I need some help building my dream pedalboard.

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Page/lespaulfreak, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Page/lespaulfreak

Page/lespaulfreak Senior Member

Hey there, folks!

Wow, it's been about two years since I've posted anything on this forum. I bought a Boss ME-80 multi-effects unit last year and after picking out which effects I use the most, I have started saving up for analogue pedals to build my dream pedalboard. I am aware that the pedals that I want are going to cost me a lot of money and that's without adding a pedalboard from Pedal Train, patch cables and power brick into the equation. But, I'm willing to save up and get them no matter how long it takes me (It's like saving up for a car, IMO). Seeing as it is a lot of pedals, which power brick or bricks should I get to power them all? Should I also add a buffer to the list? Is there anything else that you guys recommend that I should add to the list or keep in mind when buying all of these pedals and then rigging them up? I'm a total noob when it comes to analog pedals so any help is welcome.

The pedals that I am saving up for are:

Ibanez:
    Tube Screamer
    Wah

Electro Harmonix:
    Big Muff Pi
    Deluxe Memory Boy
    Memory Toy
    Holy Grail Nano Reverb
    Small Stone
    Soul Preacher Compressor
    Lester K Rotary

Ernie Ball Volume pedal

MXR:
    Phase 90
    Micro Amp

Tc Electronics Poly Tune

Line 6 FM4

Boss:
    DS2 Distortion
    DD3 Delay

Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master

Attached Files:

2. Les Kiwi

Les Kiwi Senior Member

One idea when you have them all to save time putting them where you want on the board then potentially having to take them off and shuffle around forever, is to take a photo of each one and print them out at actual size (or just use the box picture). Then lay the pics on the pedalboard where you think you want them until you get the order right for you. There are multiple resourses online about what basic order to put things in and one of the best youtube sites imho is "That Pedal Show" thought their videos tend to be abit overly long.

3. Page/lespaulfreak

That's a really good idea! I went on a website made by PedalTrain called pedalboardplanner.com which lets you choose from one of their many pedal boards and place each pedal on them so that you have an idea of which pedal board you need (I had to choose their biggest one) and the order of the pedals. I followed a guideline that I found on the web that showed the order in which different types of effects should be placed in the signal path.

Les Kiwi likes this.
  4. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Wow, that's a lot of pedals. It can be done cheaper if you know which clones to buy. Also, a loop-strip (guys, you knew this was coming) of some sort would be good to minimize the massive path you're gonna create. A dedicated buffer isn't necessary when you have so many buffered pedals listed.

5. Page/lespaulfreak

What is a loop-strip? I've never heard of such a thing when it comes to pedals

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Get the Tc Electronics Poly Tune V3. It has their buffer built in.
    BP

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Kind of like a master switch control, where you can add loops depending on the size of the strip. Only the pedals you want in the path are there, other than that, you are true bypass to your amp. I use this one from loop-master.com, perfect for someone on a budget. There are better ones that are programmable, allowing you to set the path as you wish.

https://www.loop-master.com/looper-strip-p-138.html?osCsid=ciekb9hgcag42144m8egp4d4b0

8. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

So many pedals to find, so much money to spend.
    I respect your will to finalize this project but I can't help but think
    that with today's modeling units, I personally wouldn't spend the time,
    energy and money on a sophisticated pedal board.
    For example, Big Muff: Which one do you go for?
    An original one, a second generation original one?
    An "original re-issue" one? The one after that?
    That alone would drive me crazy!
    :D

And the same goes for the TS-808 or TS-9, etc.

Good luck with your project!
    :thumb:

9. Page/lespaulfreak

I see your point. But, I find modelling units to be complicated and limiting. With analogue pedals, you can place them in whichever order you like, tweak with their settings on the fly and they just sound better (To my ears at least after having used a few multi fx units during the past few months). Modelling units make you go through menus and menus of different variations of the same effect and then make you create presets that can't be edited on the spot and the sound quality is not really the best. The effects found on modelling units sound like what they are. An imitation of an effect that will never sound as good as the actual analogue pedal.

I'm not putting down modelling units, mind you. I am currently using a Boss Me-80 and it would be hypocritical to put it down considering it's been one of the better multi fx pedals that I've had the pleasure of owning.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  10. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Not putting it down either but the ME-80 is not on the same level as a Line6 Helix or other top of the line modelers.

But your point in having pedals is certainly valid.
    I have an old second version (1973 ? ) original Big Muff and wouldn't sell it!
    Ibanez Phaser, Electro-Harmonix Doctor Q (!) and all sorts of shit.

I use three or four pedals at the most now.
    I don't even plug the old Boss DD-3 anymore!

I gotta find an old Chorus though.

Ah, the never ending gear search.
    We're all sick somehow!
    :D

11. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

I would go with the EVH Phase 90.

12. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

As far as the Big Muff Pi goes, I recommend a JHS Muffuletta. It'll be more expensive but it has five classic Muff variations plus a tweaked JHS interpretation. To me, with my admittedly limited Muff experience, the sounds are more refined than the originals without the downfalls (such as potentially limited range of tone knobs). I have a Muff Nano which is an award winning pedal and the Muffuletta puts it to shame, makes it sound limited and gnarly. Every Muffuletta setting is useful and the tone control is awesome. The other option is the Muff Deluxe, which I came close to buying. It 's versatile, a range of classic tones can be had but it requires effort to find them. I preferred the no nonsense approach of the Muffuletta.

See, I've saved you money because when you get addicted to Muff tone you'll already have 'em all :thumb: :dude::cheers:

13. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Go for it!!!
    It's been said on the forum here before, .... buy used! stopping by your favorite guitar store hangouts might Pop one of these up cheap, plus you try before you buy. Or maybe Craigslist?

14. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

+1 on the clone idea. Joe at LMP could build you superior versions of several of those pedals, at significant savings.