I simply cannot play diminished lines

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by 357mag, Jul 15, 2017.

1. 357mag

357mag Member

...and it pisses me off. I love the sound of diminished arpeggios. They are too hard to play. Let's take a few note example of what I'm working on.

10th fret on the B string
    7th fret on the B string

moving to the 8th fret on the G string
    and back to the 7th fret on the B string

I can't even execute this sequence at any fast speed. The first two notes aren't that hard since both are on the B string. But then I gotta move the pick to the G string and what is even worse is after that I gotta move the pick back to the B string.

How does a guy play three consecutive notes when each note takes place on a different string?

That back and forth business from one string to the adjacent string is exasperating. I've tried lateral wrist movement. I've tried more like the Yngwie finger and thumb movement. It still is way too hard.

I don't know how these pros do it.

2. DotStudio

DotStudio Silver Supporter

Sounds like you just need to get accustomed to alternate picking. It's the easiest way to play fluidly (outside of sweeping). Unless I'm misunderstanding.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  3. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

4. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

5. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

sweep picking. it just takes practice. I do my dim stuff like...

-----------12-15--------------------12-15-18^.5)15-12-------------------------------
    --------14-------14------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----/15-------------12---12-15-18-----------------------18-15-12----12\-9~~~~--
    ------------------------14--------------------------------------------14-----------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -(0)--let ring-------------------------------------------------------------------------

mixing legato, picking, and sweeping. So the first part I'd sweep; the rest I'd hammer/pull-off, and end with a slide that ends on the root.

(the .5 is a halfstep bend and release,..wasn't quite sure how to tab that.)

Diminished is tricky because you really want to use some phrasing to avoid sounding like Jazz or Yngwie. So I use slides and bends, or weird sequences sometimes like groups of 5 instead of 3. Plus string jumping and position shifts help too. Anything but the typical "yngwie lick" that most people do.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  6. malcostuart

malcostuart Senior Member

you don't know how these pros do it, if ever you find out please tell us all and ill promise to do the same

7. jeff_farkas

Just a thought or so.
    First I would make sure that I can play diminished arpeggios clean when I do it slowly,
    Then I would get my hands on a metronome and work with that speeding it up about 5bpm every 3 days practicing 15 or so minutes 3-4 times a day.,

In the end the only way to get good at this is with time and practice,

8. 357mag

357mag Member

One of my biggest problems is I have always used too much motion when I play the downstroke. The past few nights I've really been concentrating on using much less motion. I gotta do it slow for awhile, but last night when I was practicing Armed And Ready it was sounding quite good.

There is nothing wrong with the Yngwie style. His approach to picking is unparalleled. He's simply the master.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  9. jeff_farkas

Good to hear that you're making progress.

10. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

my point was don't stop there; where most people do.

Look at the lick I posted, explore your options. There's a lot you can do with diminished beyond the basic runs.