the machine. I still am only scratching the surface with Helix!!

6. matthew bear

OP, what are you using for speakers?

7. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I'm just using headphones for now, they're KRK KNS-8400's. The music store I bought my Kemper from carries Mission Engineering gear, so I'm thinking I'll save up and get a Gemini 1.

8. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I definitly feel like this is gear I can grow into, I've only been playing for a couple of years, and my progress had kind of stalled, I was spending more time reading about different amps and pedals, and listening to clips then I was practising. I really feel inspired again,and it's a great feeling knowing any amp gas I get is only a couple of button presses away. It's really cool to know I'm all set if/when I get to the point where I'm playing out with people too. This really feels like the last amp I'll ever need.

matthew bear likes this.
  9. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

The Missions are the best I have heard...not that I have done much of a large comparison. The powered versions are not cheap but you can switch from the flat response option to an EQ feature that allows you to shape the tone to be more guitar amp-like if that is your preference. While the flat response I thought sounded great, a few friends think FRFRs in general are a bit sterile and like the tone shaping option on these.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    mdubya and alstev like this.
  10. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

CONGRATS. I'm truly happy for you. ENJOY!

What style of music do you play?

mdubya likes this.
  11. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Hard rock and old metal. AC/DC is religion for me, I'm loving the JMP tones I've tried so far.

12. cherrysunburst00

We dig the same, My Friend :cheers2: (root beer for me :laugh2:)

mdubya likes this.
  13. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I think I predicted a mangled hand. EXACTLY how my first weekend went.

frankv likes this.
  14. cybermgk

DUDE, you need to get past the factory rigs, seriously. They have some good, some pretty good, and a bunch of average. At least get the free rigs from the major sellers they now offer as a sampling. You WILL thank me.

matthew bear and frankv like this.
  15. cybermgk

Cherry we are going to get you to forsake your legacy amps yet.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  16. cherrysunburst00

One NEVER knows what the future holds: First I said "NEVER will I play a Les Paul" Then it became "Well, only a GOLD TOP" Then, "Well only a Honey Burst, but NEVER a Cherry Sunburst :laugh2:"

Well, I never have gotten that Gold Top (yet), and my First Lester was Ebony (I SURE wish I would have kept that, for sentimental reasons :io:)

And, what the heck is my passion :hmm: Hmm, Cherry Sunbursts for the win

Rhust, mdubya and frankv like this.
  17. matthew bear

Mine was bought used and loaded to the hilt with mbritt, top jimi, TAF and so on... but yes, I intend to soon, I have my trusty USB cable and As soon as the Helix and I get properly acquainted I'll get my act together :laugh2: Right now it's only helix for me, as I want to "get it" before passing any judgments.

Rhust and mdubya like this.
  18. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I downloaded Rig Manager this morning and got my laptop hooked up to my Kemper, my mind is blown again. I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to computers, and I'm fairly new to guitar, so I'm in way over my head, but it's a lot of fun figuring this gear out.

matthew bear and frankv like this.
  19. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I was pretty impressed with a certain demo on the Top Jimmy VH pack! Sounded fantastic.

20. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Rig Manager is so good, I organised the list of profiles so the highest rated rigs are first, and I've been scrolling through them playing as I go. I've never sounded so good, I could never dial my amps in like this, I can't believe this is real life, there's over 10,000 rigs in this list. Best piece of gear ever in my opinion, worth selling my amps for sure.

Rhust and cybermgk like this.