I need some help picking a guitar for my nephew

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Filipem, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

Hi guys,
    First off I posted here as I wasn't sure where on the forum this pertains if it's wrong mods please move at your discretion.

I need a little direction here as I've never purchased a guitar for a child before. The little guy after a tough battle with brain cancer has finally almost fully recovered and has asked his mom for a guitar. She asked me what would be a good acoustic guitar for an 8 year old and I honestly had no idea. I'm looking for a used one to try to get the best one I can with a $200 budget and because well he's 8 years old and I don't think it's going to get the hell beaten out of it. I'm thinking something with a small body and a short scale and somewhat good tuners. Tone or sound is irrelevant as this point. If he takes to it ill get him something nice when he gets a bit older.

Any help is much appreciated.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

When someone is looking for a bargain acoustic guitar, I always say Yamaha. Their short-scale models are very well made.

jeff_farkas likes this.
  3. Caretaker

Caretaker Premium Member

I agree with yamaha or a used baby taylor.

4. JonR

JonR Senior Member

For an 8-year-old I'd recommend a 3/4 size. Nylon string ones are cheap and easy to find (and easy on the fingers), steel-strings may be rarer.
    8-year-olds will struggle with an adult-size acoustic, even a short-scale one. But if he's enthusiastic enough he should be able to get something out of anything.
    One other advantage of a 3/4 size instrument is it will obviously he "his" - he will have a sense of ownership which he might not feel with one designed for a grown-up. (A grown-up would look silly playing his 3/4 size one.)

5. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

Great advice thank you everyone

6. Meclazine2

Meclazine2 Member

Yes,

3/4 size acoustic is the way to go. Tanglewood make a beautiful 3/4 acoustic model.