I start my new job this morning.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Alligatorbling, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

I don't want to see any more posting on MLP during working hours.

Signed,
    H.R.​

;)

2. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I worked in a rehab for a couple years. I would be lying if I said some of the people didnt get on my nerves because they were basically man children but one of the good things was they were usually in and out in a month.

a lot of people there really appreciate anyone who is willing to help.

3. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Big news guys.

Back story. Over the past year ive been getting back into the work force. I left a job I had had for 10 years in April of 2015 after finally getting clean and sober. I took the year off to work intensely on me. I went to one, sometimes two NA meetings a day. I threw myself into recovery and was able to go to as many meetings as i did because i was not working. After a very long period of not working I decided I wanted to reenter the work force despite being able to apply for disability because of my mental illnesses. found a part time job working in the deli at food lion, i stayed there for a year.

I recently just left there about two weeks ago. I was not getting very good hours and the pay was not that great. They hired two new people on so the hours got even more scarce. So, i went to indeed.com and started looking at everything they had in my area. I found a dining service associate part time position at a rehab/nursing home, so I applied. I also applied at a call center. I got a call from the call center the very next day. I went in and took about an hour and a half of computer tests that were very, very hard. You had to do simulation calls, they would give you their SSN, address, phone number, and name. In about 5 seconds. You had to remember it all word for word number by number and enter it into the software. I did not do good at this as my short term memory is not very good. Anyways long story short I didnt pass their tests so i didnt get the job.

That evening the nursing home called me and asked if i could come in for an interview. I said sure, the next day i went there for my interview and apparently really impressed them as they wanted to hire me on the spot as a dining services associate (id be doing various things in the kitchen). I was hired on as part time/casual. Id not be getting a lot of hours, but the pay was better than the deli job, and i figured the hours couldnt be much more scarce than what i was getting at the deli. I put my two weeks notice in at the deli and got ready to change jobs.

I started my new job this week. Today was my 2nd day and yesterday was all orientation, today was orientation for the 1st half of the day. This is where the big news happens. While in the orientation/conference room the director of dining services comes in and pulls me to the side and asks "How would you like a full time position as a cook? We will also give you a raise." I was really surprised and said well YEAH. So I completed the rest of my orientation and went straight to the kitchen and started shadowing the cook.

I train for about a week and a half and then they cut me loose. So what I thought was going to be a part time/casual position turned out to be a full time position with the opportunity for over time. annnnd. better pay!

Today was a good day. I wont lie its a bit overwhelming as i did not expect to get promoted on my 2nd day of work before i even officially started my job, grated its a positive overwhelming, its still overwhelming. The cook has a tremendous responsibility in the kitchen, not only are you the cook, youre also responsible for all the other dining service associates. your in a way, the boss of the kitchen. i was in awe watching him do so many things at once and thought to myself "wow... this is gonna be a lot to learn." but im keeping a positive can do attitude and will learn it and thrive at it.

Thanks for all the kind words and support guys. It means a lot.

annnnnnd, if that is way to long for you to read here is the tl;dr version

I got hired at a new job, they promoted me before i even officially started, gave me full time, and a raise.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Heck yeah, Brother. CONGRATS

5. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Congrats! Cook in a high-volume kitchen sounds like a great deal of work. A lot of organization.

[​IMG]

Byron999 and Malikon like this.
  6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Nice!!! It can be crazy in the kitchen but can do it mang!

7. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

That's a great opportunity. I'm serious, running kitchen is a Big Shoes job.

8. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Dude, that's awesome!

9. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Wow!
    Great news indeed.
    Take it easy.
    Each day brings something good.
    :thumb:

10. redjunior

redjunior Senior Member

Xlent, Bling!

11. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Good for you! Wish you well!

12. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Silver Supporter

Bling,

This is awesome news! Hang in there and know that we are all pulling for you.

13. Laggspike

Laggspike Senior Member

14. Chilli

Chilli Senior Member

Well done 'bling great news.

15. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :applause:

Evidently it shows. They were looking to fill that spot when you interviewed. Just not showing their cards. I play that game for a living. Your first impression showed em "he's our guy".
    You're a special guy. You can be just what they were looking for. Go get em.

jlu52 likes this.
  16. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

that's great Bling! Congrats!

With your energy levels I bet you're going to be a great cook. That's a fast paced job.

jlu52 likes this.
  17. KTM

KTM Senior Member

Wow, that's awesome Bling! :applause:

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Member

Go bling Go!

19. Hack

Hack Senior Member

Pizza day!

[​IMG]

rabidhamster, Malikon, Who and 2 others like this.
  20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

Congrats!