I played an Orange Custom Shop head the other day...

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by GibsonKramer, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

WOW! Oh my gosh, I had no idea Orange could be so damn simple, yet so versatile.

I believe it was called the Custom Shop 50. Its switchable for 30 watts, or 50. Its got an interesting high (frequency?) trim knob, at higher volume levels. It takes away that high pitched tone that hurts your ears. Kind of a trip.

The tone controls are backwards, so if you don't know their hieroglyphics, its interesting for a few minutes. But with that interesting trim the tone section... it can still get that Marshall vibe, and I used to think Orange was like a Peavey/Marshall mix... this sounded all its own. It was good. I would have preferred a little more gain, how the headroom was incredible. Especially with that funky trim knob.

It is freaking loud! Though, I was sitting directly in front of an Orange 2 x 12. I'd really love to hear it through my 1960AV.

They want $2700 for it. Brand spanking new. I saw a used one for $2300. I might eventually buy it, but I wanted to share if anyone else was interested. I'd never seen one, and I know it was a special order, from the UK.

2. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

is the the custom shop OR 50? Oranges are really cool, unique amps :)

3. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

You have seen the light! :) that amp is ridiculously cool. With a single channel and no fx loop, it seems like it is too limited for the price and then you play through it and it all makes sense.

Classicplayer likes this.
  4. jojo

jojo Senior Member

Those are cool amps !

5. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Silver Supporter

Loved my Tiny Terror but in the end Marshall won out . . . . . . . . . .