I stole a USA PRS from Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by PakWaan, Mar 5, 2018.

1. PakWaan

PakWaan Senior Member

I’ve always been a Les Paul guy, but I played a PRS SE recently and was really impressed with the feel and the quality of their Korean line. Since then I have been toying with the idea of picking one up. Yesterday, I was in Guitar Center looking at a Marshall DSL40 when someone walks in with a PRS gig bag and tells the guy behind the counter that he needs to sell it. I’m trying not to be too nosy, but I’m curious what he’s got so I move a little closer. He pulled out this gorgeous ruby red flame US-made PRS CE 24 that looks brand new. Wow, would I love to have that, but definitely out of my price range. So I went back to looking at amps.

A few minutes later, I wander back by the counter again and I hear him say “Well, if that’s the best you can do, I guess I’ll have to take it. I don’t have much choice”. I walked over and complimented him on the guitar and asked him what they offered him for it. He said $700. I said “I’ll give you $800 for it right now.”. He said “Done”. He looked at the clerk, who laughed and said “Just take it outside guys”. After a quick trip to the ATM down the street, I’m the proud new owner of a mint 2017 CE 24 that I stole right from under the nose of the store I love to hate, for the same price I was going to pay for the offshore model.

0F75E1E1-2CB5-48AF-AB7F-78825C160EA5.jpeg

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

dude that is awesome, way to stick it to The Man

NorlinBlackBeauty likes this.
  3. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

For as much as I value my local GC, they really do shaft people selling used gear. Pure pawn shop mentality.

Nice score, congrats!

Gtarzan81 and bulletproof like this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Whoo boy!

5. Danomyte

Danomyte Senior Member

:cheers: Nice. Love that color too man.

One day I'll get a PRS. One day.

6. Roman4405

Roman4405 Senior Member

7. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Hopefully you were not the 2nd guy to steal it that day !!! Haha Congrats !!!

8. mdittman

mdittman Junior Member

While I'm no fan of GC may I point out that was both morally and legally questionable. Like someone pointed out already you have no idea if the guitar was stolen. I'm sure you wouldn't have anything to do with it if you thought it was stolen but in reality you have no safeguards in place. When a store or pawn shop buy a guitar there is a police form with the serial number and an ID required plus a 30 day hold before it's able to be sold. This gives the victim a chance to report it. Many people on this forum have had a guitar stolen and can tell you how violated it makes you feel. As a guitarist I feel an obligation to not encourage thieft by providing an outlet for the sale of stolen equiptment. I do buy from pawn shops but only ones I know follow the rules. Also there may be laws in your area that make buying out from under a store like that illegal. Whether or not you like the business they have lots of costs involved in keeping the doors open such as rent, employee compensation, inventory, advertising, ect. That seller came there because that store had invested the time and money. We all lament the loss of brick and mortar stores where we can try before we buy but buying like this undermines the store and ultimately ourselves. I'm really not trying to beat up on you but instead get people to think before buying. Support your local stores and maybe they will do likewise. Stay safe and enjoy your new guitar.

9. PakWaan

PakWaan Senior Member

Well, actually, I do know it wasn’t stolen. He originally bought it from the same store 6 months ago and had the receipt. The sales clerk even mentioned that this guy always takes good care of his stuff so I wouldn’t have any trouble with hidden damage - apparently he buys as much from them as I do and we are both well known in the store. As a retired police officer, I’m suspicious of everything.

bullnose, smk506, Chilli and 7 others like this.
  10. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

That is a def steal, better buy some lotto tickets or aleast some scratch offs

11. bungle

bungle Premium Member

Nice job!

12. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

literally any guitar ever purchased used could have been stolen.

13. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

That’s a stellar deal - very nicely done!

14. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

If you were a store owner and I did the same thing on the other side of your counter would you be happy?

I know...it's GC so it's ok.

:rolleyes:

Dick Banks likes this.
  15. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

I really don't think GC minds too much. Their national used inventory is massive and I'm sure they aren't in a big hurry to add to it. They have like a kabillionzillion guitars for sale.

16. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

Wow that's a great deal, nice guitar!

17. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old school Premium Member

Nice steal! Happy NGD :)

18. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

With that logic you could never buy or sell anything off CL or Ebay. It's a risk anyone takes when buying used gear. I get the issue of potentially undermining the store. Seems like that GC didn't have a problem with it.

I think all GC's buy gear based on average Ebay price divided in half. The're pretty much no haggling. I actually kind of like that even though you're not getting the most dollar for your item. At least you know going in what you're going to receive.

19. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I have had managers at guitar center tell me selling them gear should really be a last resort and anyone would be better off selling on craigslist. they get it.

smk506, Sp8ctre, Gtarzan81 and 2 others like this.
  20. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

:applause: